SGT Bergdahl freed after 5 years as a POW

2»

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    This issue sure slapped the countries attention away from Bengazi and the VA.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    This issue sure slapped the countries attention away from Bengazi and the VA.

Precisely what it was intended to do.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    This just in from the Dr. db news line: Desperate for a distraction from the exploding VA scandal the present administration decided that it could feign concern for veterans and aid Afghan terrorists in one act by arranging for an exchange to result in the release of a long held American POW. Counting on a complacent and compliant media Mr. Obama signed off on the release without consulting congress as required by law. While most Americans agree that the POW should have been brought home and that consulting congress is like asking Foghorn Leghorn to keep a secret they also question the wisdom of the deal unless the 5 top level terrorists have been injected with tracers. The move, which would have been a success 30 years ago, collapsed under the weight of independent internet based research leaving all but the most hardcore leftists more cynical about the White House than ever.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    The Good news is that if I ever go off the deep and become a Traitor to my country, I will be welcomed back with open arms and as a Hero

I can't believe McCain isn't beating this to death.

I wish Nick Rowe was alive to kick this guy in the face
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    The more I hear about this, the more I smell a rat. I'm even hearing that this soldier was a collaborator with the Taliban.

I wonder if the army will convene a court martial proceeding against him?

As for the 6 soldiers who died trying to rescue Bergdahl, I wonder how their parents feel about this? BTW, that's a rhetorical question.

His fellow soldiers had to sign non disclosure agreements and they opined he was a deserter.

This whole thing smells of fish. His dad praised Allah for his son's return at the televised press conference....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    There is evidence this guy was a deserter, and in addition he made statements to the effect that "America disgusts me." The father praises Allah and actually looks like a Taliban. Something is wrong with this picture. He should have been left to rot IMO.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    There as of yet no evidence that he was a traitor, but there is plenty of evidence that he is a deserter. Believe it or not, MSNBC has had the best coverage of this that I've seen. This morning, one of his platoon mates was on and he said that Berghdal left his post, which is a very serious charge. Even when the talking head woman tried to get him to ease up, he did not.

And can't go by looks. The Duck Dynasty guys have bigger beards than Berghdal. I think Obama made an awful trade, personally.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    Leave it to The Daily Mail, UK to print something worth reading about the situation. Long article; good read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647397/Revealed-Bowe-Bergdahl-left-note-comrades-telling-leaving-start-new-life-Army-general-says-faces-desertion-charges.html
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

And can't go by looks. The Duck Dynasty guys have bigger beards than Berghdal. I think Obama made an awful trade, personally.

Not to be argumentative but the duck guys look like American hillbillies and I'm sure have never thanked allah for anything. But the Berghdal guy did and his beard has Taliban written all over IMHO.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    It's what he said, not how he looked.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    There is evidence this guy was a deserter, and in addition he made statements to the effect that "America disgusts me." The father praises Allah and actually looks like a Taliban. Something is wrong with this picture. He should have been left to rot IMO.

I think it sends a positive message that we won't leave out guys behind.

Get him home, then court martial him. Assumption of innocence and all that.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    This just in from the Dr. db news line: Desperate for a distraction from the exploding VA scandal the present administration decided that it could feign concern for veterans and aid Afghan terrorists in one act by arranging for an exchange to result in the release of a long held American POW. etc

I don't much believe in conspiracy theories but I do think this is partly true, that the Obama regime has seized upon this genuine news story as a way to divert attention.

Thankfully the investigations into Benghazi and the VA will continue after this dies down.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist, either. But I virtually KNOW this swap was a political move, although a num-nutted one. The taliban-looking father is actually (Fox News) a conservative-leaning Christian, a former UPS driver who grew his beard as a calendar of his son's time in captivity/desertion.

I've been watching every interview I can see about Bergdahl. Universally, his platoon mates think he deserted, and now I believe it too. Whether he was a traitor, I don't know. If he furnished info that led to the death of American soldiers, he deserves to die.

I was impressed by the interviews of these former soldiers. They are well-spoken and dedicated to America. Outstanding and articulate.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist, either. But I virtually KNOW this swap was a political move, although a num-nutted one. etc.

