Home Main Category Hunting

I thought finding elk was supposedly HARD...

2»

Replies

• gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    dunno about elk, but I witnessed my dad hog-tying a Holstein cow that tried to gore him, and cutting off her horns with a hacksaw. After that, she would run thru the barn wall before she'd let dad anywhere near her. :-) That was 56 years ago. I also saw him beat down a milk cow who was in a stanchion, using the 4" square (1x6 a foot long top on it) milking stool. That was for trying to smash him between her hip and the stanchion wall. She was hanging by her neck within seconds. I was 7 or so years old, and I knew that the sort of rage he was showing was bad news, so I ran and got Mom. She cursed for the only time I ever heard such a thing! and it was "What the hell are you trying to do, KILL her? She's the only cow we GOT!". :-) That cow wouldn't let dad near her after that. Mom had to milk her.

When I was 16, a 300 lb (or so) steer was giving us a ridiculously hard time getting him off of a truck. We were trying to keep some of the others on the truck. As the thing ran past me for about the 20th time, I just wrist flicked it on the forehead with about 18" of pick handle. A crack opened up in its head, grey matter came out and he fell on his CHIN. Laid there for 30 seconds or so, while my boss chewed me out. Then he got up, turned 180 degrees, and RAN off the back of the truck. The MESSAGE got thru, that time! Animals CAN learn to fear one man more than others. We thought that we'd find him dead the next day, but he was fine.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,735 Senior Member
    1. Sounds like you and your old man were kinda hard on the livestock
    2. What the HELL does this have to do with elk?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    they're both large animals, you're unaware of that? The point was sawing horns/antlers off makes them skittish around humans. You can't read, obviously. Anybody who AINT hard on 1000 lb animals that try to kill them is a fool. I'd have just shot both of those cows, myself. My maternal grandmother was gored to death by a milk cow that had a new calf, and a family friend would have been killed (trapped under and angus bull's forehead) had his wife not shot it in the head with a Woodsman.22
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Wow....Just WOW..............
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,735 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    they're both large animals, you're unaware of that? The point was sawing horns/antlers off makes them skittish around humans. You can't read, obviously. Anybody who AINT hard on 1000 lb animals that try to kill them is a fool. I'd have just shot both of those cows, myself. My maternal grandmother was gored to death by a milk cow that had a new calf, and a family friend would have been killed (trapped under and angus bull's forehead) had his wife not shot it in the head with a Woodsman.22

Nobody was talking about horns or bovines...we were talking about antlers and cervids... Stay on topic...Jeez...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,722 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nobody was talking about horns or bovines...we were talking about antlers and cervids...
    There you go, getting all sciency and shtuff...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    when I was 16, a 300 lb (or so) steer was giving us a ridiculously hard time getting him off of a truck. We were trying to keep some of the others on the truck. As the thing ran past me for about the 20th time, I just wrist flicked it on the forehead with about 18" of pick handle. A crack opened up in its head, grey matter came out and he fell on his CHIN. Laid there for 30 seconds or so, while my boss chewed me out. Then he got up, turned 180 degrees, and RAN off the back of the truck. The MESSAGE got thru, that time! Animals CAN learn to fear one man more than others. We thought that we'd find him dead the next day, but he was fine.

Damn he found the hunting forum too.

You hit the animal hard enough to crack the skull OPEN and it lived? You are nuttier than ten pounds of squirrel crap. There is so much wrong here I am at a loss for words.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Man this guy makes me look like Elmer Keith and Buffy and cpj look almost Normal...

:buff2::yikes::fan::roll2::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.