I Have A Question.....Opinions, Please

2

Replies

  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Y'all are missing the point. Teach, Eli and others have saved this man $147 he can now put towards more guns! :guns:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Y'all are missing the point. Teach, Eli and others have saved this man $147 he can now put towards more guns! :guns:

    There is always that. Or more practice ammo. :up:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    There is always that. Or more practice ammo. :up:

    Or a training class.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    talk about thread drift, This forum, thankfully, has an ignore button. And i know this because I've used it. I humbly suggest some of you try it.

    These p issing contests get old.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    talk about thread drift, This forum, thankfully, has an ignore button. And i know this because I've used it. I humbly suggest some of you try it.

    These p issing contests get old.
    I'd agree with you, but I can't see what you say when I ignore your posts...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Rule #1: Have a gun
    Rule #2: Carry it as often as possible
    Rule #3: Be aware of your surroundings
    Rule #4: Don't take unnecessary chances
    Rule #5: Run or hide if you can; shoot if you must

    This is my basic self-defense philosophy in a nutshell. If I perceived my threat level as being higher, I would modify my self-defense preparation accordingly, and sometimes do, if I'm in unfamiliar territory.

    But, I'm just a whelp of 62, so don't go by me.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I have started carrying because I am older and there seem to be more varmints in the world, even at my cabin.
    I second what Jerry said.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Originally Posted by samzhere

    "I've still got some catamite positions open on my staff."

    The cpj part (dirty thoughts) of my noggin sees some word plays on that sentence Sam :jester:

    For the record, I wouldn't (like the Allman Brothers Song lyrics go) want to end up on the "Wrong End Of A Gun" either one of you wuz holding.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Woodsrunner, how are you doing? You had to travel to JAX when the SE Shoot was going on didn't you about some heart issues?

    Like Teach, we are all curious and hope you are well.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Razorbacker;

    These p issing contests get old.[/QUOTE]

    Hey speaking of that. I had a friend in Jacksonville who after drinking a qt of Colt .45 could piss clear across a section Blanding Blvd (out in the sticks south of 103rd street) when it was 2-lanes and not widened back about 1966 or so. We were 13 years old and highy impressed with this feat. He somehow held it in, built up the pressure (with his thumb or something, we didn't wanna get close enough to see) and cut loose.

    No contest, he always won!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Or a training class.

    Bingo
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Meow and stuff it.

    Meow??? Really? Please Sam, for god sakes man, tell me you're either a cat guy or that was just a typo.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Meow??? Really? Please Sam, for god sakes man, tell me you're either a cat guy or that was just a typo.
    Aw, crap! Now you're going to get him to tell us about his cats....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Aw, crap! Now you're going to get him to tell us about his cats....

    OH NO!!! I done screwed up.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Or a training class.

    Most training classes are not set up with the over 60 crowd in mind. That "runnin' and gunnin' " stuff is fine for the younger folks, but isn't all that practical for us with lots of miles on the odometer. I ain't young no more, and a knock down street fight ain't gonna happen. At this stage in my life, it's more of an empty the mag. if necessary, reload, and do a ground check if I've done everything I can to avoid the confrontation. For me, at lest, accurate shot placement downrange is the gold standard.

    And I can't comfortably carry strong side because of shoulder problems, so I carry cross draw, or have it in a pocket holster. All that fancy 4-step draw from the strong side is useless for me. Make the training geared for us older folks, and I'm in. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Most training classes are not set up with the over 60 crowd in mind. That "runnin' and gunnin' " stuff is fine for the younger folks, but isn't all that practical for us with lots of miles on the odometer. I ain't young no more, and a knock down street fight ain't gonna happen. At this stage in my life, it's more of an empty the mag. if necessary, reload, and do a ground check if I've done everything I can to avoid the confrontation. For me, at lest, accurate shot placement downrange is the gold standard.

    And I can't comfortably carry strong side because of shoulder problems, so I carry cross draw, or have it in a pocket holster. All that fancy 4-step draw from the strong side is useless for me. Make the training geared for us older folks, and I'm in. :tooth:

    Eli wrote:
    Over the past year I've taken three training classes......I've learned more in those three classes about how to fight with a handgun (and make no mistake, a CC incident IS NOT based on shooting, it's a FIGHT that just happens to involve a firearm), than I have in 21 years of shooting on my own.

    The classes that I've taken have contained students across every spectrum. Old, young, fat, skinny, male, female, athletes, and a couple people in wheel chairs. During the discussions after class EVERY single one of us were able to list multiple things that we learned that we could see being immediately beneficial to us in our day to day activities. Everyone that carries a gun, really does need to get at least some basic training of some sort.



    You know me Mike, I'm tremendously fat (not to mention the fact that my left knee is basically just bones grinding together), do you really think I'm out there doing all the "ninja warrior" stuff that's displayed in some of the videos?

    I have limitations, perhaps not the same limitations as other folks, but definite limitations nonetheless. I've learned to work around some (not all, some things just can't be worked around) of my limitations during class, or by using the things I learned in class. Figuring out how to work around your limitations WHILE Noteeth McTweaker is coming at you with a screw driver is a very bad plan indeed.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Eli, you can shoot pretty good, so that's half the fight!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Eli, you can shoot pretty good, so that's half the fight!

    Actually more than half!

    Eli, I've worked out the best carry for me over the years, and practice that cross draw. It may not be as sexy as the 4-step, but my weak side hand is right there to help push it in front of me. At that point it's front sight, cover target, FIRE! I'm well acquainted with the problems of the meth heads and their unique behavior; got a bunch of cookers and users in the area, and the 'catch and release' program the courts practice makes it pretty interesting. Speaking of knees, both of mine tend to squeak audibly if I walk very far, so I know what you're talking about.

    What I practice in the back yard works pretty good for me. I have a good 10 yard range with a high spring branch bank as a backstop. Set up a silhouette target, and practice drawing and firing from head on, turning from left or right side, and back to target turn and fire.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    talk about thread drift, This forum, thankfully, has an ignore button. And i know this because I've used it. I humbly suggest some of you try it.

    These p issing contests get old.
    I have used it, but, it does make the forum lopsided; I just don't read some posts and let it go at that.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Good thoughts particularly self defense or CCW class tailored to my age group.
    Mr. Noteeth McTweaker!
    To quote a highly respected southern philosopher Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are. Now that's funny right there."
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I have used it, but, it does make the forum lopsided; I just don't read some posts and let it go at that.

    My head is sometimes lopsided. I haven't figured out why yet......
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Most training classes are not set up with the over 60 crowd in mind. That "runnin' and gunnin' " stuff is fine for the younger folks, but isn't all that practical for us with lots of miles on the odometer. I ain't young no more, and a knock down street fight ain't gonna happen. At this stage in my life, it's more of an empty the mag. if necessary, reload, and do a ground check if I've done everything I can to avoid the confrontation. For me, at lest, accurate shot placement downrange is the gold standard.

    And I can't comfortably carry strong side because of shoulder problems, so I carry cross draw, or have it in a pocket holster. All that fancy 4-step draw from the strong side is useless for me. Make the training geared for us older folks, and I'm in. :tooth:

    It's a bad instructor that does not modify his curriculum for the abilities of the students.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    My head is sometimes lopsided. I haven't figured out why yet......
    Do you hold your head at an angle when you get a haircut.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Very rarely do I check in here on the Personal Defense Thread. Even though I've had a Concealed Carry Permit for many years, I simply don't feel a need to carry unless I'm on the road with the family en route to somewhere. I live in the woods for the most part and am almost always in a safe environment. BUT....more and more we are having major trouble with the "Methonites" and other druggies in the area, and it shows no sign of letting up. I've read that old men are considered high-end targets for violent attacks, and, even though I feel like I'm 20 years old, I Ain't! So.....

    Personal defense holds more interest for me now than it ever has. I watched a video earlier this morning selling a personal defense training program that has triggered me into thinking a little stronger on this issue. I knew instantly that it was a "sales gimmick", but it made sense and it pointed out a lot of things that I've always said about action-reaction in a confrontational situation. So, my question....

    Who is familiar with this video training course? Recommend or ignore? Your thoughts, please:

    THE ARMED AMERICAN'SCOMPLETE CONCEILED CARRY GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE SELF-DEFENSE. The 7 videos cost $147.00 shipped, which is pretty low in $$ in my opinion. Is it worth the time that it would require in training? Anyone?

    If you're at home you don't need these videos. Just practice the Joe Biden Home Defense drill. It is so easy even a Democrat can do it. Just get your double barrel 12 gauge and open the back door and stick it out and fire both barrels. That will send a Drug Crazed Meth Head on his way! If you're in your car, just stick both barrels out the window and blast away.

    On second thought, go back and read over Jerry's suggestions.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    ..... an ignore button And i know this because I've used it......

    Why on earth would you want to do that. :uhm:
    ..... ignore button........

    Them all and you can;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVWFdxIQaySxbhiB7Ww0oEgTikzpOPuE1XdIq4NXzaFFV16XfatQ

    PS.

    If you do not respond to this post have I had the '' ignore button '' or are we just not talking. :tissue:

    :p

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want to do that. :uhm:



    Them all and you can;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVWFdxIQaySxbhiB7Ww0oEgTikzpOPuE1XdIq4NXzaFFV16XfatQ

    PS.

    If you do not respond to this post have I had the '' ignore button '' or are we just not talking. :tissue:

    :p
    Maybe that button was devised for youz
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Or a training class.


    See…I missed it to.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Maybe that button was devised for youz


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrSETpvHjrd1HjlsZ3UKYUdopqdZvbPSO1fchf8LT5y78o1BKs

    :p


    Live and let live I say.

    Besides we all have a part embroidering life's rich tapestry, if a few of us drop a stitch now and then in the making of it, who is to worry.

    When it is finished and hanging on the wall of that very long lobby to come I do not think many will notice.


    PS.
    Very smooth Signature.

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Do you hold your head at an angle when you get a haircut.

    Yeah, but it's just 'cuz I can't see the dang TV while she does it..
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's just 'cuz I can't see the dang TV while she does it..

    That post is a target rich environment. Sayin'. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


2
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.