Home Main Category Hunting

How do you deal with feral cats?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,650 Senior Member
Having rather large apartment complexes bordering these 40 acres on 3 sides, we have a HEALTHY population of feral cats, where folks have "dumped" their pets when the move, had unwanted litters of kittens etc.

Over the years, I've removed well over 2 dozen by various means (live traps, "regular" traps and the CZ)

I currently have a female raising 3 kittens UNDER my house :cuss:

Well, 2 kittens now, since one of them is currently in a cardboard box waiting on the animal shelter to open. :tooth: (caught it by hand after sneaking up on it, thought I was going to have to brain momma cat with a tire iron when I caught the kitten, momma was NOT happy)

So, how do YOU handle a feral cat problem?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,147 Senior Member
    With a .22lr if its out at the barn. In the village that I live in, the ole boxer tends to keep them out of the yard. Except for one big ole yellow cat... Ole Mauser don't mess with that kitty...

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    .22 LR
    .22-250
    6.5-06

Depends on the range and what's handy with ammo in the magazine.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,763 Senior Member
    Due to the prevalence of barn cats, we employ the 100 yard rule....if a cat is more than 100 yards from the house/barn...it's considered feral and fair game... Of course mother nature also participates by endowing brer coyote with a craving for cat....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,650 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Due to the prevalence of barn cats, we employ the 100 yard rule....if a cat is more than 100 yards from the house/barn...it's considered feral and fair game... Of course mother nature also participates by endowing brer coyote with a craving for cat....
    Possums are fond of them too, though they prefer them @ ambient temp ;)

From the "chilly" reception I got at the shelter, the CZ will probably be responsible for the rest of this bunch.

They weren't going to take the kitten in until I gave them the option of that, or stumbling and dropping/breaking the box I had it in on my way back to my truck :devil:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Having rather large apartment complexes bordering these 40 acres on 3 sides, we have a HEALTHY population of feral cats, where folks have "dumped" their pets when the move, had unwanted litters of kittens etc.

Over the years, I've removed well over 2 dozen by various means (live traps, "regular" traps and the CZ)

I currently have a female raising 3 kittens UNDER my house :cuss:

Well, 2 kittens now, since one of them is currently in a cardboard box waiting on the animal shelter to open. :tooth: (caught it by hand after sneaking up on it, thought I was going to have to brain momma cat with a tire iron when I caught the kitten, momma was NOT happy)

Haven't had a kitty problem in a while, but the last time I did we used live traps borrowed from someone (probably animal shelter, don't remember), and trapped them. We found homes for some, and gave some to the local animal shelter. We did keep one, and now have her only female kitten. We managed to get her four brothers adopted out, but the mama was later euthanized.

Here's the one we kept. We named here Ditto 'cause she looks like her mother. She's about 9 years old, and a PITA.

ditto_web.jpg

My grandfather had a small farm in west-central Texas, and he killed 'em whenever he could.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    With extreme prejudice.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,791 Senior Member
    Cant really do much with them in the neighborhood, other than let the Rat Terrier get some exercise chasing them.

Out at the lease? They kill game birds.... and make excellent coyote bait
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Well, the two remaining kittens are small enough to squeeze through the gap by the door of my live trap :cuss:

They DO like sardines though

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,763 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    ditto_web.jpg

Looks just like my oldest cat "Fuzz"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,854 Senior Member
    Living in the neighborhood that I do, not much. However, wifes little dog loves to chase them over the fence and if I am out in the yard they get hit with the water hose if a rock isnt handy.

Wife used to say "leave the kitty alone" until she saw what one did to the baby doves that were in our palm tree.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,026 Senior Member
    I'm not at liberty to say.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,566 Senior Member
    Shoot them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Shoot them every time I see them (and I like cats), or get your own cat, make sure it's a dominant one, it thinking that there's other cats in its territory might cut down on interlopers, a better the devil you know sort of proposition.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,301 Senior Member
    Shoot them.......................then throw the carcase out of the jeep onto the road outside their owners place sometime in the early hours of the morning, and run over them a couple of times.

