One of the victims of the Las Vegas shooter was a CHL holder.....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,845 Senior Member
who apparently went to try and stop the shooting.
Joseph Wilcox, 31

After the Millers shot the officers, they fled to a Walmart where Jerad Miller allegedly fired one round and told everyone to get out.

Wilcox, who was in the store and who was carrying a concealed weapon, moved to confront the shooter. But he didn't realize Jerad Miller was not alone.

Authorities say Amanda Miller shot Wilcox, killing him.

"Joseph died attempting to protect others. His death is completely senseless," Sheriff Gillespie told reporters.
from
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/09/us/las-vegas-shooting-victims/index.html

Yet the "gun grabbers" like to paint all CHL holders in a bad light :cuss:

(Mods, I did a lot of thinking as to where to put this, since it deals with someone attempting to use his concealed carry weapon to end a situation, I finally decided this was the appropriate place. Feel free to move it if you disagree)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Brave guy, takes a special person to run towards the sound of gunfire. Of course it's also a bit of a cautionary tale about the risks of inserting yourself in such a situation. Honestly not sure which I'd do in such a situation.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Very brave.
    Rule 1: Always assume there is more than one.
    Rule 2: Don't go looking for it.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Brave guy, takes a special person to run towards the sound of gunfire. Of course it's also a bit of a cautionary tale about the risks of inserting yourself in such a situation. Honestly not sure which I'd do in such a situation.

A cautionary tale indeed. What gets me is these nut jobs' neighbors have been all over TV telling how they were anti-government and were going to shoot cops. One even said they stopped by the day of the shooting and said the revolution starts today. And no one called it in.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    CCW permit is not a LEO badge
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    CCW permit is not a LEO badge
    Agreed, but I see running TOWARDS the gunfire as a rather unwise, yet heroic act.

Along similar lines as a by-stander running INTO a burning building to try and save someone.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think he didn't notice the wife who was nearby...did she shoot him?

Hey, two armed cops were caught off guard and killed, it can unexpectedly happen to anyone.

My :angel2::angel2: go out to all the victims and their families.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think he didn't notice the wife who was nearby...did she shoot him?
    That's what the quote and link in my OP says

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Tragic, can't second guess what Mr. Wilcox was thinking when he interjected himself in that situation. His sacrifice is something all people who CCW need to comtemplate as to how they would react in a similar scenario.The woman killed more innocents than the male individual- including her deranged boyfriend.