normally, you never need to fire your gun

gaimangaiman BannedPosts: 60 Member
MISSES have changed a lot of minds, too. :-) All you need to show this to be so is to read the monthly column "armed citizen" in the Nra's mag "American Rifleman". I've been a life member for 36 years now, and I've read that column every month. Now, do you want to call the NRA a bunch of liars? :-) This is often so even if you DON'T get the gun out at a decent distance and time (for the bad guy to notice and flee) and if you haven't been smart enough to use cover, leave him an escape route, etc.

Read Jim Cirillo's book on gunfighting. His Stakeout Unit confronted 280 Armed Robbers, (cornered, caught in the act) Only 40 made the cops fire. :-) one in 7 is 84% who surrendered, without shots fired, guys. Misses often sufficing, and allowing escape increasing the odds of flight without having to fire (or hit). yes, it IS a 1 in 10 thing (or less often) of having to hit anyone (at all) with a bullet.

Also, .22 hits, and poor hits with other loads, often suffice, too. So having to "shoot him into the ground", with lots of chest hits, powerful loads, or brain hits, is quite rare, for civilians (who have their stuff together). Now granted, that's only about 10% of them, but hey, training that they don't get and guns/ammo that they don't buy don't help that kind, either. :-) Yet we discuss the hell out of those things, eh?

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    Yo I just rack the slide on my gauge and the preps just run away, besides its a shotty you don't have to aim. Just point in the general direction, and dead bad guys;)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Hey guys!!! It's science!! Or statistics. Or.........
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Oh I'm sorry 100% of bad guys dedicate themselves when I point my gauge at em'
    Doh, Crap themselves. Take that auto text!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    gaiman, We get an occasional miscreant into our gated and guarded community here, but the need to shoot or hit is much less than even 1 in 10. That's because my security is enhanced by JULIET, Queen Of Dogs, Goddess Of The Hunt, Companion To The Heroes. The Hounds of Hell tuck their tales in submission. Golden Food and Water Bowls await her in Valhalla, where she will frolic with Unicorns, and Feast of the Bones of Dragons.

gaiman, the vet calls her a Dachshund-Chihuahua, but don't kid yourself, she's all KLINGON. She'll wag her tail, and at the same time tear out your still-beating heart and eat it in front of your Mom.