Goats 2, MHS 0

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,768 Senior Member
Went out again this afternoon to try and salvage the expensive tag I bought. No luck. Goats were SCARCE. And today the wind would have made shooting all but impossible. Had the new 308 with me, hoping for a little beginners luck and all...but nada. Got down there with about 3 hours to hunt, and I made an approach on a herd but they were just way too far away and I didn't have enough time.

A few people filled tags so far, but the majority didn't. Even the rancher has yet to nail his two goats. Like Linefinder said in his post, the goats were just acting whacky this year. Wind is going to be 30-50 the rest of the week on the ranch...not worth the extra days on the rental truck and the gas. On a positive note, I REALLY enjoyed my rental truck! I had been driving a Dakota all summer for work, not too impressed. Yesterday though, Enterprise wrangled me up a 2011 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7 HEMI. Me likey! Drove better, parked better, had some serious cajones in it. My car likely puts more HP down to the wheels, but there is something to be said about a big block versus a small turbo'd engine. Both have grunt, but it just felt different. Have to look into those....see how much they run.

Anyways, now its time to plan for next years goat hunt! I don't think I'll hunt farm land ever again, too much of a pain with all the mingled properties and where I can and can't shoot, the ground is WAY too flat, and there is either tons of plants for the goats to vanish in, or nothing at all to try and stalk with and WAY too easy for the road hunters to ruin your day....other guy that was there got shot at from the road! How you can not notice a giant orange traffic cone on 1.5 miles of cut wheat stubble beats me. I'll stick to cattle ranches from now on.
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear things did not go well for this hunt. Thats a long drive to come home empty handed. Can't even blame the 270 this time round.
    On the bright side, elk season is just around the corner now and we will expect a better story.

Sako
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    You know it only ended up being around 2.5 hours, I drive that far, sometimes longer, just to fish for a day. Still sucks, I sunk a LOT of money into the past few days with vouchers, tags, gas, rental truck, ammo/range time...so on and so forth. BUT I didn't drop my standards!!! I had an almost bow range shot on a really young buck, perfectly broadside while I was on a fence post. No wind, perfect shot, as stable a rest as you'll find in a pasture and he stood there FOREVER. But I stuck to my guns, it was 14"+ or nothing. Same as last year, I got set on a trophy, nearly had one, didn't succumb to just shooting "something". I still feel goat hunting is awesome, frustrating, but awesome. I think I might stick to does for a few years though.

One thing is for certain, I need a LOT more practice shooting GAME. I had a long couple of hours to think over this year and last years mishaps. Really going to pursue some winter rabbit and coyote hunting. Targets are fun and such, but nothing beats putting as many crosshairs on fur as possible.

And the next goat gun is getting one of those nifty range finder scopes lol I think they're only like 800$.......
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    Yep, I do give you credit for holding out for the right one. Takes some stones to put that kind of money into a hunt and walk away empty handed.
    I have gone home empty handed many time, not so much due to holding out for a trophy size beast but more so for the clean shot.
    I guess I never caught the bug for goats. Went the one time and just never really felt like I needed to do it again. I suspect I might give it another go given the right situation presents itself.( translated that means if I ever talk the wife into moving back )
    Looking forward to seeing what you decide on for your goat gun. Are you talking the laser ranging scopes?

Sako
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    Are you talking about the Burris?
    I just got one, but have not made the time to run it yet.
    It is set-up to be good out to 500 always with about any kind of center-fire weapon you would hunt with and will go to 600 yards with some of the flatter rigs.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie I believe that is the one! BP helped me with an idea for goat hunting, and I won't be as concerned about weight so....bulky is ok! I'm rethinking which action I'll use for my LR goat rig now, get something with a heavier, more stable varmint or tactical (I hate saying that about a hunting gun...) type stock.

Let me know what you think about it!

Sako,
    Sometimes the best shot is the one not taken, right? That one I passed up is the one that made me smile and laugh by his stupidity. I mean he just kept walking towards me lol he closed the distance from like 200 yards to 50-60 yards himself. When I figured I was done playing with him, I whistled to see if that would scare him off. All it did was made him turn perfectly broadside. Scope and goat rig ideas, see above paragraph lol. Still thinking heavily on the 240 Wby though, probably something along the lines of a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I really want to launch those loooong heavy bullets
    I know from visiting with several guys who I trust, the Burris Eliminator will function exactly the way you want it out to 500 yards, and with the 240 Weatherby or 6mm-284, or even the 6mm-06 Improved out to 600 likely. It will give you confidence in knowing that illuminated dot on the games vitals will ensure you a kill if you have good form and make correction for the wind when necessary.
    I have no doubts about its ability to 500 yards (what it was really designed for). I just haven't shot it myself yet.
    For a 500 yard goat gun any of the above are more than capable.
    I would have a custom one built, and I would chamber it in a no-neck turn 6-284.
    I would use 6.5-284 Lapua brass, and simply neck it down (easy to do).
    Now you have the best brass possible.
    I would go with a 1-8 twist and would use the 95 grain or possibly the 105 grain Berger hunting bullet.
    Of course the 105 A-Max is in the mix.
    Even though the 95 Berger has a lower BC, you will gain about 100 fps faster than the 105's and for 500 yard shooting the advantage of the 105's will not be very evident-They shine more as distance progresses.
    26" tube with a solid bottom muzzle brake so you can see your impacts in practice and when hunting-This is a huge advantage.
    Ernie I believe that is the one! BP helped me with an idea for goat hunting, and I won't be as concerned about weight so....bulky is ok! I'm rethinking which action I'll use for my LR goat rig now, get something with a heavier, more stable varmint or tactical (I hate saying that about a hunting gun...) type stock.
    Let me know what you think about it!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie I like the way you think :wink:

I was mostly looking at the 105 Amax and some of the 95's grain offerings with the possibility of heavier...but that is a toss up. I mean on the one hand you have the high BC for great ballistics, but with a lighter bullet you have a shorter TOF, and the quicker the bullet can get there the less time its in the air being pushed around by wind and gravity. At least there are many options in the 95-105 range. I would hate to build something so specifically for one bullet, say the 115gr VLD....and then the gun doesn't end up liking that particular bullet lol.

I have a few actions lying around that I have had in mind for this build....but at the same time, I'm keeping myself open to new ideas as well. I'm really kicking myself for passing on a M70 Ranger 30-06 a few years ago for like 225$. But, I was a bit broke then and didn't NEED it...sure would come in hand now lol. If I can't find another one of those....maybe the old style Vanguards will stick around on clearance for a while longer
    Also, I wouldn't hesitate to use a McGowen barrel.
    Broughton, Brux, Krieger, and Bartlein barrels (I use all of them FWIW) are more recognized by precision shooters, but the 3-McGowens I have in 6mm typically have grouped 4-shot groups in load development at 100 yard in the .1-.2 range.
    Holland's Radial brake is my favorite, but there are a number of good ones out there.
    Get a good scope level-Will need a pic rail version with the Eliminator.
    Also will need to have some understanding of what wind will do-Kestrel, and some basic ballistic software will do you good.
    If you want to go further than 5-6 hundred yards then I would consider a different optic a VX-3 or Mark 4 with the ART reticle would be my suggestion.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Caleb speaks very highly of the Holland brakes, and I trust his opinion for sure.

I have always heard good things about McGowen...honestly, there doesn't seem to be any "bad" barrels out there these days. Some are obviously superior, but the gaps seems to be closing on them a bit. I was looking at probably a McGowen, Krieger or Lilja.

500-600 I think is MORE then plenty lol. Although yesterday while walking a very long ways back to my truck after getting busted by the herd...I had considered the option of a 50 BMG LMAO
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,166 Senior Member
    Next year you might consider a BYOG hunt and that way you can spend more time in the rental.
    :jester:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    K...I'm lost on the BYOG. Bring my own what?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member
    K...I'm lost on the BYOG. Bring my own what?

Goat?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    A good field bag (Holland's), good bi-pod (notched legs/swivel version with pod-lok) BR model or next size up, and a set of shooting sticks for kneeling or sitting when grass is high.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,166 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Goat?
    :win:

Sorry MHS, I couldn't help myself but sounds like you had fun with the rental at least. :beer:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    That sucks, not sure where you were hunting but 14" goats are harder to find than most people take credit for. I finally shot one over 15" this year after 4 years of trying and wouldn't you know it not one of my long range rifle shots but a 36yard shot with my recurve. $76" P & Y:p
    Anyway I like antelope too much to pass, I dont eat horns and have mounted every one of my bucks, they are beautiful and taste wonderful. I will be hunting elk, bear, and mule deer starting on the 15th for 2 weeks back in CO and can shoot a cow or a bull 4 points or bigger, better believe first elk, whether a raghorn or not is getting put in the cooler. Then I am hunting for mule deer in the famed unit 133 for plains mule deer/whitetail deer. Scouted it some in Aug when I was out there antelope hunting and saw several 160-190" bucks..........now if they just stayed there:-)
    Anyway sounds like you had a good time and that is what it is about, for me at my age and stage in life tag soup isnt anything that I want anymore. We got to manage animals and the little ones taste just as yummy.
    2011ArcheryGoat010.jpg
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,538 Senior Member
    Dalebow wrote: »
    2011ArcheryGoat010.jpg

Great buck, Dalebow! That'd be very impressive even for a rifle kill. A pronghorn like that with a bow is something I can't even fathom accomplishing. Great job!

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    This is the buck that I could have shot easily. I normally don't hunt for horns, but I paid extra for a voucher on land with trophy potential (and proven, that one I missed had to have gone 15-16" EASY) I was tempted to just nail this small one because I do enjoy the meat, and the rancher told me his goats taste especially good due to the fact that he can't keep them out of his crops lol. He showed me a steak with MARBLING in it! Goats were tearing into his corn like crazy this year.

Anyways, the lil guy who got to walk away

http://ferrinphoto.com/images/wildlife-animals/6393.jpg
    Nothing wrong with that, letting them walk, and if you had 16" potential then I can't blame you, that would be an awesome goat to get. Hang in there he will be 17" next year.
    linefinder
    thanks, I have to say I put my time in the hot box for a week, saw several bigger than this guy but he stood still long enough on the last day.
    He was a gift from the good lord. I would rather be lucky than good anyday.