Long 500 miles in a day.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,102 Senior Member
Drove 500 miles round trip to Key West with a friend to pick up his new (used) flats boat. I haven't done a run like this in a while! And technically, we're still driving with about 100 miles to go.

Key West is beautiful as usual. Sunny, 90 degrees... wish we had time to wet a line!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    I liked fishing at Key West
    back in the 60's it was.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I liked fishing at Key West
    back in the 60's it was.

The 'Conch Republic' is in world of its own. I was down a few years ago when we went o a songwriters convention (country) where you hear folks who write many of the hit songs perform them, not necessarily the artist. I remember hearing Kim Carnes sing Bette Davis Eyes there.

I was there a few times as a little boy in the 50s and early 60s, but don't remember much except the causeways/bridges getting there. I never have liked Miami much.

In spite of the weirdos there, I enjoyed it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Squadron jettisoned a RF-4B when we were there, a tail chase mid air collision; the lead a/c made it back to NAS Key West and the other crew went for a walk.

No crew injuries.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Squadron jettisoned a RF-4B when we were there, a tail chase mid air collision; the lead a/c made it back to NAS Key West and the other crew went for a walk.

No crew injuries.

Speak Army English NN....I was a ground pounder. You talking airplanes RF4B ???? Range Finder, 4th Generation B Model/////////////
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    With a spear on the nose, too.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Been spearfishing, & fishing out of Key West since the late 40s, still one of my favorite places.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Been spearfishing, & fishing out of Key West since the late 40s, still one of my favorite places.

JAY

Dang, FLA used to be a peaceful serene place and even in 50s/60s there was lots of places with nobody around on the beaches.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »

JAY

I wasn't born til '61 so you have a head start on me but it's one of my favorite places too. It's just such a dang PITA to get to from here.
    I'd love to show it to my wife some day. If I see we're gonna do that, maybe I'll look you up to see if you're gonna be in town.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    I wasn't born til '61 so you have a head start on me but it's one of my favorite places too. It's just such a dang PITA to get to from here.
    I'd love to show it to my wife some day. If I see we're gonna do that, maybe I'll look you up to see if you're gonna be in town.

When ya take her down there go to the Rum Barrel bar & restaurant , go upstairs great music, food & drinks, best of all the price is right.
    I ya want some off beat local color let me know.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    I was stationed in Key West at the naval base in submarine sonar school in '72. Good fishing back then. Overrun with hippies back then, though. They'd all go to the end of Duvall Street and wait for sundown and when the last sliver of sun went out of sight they'd applaud. And then they'd light up. They didn't bother anyone; just smoked grass and sold trinkets to the tourists.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Dang, FLA used to be a peaceful serene place and even in 50s/60s there was lots of places with nobody around on the beaches.

Still places like that. Just pick a key. Trailer or rent a boat and just go park on some nameless key Gulf side and enjoy.

For me it's fishing...bones and tarpon :drool:

Around Sugar Loaf Key, Duck Key and Torch Key...those flats and tidal areas...heaven! Some nice shallow spots along the 7 Mile Bridge too that are stellar places to tighten a line.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Dude! you drove by my house AND a gun show......

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Dude! you drove by my house AND a gun show......

D

I know it. I thought about guving you a ring, but we literally had no time to stop anyplace.

We're planning another trip soon though!