Speaking of .410s, new Hornady Flex Tip ammo with .41 cal bullet and two balls

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
This may be the best option out there for those .410/.45 Colt revolvers, best of both worlds.

http://www.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Yawn. I guess it would be ok if you can remember to save the last one for yourself.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,900 Senior Member
    I'll pass and use my .327
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Well..if it has 2 balls.............it should be more effective than Lance Armstrong for defense........"Lord, I apologize to you and all the little pygmies of New Guinea."
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    IF I was FORCED to use a .410 fer human defense, I'd surely give Hornady a shot (pun intended).
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    If you can't hit them with one projectile, the other two aren't going to help either. Here is a real SD load in .45 Colt...
    http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-185-GR-FTX-Critical-Defense/
    Jermanator wrote: »
    If you can't hit them with one projectile, the other two aren't going to help either. Here is a real SD load in .45 Colt...
    http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-185-GR-FTX-Critical-Defense/
    I have these:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-225-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    The ammo in the OP is 296 ft-lbs divided by 3 for one hit.

Now your down to below a .22lr and equal to a .32 sw long.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I'm a fan of the Critical Defense stuff but IMO looking for good SD ammo for that gun is lipstick on a pig. They're bulky and heavy. If you want to carry something like that, there are way better options.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I'm a fan of the Critical Defense stuff but IMO looking for good SD ammo for that gun is lipstick on a pig. They're bulky and heavy. If you want to carry something like that, there are way better options.
    A Red Hawk is about the same size as a 629
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Good grief, copper thieves will be breaking in for that ammo!!!

The bullet looks so big that one ought to be able to go after elephants with it.
    Penetration (in): 9
    Expansion (in): 1.70

Box Qty: 12 $42.00

Proud of em ain't they
    Yes and they are just for those judges and look alikes, probably find that the development costs were not worth it.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    What better to shoot in a stupid gimmick gun than stupid gimmick ammo!
    NN wrote: »
    A Red Hawk is about the same size as a 629

I didn't realize we were discussing those 2 I thought it was about SD ammo for a Judge or Governor.
    I didn't realize we were discussing those 2 I thought it was about SD ammo for a Judge or Governor.
    Shoot Randy, the subject changes so much it is like being at a hen fest and trying to follow their conversation.

I knew we were discussing 45 long colt ammo, but, you can bet the house that I do not have a Judge or Governor.

Why get expensive ammo for a Judge, it might keyhole anyway.
    Shoot Randy, the subject changes so much it is like being at a hen fest and trying to follow their conversation.

I knew we were discussing 45 long colt ammo, but, you can bet the house that I do not have a Judge or Governor.

Why get expensive ammo for a Judge, it might keyhole anyway.

Look at the thread title, "Speaking of .410s..." meh, typical thread drift. This one has gone on long enough, I'm surprised someone hasn't brought up bacon flavored vodka or something.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    So.................the 410 has balls?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    So.................the 410 has balls?

Yes.......but they be wee little things....hardly worth mentioning
  • dlddld Member Posts: 375 Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Yes.......but they be wee little things....hardly worth mentioning

so if you pick up a lady (sic) and she happens to to have balls.......but they be wee little things....are they hardly worth mentioning:tooth:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    What better to shoot in a stupid gimmick gun than stupid gimmick ammo!

Good question. This ammo is Stupid Gimmick ammo for a Stupid Gimmick Gun. .410 + SD Handgun=Judge!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    All this is market hype and BS anyway. It's a great conversational topic but has nothing to do with the real world.

If I want a good self defense firearm, I'll just get a 1911, which btw I already have. The 1911 has a very good track record because it's been doing it for about 103 years very well thank you.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Good question. This ammo is Stupid Gimmick ammo for a Stupid Gimmick Gun. .410 + SD Handgun=Judge!

Better than no gun at all, I reckon.

There was a feller on here who would totally disagree on the .410s ability to be a SD weapon.....he posted many things/rants about the qualities of a .410, but he got banned.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Better than no gun at all, I reckon.

There was a feller on here who would totally disagree on the .410s ability to be a SD weapon.....he posted many things/rants about the qualities of a .410, but he got banned.

Oh yeah, I agree, way better than no gun at all. And I wouldn't feel too unarmed if I had a .410 by my bed at night. I sure wouldn't want to get shot with one. But I just think this whole Self Defense hoopla thing has gone ballistic with all the new supposedly great guns for SD on the market, when in my opinion, the best of the lot has been with us for over a century.
    snake284 wrote: »
    the best of the lot has been with us for over a century.

Dang a .22 fan :jester:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle
    Big Chief wrote: »

Yeah that too.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    I'd want the second one not the first; I expect that soft cast would do too much leading.

With the short barrel of the Judge, it's not in contact with the barrel long enough to cause leading! :rotflmao:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

dld wrote: »
    so if you pick up a lady (sic) and she happens to to have balls.......but they be wee little things....are they hardly worth mentioning:tooth:

Well one time in the French Quarter ..............:yikes: .....:tooth::silly: