NRA backtracks, apologizes for criticizing Texas group’s open carry tactics

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,812 Senior Member
It looks like I'll keep my membership afterall...

“The truth is an alert went out that referred to this type of behavior as weird or somehow not normal, and that was a mistake. It shouldn’t have happened,” Cox told Cam Edwards.

“I’ve had a discussion with the staffer who wrote that piece and expressed his personal opinion. And our job is not to criticize the lawful behavior of fellow gun owners. Our job is to effectuate policy changes that expands and protects our members’ right of self-defense. So this is a distraction, certainly the media has had a field day with it,” Cox added.


http://www.guns.com/2014/06/03/nra-backtracks-apologizes-for-criticizing-texas-open-carry-tactics-video/
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
«1

Replies

  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,812 Senior Member
    What I find funny is so many gun owners were slapping themselves on the back "The NRA is right! Those crazy OCers are making us all look bad."

    It looks like there were planty of pissed off members that pressured Cox into apologizing.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    It looks like I'll keep my membership afterall...

    This is why I don't buy a lifetime membership.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    This is why I don't buy a lifetime membership.

    This is why I don't have a membership.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    This is why I don't have a membership.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

    Because Razorbacker doesn't have a lifetime membership?
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Because Razorbacker doesn't have a lifetime membership?

    Haha. No.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    I still think they are a bunch of fools showing up at a restaurant like that. It does not help our cause.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Because Razorbacker doesn't have a lifetime membership?

    Right, everyone here looks to me for leadership guidance and direction. When are you going to get with the program?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I still think they are a bunch of fools showing up at a restaurant like that. It does not help our cause.

    Like "those" kids in class, eventually they'll ruin it for the rest of us.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I still think they are a bunch of fools showing up at a restaurant like that. It does not help our cause.

    Agree. I cringe everytime I see someone OC just to stir the pot. Most aren't right in the head and these idiots do nothing but present themselves as the 'overweight uneducated redneck stereotype' that the media loves to cover. It drives one more nail in the proverbial coffin giving people like Bloomberg and Feinstein all the power and support they need to destroy our Constitution. I look at these morons in the same light as a I do the sit-in crowd ...they have absolutely no individuality and lack any form of critical judgement.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    NRA- - - - - - -RINO- - - - - - -same sort of problem, they've gotten too cozy with the oppositon. GOA and the Tea Party are both groups with enough C.O. Jones to get things done!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I was in a pet supply store once with my children looking for some stuff. I saw a guy in the store also browsing who was open carrying a 1911 commander. I remember smiling about it. This guy wasn't drawing attention to himself, nor was he looking around to see who would notice. If these "protesters" would behave like that, I'd be fine with it. But strapping on your favorite rifle and strolling into a public place just "because I can" is foolish IMO. To me, it's not about what's legal; it's about decorum. I don't need to flaunt my rights to exercise them. I'd rather do so in peace and be left alone; as long as those who oppose the right don't attempt to infringe on me, I'll go about my business; no muss, no fuss.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    What I find funny is so many gun owners were slapping themselves on the back "The NRA is right! Those crazy OCers are making us all look bad."

    It looks like there were planty of pissed off members that pressured Cox into apologizing.

    Ain't got nothin to do with "slapping ourselves on the back", it's about a level headed responsibility to insure that us gun owners act professional through proper actions instead of portraying themselves as a bunch of uneducated weekend morons who can't even name the Three Branches of Government.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Pelagic Kayaker;as a bunch of uneducated weekend morons who can't even name the Three Branches of Government.[/QUOTE]

    Obammy, Eric Holder and Harry Reid......three branches of Gooberment...so there! :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    What I find funny is so many gun owners were slapping themselves on the back "The NRA is right! Those crazy OCers are making us all look bad."

    It looks like there were planty of pissed off members that pressured Cox into apologizing.
    Because it was a correct statment and the, (well I have a hard time calling them OC'ers because they are PS'ers) DO make any rational gun owner look bad. It isnt policy which is why the staffer got spanked, but it is weird.

    I have ZERO problem with OC and have done it upon occasion. I have even done it with a rifle when I rode a snowmobile to the range. It never even was a thought that ever passed across my brain to sling a rifle and go to a family restaurant just so I could brandish my arrogance and get thrown out.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I still think they are a bunch of fools showing up at a restaurant like that. It does not help our cause.

    That's a central point. The NRA statement was however over the top. If it had criticized the open carry demos and carefully disagreed but didn't ridicule, that would have been the better reaction.

    Naturally, the slavish press had a field day, seizing upon the slightest crack in a normally unified pro-2A membership and banketing the news with this story. Normally, ANY pro-2A statement from the NRA or anyone else is ignored unless it somehow embarrasses the NRA.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I still think they are a bunch of fools showing up at a restaurant like that. It does not help our cause.

    I agree.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Some people are making noises, that some of these OC yahoos are really connected to anti-gun groups, trying to make us look bad.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,812 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    It does not help our cause.

    This is where you are wrong. This is NOT your cause. It is their cause.

    You guys continue to worry about how this makes you look. If you are not an OC activist, this has nothing to do with any of you.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Obammy, Eric Holder and Harry Reid......three branches of Gooberment...so there! :tooth:

    :silly::nono::win: :yesno::roll2: :rotflmao::usa:

    You nailed it Chief, :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    This is where you are wrong. This is NOT your cause. It is their cause.

    You guys continue to worry about how this makes you look. If you are not an OC activist, this has nothing to do with any of you.

    Well what we look like and how we come across to the public has everything to do with the security of our second amendment rights and NOTHING to do with appeasment of the antis. Being realistic, there's a large segment of our society that can go either way on the 2A. What we don't need to do is to alienate these people. When a bunch of people show up at a public place where one of these middle ground people brings his family, it makes the unknowing nervous. Then if we need his middle ground vote, he's going to be thinking, "We don't need these gun nuts running around armed to the teeth!" That's the way they will perceive it. And perception, not fact, sadly is what governs most people's choices. If you want open carry, that's fine. We all have a right to our opinions. But we need to express those opinions with a common sense approach. Like I said, this is not in any way appeasing the antis. It's using common sense in dealing with the undecided voter, whom we need if we want to keep our right to keep and bear arms.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • gaimangaiman Banned Posts: 60 Member
    actually, the reason you don't buy a life membership is the same reason others "give". they are too cheap to support the only organization who's ever done a thing for us shooters. Is the 2nd Amendment foundation GOA, or Jfpff running the Nat'l matches, ppc cop courses, Eddy Eagle program, buying ads in mags, etc? No, they aint. WHO IS, hmm? US NRA' members, who have been carrying the deadbeats of the gun world since the 68 GCA passed.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    actually, the reason you don't buy a life membership is the same reason others "give". they are too cheap to support the only organization who's ever done a thing for us shooters. Is the 2nd Amendment foundation GOA, or Jfpff running the Nat'l matches, ppc cop courses, Eddy Eagle program, buying ads in mags, etc? No, they aint. WHO IS, hmm? US NRA' members, who have been carrying the deadbeats of the gun world since the 68 GCA passed.

    Thank you gaiman, that's just the push I needed.

    I'm going to go online right now and join.
    That's all I got.

    Paul
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,812 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well what we look like and how we come across to the public has everything to do with the security of our second amendment rights and NOTHING to do with appeasment of the antis. Being realistic, there's a large segment of our society that can go either way on the 2A. What we don't need to do is to alienate these people. When a bunch of people show up at a public place where one of these middle ground people brings his family, it makes the unknowing nervous. Then if we need his middle ground vote, he's going to be thinking, "We don't need these gun nuts running around armed to the teeth!" That's the way they will perceive it. And perception, not fact, sadly is what governs most people's choices. If you want open carry, that's fine. We all have a right to our opinions. But we need to express those opinions with a common sense approach. Like I said, this is not in any way appeasing the antis. It's using common sense in dealing with the undecided voter, whom we need if we want to keep our right to keep and bear arms.

    Ah, now I see...common sense...appeasement...decorum...image...Has any of those things stopped anti-gunners from pushing their agenda?

    The open carry groups are mostly a younger crowd. They are not a bunch of old, fat, white guys dreaming of the good old days. If you truly want to embrace your future 2A rights, you need to accept America's pro-gun youth. That includes the piercings, tattoos, colored hair, and all the other obnoxious behavior that accompanies the young.

    We are not the future of gun rights. They are.

    52070e53ae950.image.jpg

    1208803_716456241704392_202030092_n.jpg

    3880385_G.jpg

    1eoKHH.AuSt.39.jpeg
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    No they are not. They are the hipster movement of the gun crowd. They are looking for reactions and trying to make a statement. They are not the future of the gun movement, because there is no future with that kind of crap.

    If someone walked in my store with an AR15 strapped on his back, I'd tell him to leave. There, I said it. I'm sick of these people.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well what we look like and how we come across to the public has everything to do with the security of our second amendment rights and NOTHING to do with appeasment of the antis. Being realistic, there's a large segment of our society that can go either way on the 2A. What we don't need to do is to alienate these people. etc etc

    Very true, snake. It's not that we are necessarily in lockstep with these open carry protestors, it's that the general public sees it that way.

    Much of what happens is based on favorable or unfavorable public opinion, like it or not.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No they are not. They are the hipster movement of the gun crowd. They are looking for reactions and trying to make a statement. They are not the future of the gun movement, because there is no future with that kind of crap.

    If someone walked in my store with an AR15 strapped on his back, I'd tell him to leave. There, I said it. I'm sick of these people.

    I definitely agree. These groups are behaving more like a "hey! look at me!! see what I can do?!?" crowd rather than those who have a genuine interest in defending against the infringement of rights.

    I recognize the need for some to go against the grain; it has been necessary throughout our country's history to have some civil action and/or disobedience in order to address injustices and bring attention to attacks on freedom. However, this particular issue gets fixed by votes, and those come from education and changing minds.

    In each case where infringement has occurred, a reasoned, intelligent, historically accurate argument in a court of law has been, by far, the most effective means of correcting the injustice. I believe these demonstrations do nothing to further that effort, nor to sway the public opinion that politicians definitely pay attention to.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,812 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No they are not. They are the hipster movement of the gun crowd. They are looking for reactions and trying to make a statement. They are not the future of the gun movement, because there is no future with that kind of crap.

    If someone walked in my store with an AR15 strapped on his back, I'd tell him to leave. There, I said it. I'm sick of these people.

    Great 50's mentality. Do you shake your fist at skateboarders? :jester:

    Fine, you don't like them. So tell me...

    Who are the future representatives of gun rights? Timid children and old fat white guys? 40 guys sitting in their living rooms posting on G&A forums?

    Seriously, who is the future?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Great 50's mentality. Do you shake your fist at skateboarders? :jester:

    Fine, you don't like them. So tell me...

    Who are the future representatives of gun rights? Timid children and old fat white guys? 40 guys sitting in their living rooms posting on G&A forums?

    Seriously, who is the future?

    As someone who is of the age of these demonstrators, I can tell you. Every single gun owner I know that is under the age of 35 also thinks these guys are idiots. No, I don't think the the law should be changed, and yes I respect the fact that they are legally allowed to do what they are doing. It's still stupid and I would sure as heck give them one hell of a stink eye if they pulled that crap around me. The hipster comment is dead on. It's about being a punk and that is all, it's about shoving your stuff in everyone else's face and not really giving a damn...it's stupid, and rude.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Other than HIS poor choice of weaponry...I'm digging that picture.

    52070e53ae950.image.jpg

    Fixed it fer ya :rotflmao::rotflmao:

    All that ink cost $$$$$..............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Ah, now I see...common sense...appeasement...decorum...image...Has any of those things stopped anti-gunners from pushing their agenda?

    The open carry groups are mostly a younger crowd. They are not a bunch of old, fat, white guys dreaming of the good old days. If you truly want to embrace your future 2A rights, you need to accept America's pro-gun youth. That includes the piercings, tattoos, colored hair, and all the other obnoxious behavior that accompanies the young.

    We are not the future of gun rights. They are.

    What you say here has nothing in the world to do with what I'm thinking and NO you still don't get it. I am NOT an appeaser, as anyone can see on here by looking at my posts. I call a spade a spade. But, when i'm dealing with someone that could go either way, I'm not going to push him off the fence into the enemy camp.

    And if what you say here about the future of our gun rights is true, then we may have no future. And also, it's this YOUTH you refer to who helped big time to put Obama in the White House. Youth has its benifits and virtues, but sometimes WISDOM is not one of them. Fresh thinking and new ideas is great, as long as it's tempored with some life experience.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.