..................Oh, wait,..............you meant feral cats. Disregard the above................
    ( Just kidding for those who get their manties in a knot)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    [video=youtube_share;krfEcvBfUY4]

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Whatever rifle/shotgun/pistol is in reach at the moment. Most of the time my old 18# neutered tomcat finds them first, puts a whoopin' on them of epic proportions, and they seek out more palatial digs on their own. He doesn't allow any interlopers in his 'territory'.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Back in the early 60's when I was in the school of forest/wildlife management at the UGA, (Gene's stomping grounds) we had a wildlife prof who told us that before we, the students, reached retirement age that feral cats would be a major problem with native and neo tropical songbirds. He was correct. It has happened in a major way. If you want to keep our natural environment intact as much as possible, you'll kill every damn feral cat that you can. Our songbird population is definitely in decline, and feral cats are definitely the major cause of this decline. Again.....kill every one that you possibly can, and add to this feral hogs! Neither of these animals belongs in our natural environment, and both are devastating it!
    You forgot the large constrictors in the glades (and elsewhere). Oh, trust me, I do all I can to reduce the population ;)

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    With noodles and duck sauce or soy with rice......add veggies.....cats don't like them......good Karhma! I had a conversation with a coworker from Africa......we were teasing another about killing cats, in jest of course.......then Osai says....."imagine that cat is full grown into a Lion........then you will want to kill every one of them"........but I'm a dog-guy take my take on cats with a grain of salt..........and pepper. :tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I ignore 'em.... useless they become really annoying... but they are usually gone before that happens.......Yotes....Bobcats......and all the Lions take care of them..........Ken
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I have a small cat garden at the ranch but I'm not very good at farming as no matter how many I plant, no kittens ever sprout up. I actually used to ignore them until I caught them stalking the chickens.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    We have quite a few strays roaming around ...not much of a rodent problem either.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    [video=youtube_share;krfEcvBfUY4]

^ There's 3 mins I'll never get back.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I leave them alone, as long as they don't become a nuisance, same as I treat all the other varmints. They own the night, and I own the day, and we co-exist fairly well in our separate 'dimensions.' However, if they cause me any grief, I disappear them, as inconspicuously as possible. This is as it should be, since I occupy a higher position in the food chain, and is exactly the way they would behave toward me, if the situation were reversed.

I have no love for cats, but having rodent-eaters around is just good business. The owls, foxes, and coyotes usually take care of the kittens before they get chopped up in the truck's fan, so I rarely have to deal with that.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,791 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Only option at the house is a live trap. Although, my slingshot with 158 grain RNFP have NARROWLY missed one or two. The one I missed the other day would have dead centered ones noggin had I been just 6" to the right. I wasnt aiming for the head, I was aiming for cat. :tooth:

Marbles work petty well, too.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have dropped a couplenwith the .22. Sent one running for the next county with my .22 pistol, hard to keep a light and pistol lined up on a FAST moving target in the dark. I set live traps but all I have caught so far is a couple of skunks and a possum.

I think the feral cat population has been severely diminished right around my house because my cottontail population has really boomed in the last six months.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Haven't had a kitty problem in a while, but the last time I did we used live traps borrowed from someone (probably animal shelter, don't remember), and trapped them. We found homes for some, and gave some to the local animal shelter. We did keep one, and now have her only female kitten. We managed to get her four brothers adopted out, but the mama was later euthanized.

Here's the one we kept. We named here Ditto 'cause she looks like her mother. She's about 9 years old, and a PITA.

ditto_web.jpg

My grandfather had a small farm in west-central Texas, and he killed 'em whenever he could.

The only good thing about feral cats is they kill a lot of snakes. If you tend to have a chronic snake problem as we do here in this part of Texas, you tend to let more of them slide. Barn cats can be a blessing. One thing, if you want to keep them from going wild and feral, feed em. Of course they do multiply so another thing you need to do is neuter them.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

With this!
    631192FC-2478-459F-B13A-63CB95A61609-24764-00002A18AF23EEAE_zps66d6b485.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Do you ship UPS? I need a couple. The voles on my land are getting numerous and cheeky.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the 357 bullets work better. They seem to fly straighter. Had an invader in the yard eyeballing the chickens, ran to the cave to grab some marbles but couldn't find them. Saw the bullets and tried them.

I wonder how a marble shooting crossbow would work for that chore? Triple surgical tube bands on each side and a 'guide tube' stock to keep the marble or bullet aligned until it left the 'muzzle'. It would be pretty quiet.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams