FBI spend 2 million $ on ammo test protocal, 4 mill in today's money

gaimangaiman BannedPosts: 60 Member
just to find out that no controllable jhp penetrates windshields or car metal and then also expands. :-) I could have told them that 40 years ago. When hp's hit barriers, the nose skirts collapse inwards. Also, jello is nothing like a good evaluative medium. I shoot garbage critters, and the minimum threshold for velocity is still what Elmer Keith found out, 60 years ago. :-) This is with PURE SOFT LEAD, a .45 or .44 needs 1000 fps to expand well in animals, and a .36 bore jhp needs at least 1200 fps, and 1300 fps is better by far. Then, because clothing debris tends to clog" the nose cavity, add another 100 fps to those numbers, and you're doing much better. Nothing about a jacket on a hp makes it expand easier than pure lead hp's, you know.

There's armadillos, feral cats and dogs, nutria, jackrabbits, coons, possums, chucks, all over the place. Shoot some for yourself, and find out the facts. Stop letting the gunwriters and ammo makers lie to you so much. Flesh and blood is flesh and blood, animal or human. If it doesn't expand and overpenetrates in critters, it will do WORSE in humans, because of the "cavity-clogging-clothing" problem.

Civilians have no biz trying to shoot thru cars, etc, anyhow, cause they can't see what innocents they are endangering, richochets, etc. Cops can get away with this, you can't sue them personally. If you want real penetration, then you load every other rd as a ball load, then mix in the jhp's. You're going to empty the mag anyway (and miss with most of your shots). :-)

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    If you want real penetration...

Yes! I want it to expand, and I want REAL penetration. I want it as far in as it can go.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,278 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Yes! I want it to expand, and I want REAL penetration. I want it as far in as it can go.

Are you talking bullets or sex? or both?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Are you talking bullets or sex? or both?

I'm talking sex with bullets!
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    gaiman wrote: »
    j and the minimum threshold for velocity is still what Elmer Keith found out, 60 years ago. :-) This is with PURE SOFT LEAD, a .45 or .44 needs 1000 fps to expand well in animals,

:-)
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm..all this this time I thought Keith used Lyman No2 alloy....or something close..........he must of spent all winter cleaning the lead out of his 44 Mag barrels.............. Learn something new everyday.......ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Also, didn't Elmer design his semi-wadcutters so expansion was NOT necessary?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Also, didn't Elmer design his semi-wadcutters so expansion was NOT necessary?

I "Thought so" ......but am probably wrong......same way I was wrong carting around a 12 Ga with 1 1/4 Oz slugs or a M70 375 H&H instead of a 410 when I lived in Alaska............I am but an egg
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Da boy don't know nothin' about cast boolits, do he! Ol' Elmer didn't cast pure lead bullets; you're right on the money with the #2 Lyman alloy. It can be pushed pretty fast without leading issues if you use a good bullet lube.

By the way:

1450219_484679874986011_737323440_n_zps6e7c9683.jpg
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.