Would you open carry a sidearm if it were legal?

124

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I admit to being irritated at supposedly intelligent and reasonably articulate people who think they have to search the new for some weird or unrelated image and then post it, as if we were all idiots who were incapable of reading English and needed visual aids. Hello out there? Just write the words and trust us, we'll understand.

    And also, Pel, it was Zee who started slamming ME. He implied that I was either a liar or a moron. But when I post a comeback, I'm the one who's the baddie. Duh, read what he said about me first, and then see whether you posted a criticism of that. Didn't do it, did you?

    So if you want to appoint yourself judge and referee, see who started the tat-for-tat and wise up, pal. Or Pel.

    Uh Sam, where did I slam you? Where did I imply you were a liar or a moron?

    I believe I posted a picture in response to the OP...........and you started giving me "hints". What is it that I "started" with you in this thread?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I admit to being irritated at supposedly intelligent and reasonably articulate people who think they have to search the net for some weird or unrelated image and then post it, as if we were all idiots who were incapable of reading English and needed visual aids. Hello out there? Just write the words and trust us, we'll understand just fine.

    And also, Pel, it was Zee who started slamming ME. He implied that I was either a liar or a moron. And in his keen 3rd grade-level poster, indirectly referred to me as a "whiny pretentious attention whore."

    But when I post a comeback, I'm the one who's the baddie. Duh, read what he said about me first, and then see whether you posted a criticism of that. Didn't do it, did you? Why not? He's the one who called me the names. I didn't call him a name, did I? I simply criticized his somewhat silly method of using internet posters or video clips to do his thinking for him, something he should be easily capable of speaking for himself about.

    So if you want to appoint yourself judge and referee, see who started the tat-for-tat and wise up, pal. Or Pel.

    Well, I still have a secret man crush on ya ...ya old fart. :love:
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    And also, Pel, it was Zee who started slamming ME. He implied that I was either a liar or a moron. And in his keen 3rd grade-level poster, indirectly referred to me as a "whiny pretentious attention whore."

    But when I post a comeback, I'm the one who's the baddie. Duh, read what he said about me first, and then see whether you posted a criticism of that. Didn't do it, did you? Why not? He's the one who called me the names. I didn't call him a name, did I? I simply criticized his somewhat silly method of using internet posters or video clips to do his thinking for him, something he should be easily capable of speaking for himself about.

    I see you edited your post.

    I would, however, like you to quote and point out the exact post in this thread where I called you a "name".

    I'll wait with baited breath. Go ahead. Show me, if you please.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    I went back and read this thread and the only thing Zee called you was awesome. The attention whore comment was Eli and he didn't say it directly about you. So to paraphrase several of you posts lately, Read S-L-O-W-L-Y Sam so you will understand. Then apologize to Zee for falsely accusing him of being anything but the fine upstanding individual he is.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    ........being anything but the fine upstanding individual he is.

    Well, that's a stretch any way you look at it.

    :-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Well, that's a stretch any way you look at it.

    :-)

    I was feeling generous.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I think if you're going to, you'd best be the walking, talking poster-child for polite, responsible gun ownership when you do. Also, you should be exceedingly well locked on with your awareness and skills.

    With open carry, you're showing two flags - the obvious "don't mess with me" flag, but also the "I'm a normal gas-pumping, grocery-buying citizen, just like you, but I take responsibility for my own safety and you have nothing to fear from me" flag. I'm not an "image" kind of guy, but image is part of the educate-the-sheep side of open carry. It ain't the place for scruffy beards, beer-breath, plumber's butt, piercings, and a lot of tattoos.

    Also, you should be exceedingly well locked on with your awareness and skills, because while 999 times out of a thousand you're a deterrent, the thousandth time you may be inviting the stupid.

    Got that covered, and yeah, I'm for it.

    You have just offended the majority of our fine citizens, with that discriminatory comment.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Didn't offend me, my small beard is neatly trimmed, I got no ink, don't drink beer anymore, and have no piercings that were intentional.

    And I don't do plumbing.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Uh Sam, where did I slam you? Where did I imply you were a liar or a moron?

    I believe I posted a picture in response to the OP...........and you started giving me "hints". What is it that I "started" with you in this thread?

    I apologize to you, Zee. I meant to say Eli and put your name by accident (because we'd also been sparring a bit) and the name stuck.

    Sorry for saying it was you who implied I was either a liar or a pretentious etc.

    It was Eli who did this.

    I should have read my posting better. Sincere apologies to you.

    But not to Eli, whom I ask once again to read my depiction of the 2 near-shooting incidents I experienced, and to tell me where I screwed up. Of course he may take the former stance instead of the latter, and consider that I'm lying and made up these incidents. I don't but have proof, as I tossed the police report copies long ago (these occurred over 20 years back). But happen they did.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I apologize to you, Zee. I meant to say Eli and put your name by accident (because we'd also been sparring a bit) and the name stuck.

    Sorry for saying it was you who implied I was either a liar or a pretentious etc..

    No worries. You're old. Tis expected at you're age. I still think you're awesome.

    (Yes.............friendly sarcasm)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I went back and read this thread and the only thing Zee called you was awesome. The attention whore comment was Eli and he didn't say it directly about you. So to paraphrase several of you posts lately, Read S-L-O-W-L-Y Sam so you will understand. Then apologize to Zee for falsely accusing him of being anything but the fine upstanding individual he is.

    Apology to Zee has been duly posted. At least when I screw up I take the responsibility for it. I make mistakes a lot (just ask my girlfriend!) Zee and I've had our tussles in the past but he didn't really insult me.

    However Eli did. He clearly stated that "...if you post that you've had several instances where you've pointed a gun at someone, I automatically assume that you're either lying, or you're the type of person (read: f\/(#!^& moron) that goes out looking for situations that will allow you to point your gun at someone."

    And he also did the 3rd grade show & tell poster, in which he says the person is a "whiny pretentious attention whore"

    ALL these comments are made about ME because he even quoted my statement about his posting, so the slams are directly made to me.

    Is this somehow difficult to understand? I spoke about people (myself included) who've had actual real life near-shooting (or actual shooting) self defense experience and he replied with the accusation that I'm a liar or a moron (and other things) -- please check his posting, #70 in this thread. Okay?

    Now after reviewing what he said in DIRECT response to a posting of mine (he even quoted my post), please evaluate what he said. And since it was in direct response to my post, tell me why it's not personally directed to me? I fit the criterion "...if you post that you've had several instances where you've pointed a gun at someone" exactly, because yes, I HAVE had such and yes I HAVE posted such.

    So I took it as a personal insult. Wouldn't you, if the person actually copied your post and was replying to it? It wasn't oblique, it was pretty direct.

    Also note that I never insulted Eli. He took my posting and jumped on it. Which is fine, but if 2 members here get into a little flame war, please do kind service to all and see who started the spat first, and see who called whom names, and then post responses accordingly.

    My mistake was to accidentally type Zee's name instead of Eli's. As I've said before, I never go back and "fix" my errors to remove the embarrassing thing I did but I DO apologize for errors. As I've now done for with Zee.

    Eli is another matter, and I'm now asking him to review the 2 near-shooting incidents I posted and tell us all where I went wrong and what he would have done to make it all keen.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    No worries. You're old. Tis expected at you're age. I still think you're awesome.

    (Yes.............friendly sarcasm)

    Apology accepted. I honestly did goof up big time by putting your name instead of Eli's. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Much of this back and forth stuff (insults beside) comes down to a point I made above. So I ask those here to consider this again and give it some thought...

    Most of us here are cognizant of armed self defense. We've had many threads about how each of us prepares for the possible event. There are all sorts of variations on this: Some have plenty of long guns (ARs and such) as "fall-back" weapons with sidearms for the first response. Some (myself included) have that pistol ready and think that it's all over in 20 seconds win or lose. Some here actually wear a sidearm in a holster in their homes most of the time. One person posted that he keeps a pistol under a towel while in the bathroom to prevent being caught "with his pants down" (my statement, ha ha) if the baddies enter while he's disposed.

    Regardless of the types and modes of self defense preparation, each to his own and so on, we have prepared in our own way for that possible event.

    And nobody here criticizes that desire or that act. We may go back and forth about the specifics and discuss alternatives, but the central aspect of being prepared with firearms is never questioned.

    So I ask this: Why, then, if someone here (me) has ACTUALLY HAD a situation occur in which his preparation went a step further, and was faced by a real life and genuine event that really DID result in that person "presenting" (drawing or aiming, etc) that firearm, then suddenly there's a chorus of jokes or snide remarks about bragging and such? This makes NO sense.

    Now if someone (say, me) posted "I was in a rough biker bar and playing this big biker pool, 50 bucks a game, and after maybe 10 beers, we got into a scuffle but I drew my trusty 1911 and pointed it at his forehead.... etc etc etc" that would be total BS and would deserve ridicule. On that I agree.

    But when someone (say, me) tells about an incident that occurred in which the person (me) was mostly an innocent side witness who decided to take action (see my post #79) it's suddenly "he's a jerk" time?

    My point is simply this: We all take sensible precautions and prepare as we consider best for that potential event in which we may be forced to use a firearm (hopefully not actually fire it) and nobody questions the general aspect of preparing, but then if someone is then put into a situation in which that firearm is used (pointed and aimed maybe), the act is ridiculed? Or even questioned as fact? Yet we read about this very sort of thing occurring in "Armed Citizen" and appreciate the story.