I think you're right on this. It's common to think that the Obama regime is super-aware and skilled Machiavellians but they're in fact a bunch of inept local Chicago mob politicians who got lucky. The regime thought that they'd get applauded on getting this idiot released and didn't anticipate the backlash.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    Just saw this on the interwebz:

MAD-Magazine-Trading-Private-Bergdahl_538e1730c295a6.07331124.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    The guy's dad seem to know his way around Arabic language.

http://allenbwest.com/2014/06/bombshell-first-words-bergdahls-father-white-house-arabic/
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Arabic or Pushtu?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

That's all well and good but Obama has reversed decades of American resolve that we do not negotiate with terrorists.
    Look for kidnappings of diplomats and soldiers as bargaining chips to get more Gitmo detainees released. I reckon that's a back door way to shut down Gitmo. He could even brag about fulfilling that campaign promise.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member

There was an investigation when we went missing, there won't be an assumption of innocence.

He should be returned to his command and because of all the world wide coverage, he should be given an administrative discharge; probably a dishonorable [DD].
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member

I think it sends the message that all Americans traveling overseas are now political trade-fodder, be it Wambli, a soccer-mom, or a complete deserting jerk-weasle.

I could be wrong.

But, I'm not.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    I think it sends a positive message that we won't leave out [our] guys behind.

If he were rescued via a raid where all the ***holes holding him were subsequently killed, I'd agree.

And yes, I do appreciate the idea of bringing back our US soldiers if at all possible. But in this case I think it was a raw deal and poorly done. The Taliban won and we're left with plenty of egg (or something else) on our faces.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    They were way off the mark on this latest blunder even the Dems are whining about it. What were they thunking???
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Did anybody notice in the video of the exchange the American shaking hands with the Taliban guy with his toilet hand!
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member

I wish Nick Rowe was alive to kick this guy in the face

I have a signed copy of Five Years to Freedom. Met Col. Rowe several times during my 8 years at Ft Bragg. I was floored when I learned that he was assassinated. Great man.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,413 Senior Member

Ridiculous! Six men (eight by some accounts) died trying to find this deserter. Add on the number of lives lost by the 5 ranking terrorists before they were captured. Now add on the number of lives that WILL be lost thanks to their release.

YEA, HE WAS WORTH IT...:roll:
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    His dad was speaking Pashtu...

The more and more I see being said about this guy, The sicker I get.

Now the administration is saying that maybe he was the only sane one in the squad and the rest of the Soldiers were pyschos...Really?

It wasn't just the six 4-25 guys that were KIA in a search. His actions SCREWED and IMPACTED EVERYONE in the AOR. Air assets diverted for critical missions, folks got left out in hide sights and OP longer than they should have...I'm talking collecting dew on ponchos so they would have water for the day type left out. SOF guys doing 10-11 hits at night, taking injuries trying to get to him and get intel on where he may be. Marines lost support assets. This goes way deeper....And then all the life and effort that went into catching the five guys we turned over? Really....I will be the first to tell you, there is not a measure on the life an American Service member. We have had multiple KIAs in some rescue operations for just one guy. And it was all worth it. This was not.

WHETHER HE WORKED WITH THE TALIBAN OR NOT, HE DESERTED HIS POST!! He willfully walked off the COP and into the town. There is no disputing that. The first investigations had source accounts where he actively sought out meetings with local taliban leaders. So it doesn't matter if he wanted to drink chai, play chess, or talk about the finer points of radical Islam...HE IS A FRAKING DESERTER. plain and simple.

But yet a LT from bragg now has a 20 yr sentence for being caught up in a good shoot. Maybe he should have deserted to the Taliban for a few years too.

This doesn't tell me that if I get caught, every effort will be made....No this tells me the current Administration and the poeple allowing this crap to happen don't give a damn. This tells me that criminals get attention. This tells me that if I sympathise with the enemy, I will be okay. This tells me the Administration doesn't care about the men and women that make things happen on the pointy end. I would rather you spit in my face than tell me you think this was the right thing for the administration to do.

Hell, if I don't make selection this first look for SGM/CSM, maybe I should desert. That jerkwad got promoted twice for deserting.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    In buying 5 Taliban generals for 1 American deserter, the Haqqani Network made the best deal since Peter Minuit bought Manhattan for beads and trinkets. The real payoff for the Haqqani Network will be when they sell the Guys from Gitmo back to the Taliban for a fortune in our American dollars skimmed from foreign aid by corrupt Afghan government officials.

Are we sharp, sharp, sharp, or what!
2»