    If you think about it, you'll see that the second situation is a natural result of the first, nothing more.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

    Eli is another matter, and I'm now asking him to review the 2 near-shooting incidents I posted and tell us all where I went wrong and what he would have done to make it all keen.


    Sorry for the delay in response....I hadn't checked the PD forum in a couple days.

    First off, I've "known" you long enough that I don't think you're lying about any of these incidents.

    Don't need to go back to "review" your stories....you've posted them often enough that I could damn near quote them verbatim, so could most of the regulars on the forum.

    In these two instances I don't think you did anything wrong, I don't think you did anything abnormal from what anyone else would've done. However, you've before stated that you've drawn a gun on other people in your life (I believe that you've thrown the number 6 out there, but I may be mistaken). It is possible that you just have the worst luck ever, but I'd suspect that some of them come down to the stupid people/place/time/things principle, i.e., being a moron.

    The "attention whore" part comes from the fact than you post these two stories often enough that, as stated before, most of the regulars on the forum could quote them verbatim.

    The "gun knowledge" part was snarky and me just being a dick, I shouldn't have put that in the pic, I appologize.

    The "whiny and pretentious" part was just an observation on how (I think) you come across on the forum.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    Sam, I said it before. It's all in the presentation. In your case, I'll add the FREQUENCY of presentation as well.

    We know you had your little spats, brouhahas, tiffs, whatnots, etc in which you presented a firearm. Believe me, we know.

    You're almost flamboyant description of them and your "ice cold nerves of steel" cause eyes to roll and some folks to shake there heads. You're a writer, so maybe you can't help your style. But, there is a world of difference between reading your common presentation of those instances and "Armed Encounters".

    They state the facts and you take artistic freedom to............elaborate.

    We've heard it. Over.........and over.........and over to the point of pulling our hair out. It smacks of bragging and flamboyant pride.

    You asked. This is my perception and opinion. You want me to say what I mean? There ya go.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    It is possible that you just have the worst luck ever, but I'd suspect that some of them come down to the stupid people/place/time/things principle, i.e., being a moron.

    The "attention whore" part comes from the fact than you post these two stories often enough that, as stated before, most of the regulars on the forum could quote them verbatim.

    The "gun knowledge" part was snarky and me just being a dick, I shouldn't have put that in the pic, I appologize.

    The "whiny and pretentious" part was just an observation on how (I think) you come across on the forum.

    Well, one incident I may have been somewhere I shouldn't have been, time I helped a pal with his sister's stuff, she'd been living with some alky dude and wanted to get away from him, I offered to help my pal help her move, and the ex-boyfriend showed up. That was iffy and I might have been smarter to not agree to help. That's the ONLY incident I can rightly consider as willingly exposing myself to possible trouble.

    But the other incidents, I've just been there and cannot think of any way that I could have avoided such, other than psychically knowing ahead of time that I needed to leave my own home for a while.

    I've said repeatedly that I have ZERO idea why these things have happened to me. It's not that I hang out in sleazy bars or live in the ghetto. Nor do I frequent rough parts of town. I'm really at a loss to understand why.

    But another point -- as the occasions have warranted when threads turn to the actual self defense situations, yes I've said that I've had this happen to me. And I've posted a description of such.

    As for repeated postings, I've done this because I've been challenged on the veracity or facts or such incidents so I've repeated the story to help explain as best as I can. I don't discuss these in detail unless there's a need to.

    There are lots of us who may be whiny or pretentious at times, and I'm certain that I am among them. So keep your self sharp eyed and be SURE to post the "whiny" cartoon for ANY other member who steps out of line. That's the job you've assigned to yourself and we're all happy someone has chosen that life task.

    I do however accept your apology. I do NOT lie on these postings. I have NEVER made up any of these stories.

    We've got others here telling stories of hunting and fishing and boats and bikes and seemingly endless AR builds, debates about heavy & slow vs. light & fast bullets and all sorts of things, and I'm certain that members often repeat something they've posted in the past. I suppose we all do that, and if you want to call others out on this, you've got a big job ahead of you but I'm confident that you're up to the job.

    I admit to having told these incidents several times (and I think that about a half dozen is correct of the individual events) and because it's a more vivid tale than describing how a cartridge is wrongly crimped, it may stick in memory more easily.

    I've offered these incidents as "lesson plans" (informal as they may be) and as subject for discussion, so all of us can learn from them. Actual armed confrontations by total civilians (such as I am) are pretty rare and therefore if I can share my experiences so as to provide a means to better prepare ourselves for that rare event, so much the better.

    I try not to step on anyone's toes but apparently some here are offended that I've had a near-shooting experience and told about it. Those folks need to set up a special review board so I can PM them in advance for permission. Okay?

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You're almost flamboyant description of them and your "ice cold nerves of steel" cause eyes to roll and some folks to shake there heads.

    Yeah, I did say something to that effect once, that I wasn't scared and felt calm throughout. But I also think I gave the reason that I'd had good SD training, that I practiced a lot, and that I am simply not the type of person who's been very emotional, introspective instead.

    It has NOTHING to do with "steel" or anything like it. I've just been somewhat devoid of emotional responses most of my life, turning it inward instead. I'm thinking it may have come from being picked on in high school -- I was a short, chubby, and nerdy kid and I went to a rough inner city HS, and learned to keep it all in, as showing fear of bullies isn't good.

    That may have led to my being outwardly unemotional, even in a crisis or sad event. Having "presented" to a bad guy and not feeling fearful or nervous is just a small part of it. I've been in car wrecks, witnessed accidents, some awful, had family tragedy, and through most of it I've outwardly been neutral and calm-appearing. Inside maybe different but outwardly no emotional reaction. My Dad and my wife both criticized me on this, as have other friends over the years. So maybe after high school, I self-programmed my emotional appearance, I don't know. But to many, I've often seemed a "cold fish" -- at least on the outside during a crisis or emergency.

    I had tried to describe this and maybe the words I used were wrong or maybe just wrongly interpreted. I am NOT a "cold eyed nerves of steel" guy. I'm definitely not brave or fierce or anything close to that. I simply don't react visibly to danger or crisis or emergency. So when I tried to relate this, either by my description or by its being misunderstood, I may have come across as "steely eyed" or some such crap. I may have even used the wrong words when describing the event and therefore the wrong interpretation is my fault.

    Truth be told, I'm a bit of a cold fish, have always been, at least in my memory. And I've lost friends (and girlfriends) because I'm somewhat incapable of displaying emotions, at least outwardly. And so my reactions to any sort of emergency or tragedy, whether as a witness or being involved, are minimal at best.

    And THIS is why you guys may think I'm being "steely brave" in an armed confrontation, when in fact I'm NOT brave or anything like it. I just don't feel anything much.

    And this is the truth. And it's why my description of certain crisis events may have seemed bragging or showing how brave I am. I'm not.

    Hope this helps mitigate any misconceptions, okay? I'm on the level here.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sam can be cantankerous, pedantic, crotchety and a general PITA at times (especially when he is right or corrects one of us :tooth:) , but this joint wouldn't be the same without him. :group::group::group:

    Other times he can as pleasant and agreeable as they come.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

    Other times he can as pleasant and agreeable as they come.
    Yeah, but he can't nap all the time!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yeah, but he can't nap all the time!

    Originally Posted by Big Chief


    "Other times he can "BE" as pleasant and agreeable as they come."

    Crap I left out the word "be" , I'd better go fix it before Sam sees it! :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Sam can be cantankerous, pedantic, crotchety and a general PITA at times (especially when he is right or corrects one of us :tooth:) , but this joint wouldn't be the same without him. :group::group::group:

    Other times he can as pleasant and agreeable as they come.

    I'd pretty much agree with this assessment. Besides having, er, "nerves of steel" (ha ha), I've often gotten in hot water for saying exactly what's on my fevered brain. Not always a good idea.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yeah, but he can't nap all the time!

    Snuff... cough... "Er, what wuz that? I was just restin' my eyes for a minute, missed what you were sayin', didn't mean to... .... .... " zzzzzzzz...

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Well, anyway, carrying concealed at least has the advantage of not having to worry about someone coming up behind you and taking your firearm at the beginning of a holdup or whatever shenanigans are about to happen. Not having one or more eyes in the back of your noggin is a distinct disadvantage that evolution should have addressed a long time ago.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.



  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Whether or not you realize it but at your age and size you are an epic fail for a bad guy in victim selection. Sam, not so much.
    etc.

    Thanks, Razor -- I just saw your post, had missed it previously. What you say is a factor, for sure.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I was disappointed to read that at the NRA convention in Nashville next year, no guns allowed.

    I am surprised as there were no restrictions on concealed carry, having a CCW, in Indy for the Convention.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    There are many YouTube videos that show this open carry thing in action.

    Worth looking at.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Everyone is different.. I open carry on occasion.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    It is legal here and I open carry every now and then. Mostly when I leave work and don't feel like untucking my shirt to cover up. You see it quite a bit around here so no one really pays attention to it. There is a huge open carry group in Michigan.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • skoroskoro New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Nope. I like to be inconspicuous. I carry concealed exclusively.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Gladly. I live in MD and according to our AG only long gun open carry is available to MD residents for self defense. Of course if you suggest actually doing it the 2a powers that be wet themselves.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.