Anotgher RINO bites the dust!

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,429 Senior Member
Eric Cantor just got shot out of the saddle by a political rookie backed by the TEA party. I've got a feeling the crepe hangers have declared the conservative movement dead and gone a bit too soon! Let's hope the movement gains momentum! It looks like Cantor's flirtation with immigration amnesty just shot him in the foot! Maybe Lamar Alexander will be the next one to go down in flames!
Jerry
Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Eric Cantor just got shot out of the saddle by a political rookie backed by the TEA party. I've got a feeling the crepe hangers have declared the conservative movement dead and gone a bit too soon! Let's hope the movement gains momentum! It looks like Cantor's flirtation with immigration amnesty just shot him in the foot! Maybe Lamar Alexander will be the next one to go down in flames!
    Jerry

Unless ol' Lamar is a liar (wait, he's an old politician, so he is, by definition, a liar) he won't be running again. Said he was stepping down at the end of his term. That crackhead senator from Chattanooga, Bob Corker, needs to have his walking papers delivered at his next primary.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Is Lamar still running this November? Joe Carr has been gaining ground on him all spring, and I hadn't heard Alexander had read the writing on the wall yet. I've been begging him not to run again in every letter I've written to him for the past 5 years or so, but since he never even acknowledges letters, I figured he would be there until he croaks!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,255 Senior Member
    Well, RINO or not, he's still a R. I sincerely do not believe Bratt has a chance to win the general. He only got 35K votes in a purple at best state, enough to win, but a very small percentage of the population. I hope the seat remains in Republican hands, but I'm very doubtful.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Wow, this is huge. I'm seeing that Brat only spent $120K. Surely outside money was more than that. Any locals up there tuned into this?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Is Lamar still running this November? Joe Carr has been gaining ground on him all spring, and I hadn't heard Alexander had read the writing on the wall yet. I've been begging him not to run again in every letter I've written to him for the past 5 years or so, but since he never even acknowledges letters, I figured he would be there until he croaks!
    Jerry

Lamar said a year or better ago he wasn't going to run for reelection. But he's a politician too far left for the right and too far right for the left. I don't think he'll fare well in the primaries if he chooses to try for another term. I'm thinking he won't run; got a butt full of splinters straddling the fence and falling whichever way the poll winds blow.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    I'm surprised Lindseed Graham of SC wasn't given the boot too.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I'm surprised Lindseed Graham of SC wasn't given the boot too.

Graham got off Scott free because only 300k people in SC went out and voted.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Well, RINO or not, he's still a R. I sincerely do not believe Bratt has a chance to win the general. He only got 35K votes in a purple at best state, enough to win, but a very small percentage of the population. I hope the seat remains in Republican hands, but I'm very doubtful.

Likewise, I hope all those who voted fer Cantor will vote fer Brat so REPs keep the seat. And I hope all in every district who voted/will vote Tea Party will vote the REP ticket if their candidate lost.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Maybe the people in conservative side of government will wake up and get rid of the old stuff that doesn't work. Many people are going to vote against the incumbent in the next election to get CHANGE in the party. Oblivit was elected on change which he did accomplish but it was for the worst. It's not the Tea Party it is the voters are tired of nothing being done to help the country. The Left Wing thinks the "Tea Party" in going to split the conservatives but it looks to me that they going to unite them. Hey Republicans! WAKE UP! :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    I think we need TERM LIMITS, like 4 X2 year terms for the House and 2X 4 year terms for the Senate maximum for their lifetime, no more. They get ignorant, fat and happy and work for themselves after awhile, not the folks who elected them.

Still only 8 years total if they split up half and half.

All that "Continuity" talk is just talk, there are transition teams and staff who can work with them all.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,282 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think we need TERM LIMITS, like 4 X2 year terms for the House and 2X 4 year terms for the Senate maximum for their lifetime, no more. They get ignorant, fat and happy and work for themselves after awhile, not the folks who elected them.

Still only 8 years total if they split up half and half.

All that "Continuity" talk is just talk, there are transition teams and staff who can work with them all.

You really expect them to vote themselves out of a job? Has anyone ever done that anytime in history?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,112 Senior Member
    Senate's a 6-year term.

And I've said it before but... why have term limits? Why not just vote them out if they don't do right? I thought that's what the electorate is supposed to do...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Jerry

Yeah, that's one of the only things I didn't like about Cantor. Immigration will take down more too, wait and see. But otherwise i liked Cantor. He wasn't such a blooming idiot Moderate. He fought the fight with Obummer Care and all the scandals. He didn't seem afraid to stand up for what he believed. He just had a bit of a bout with Cranial Flatulence over Immigration that cost him.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Senate's a 6-year term.

And I've said it before but... why have term limits? Why not just vote them out if they don't do right? I thought that's what the electorate is supposed to do...

You know something, I agree 100% with you on this. That's my stand. Because there are some that don't get corrupt over the years and fight the good fight. Why vote em out because they have been in so many terms. Maybe they have been doing some things right to stay there. If they go afoul then vote them out.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Yeah, but don't you see? We have to vote out the Rinos even if we replace them with a Dummycrat. That makes sense to me. Shoot your self in the foot to spite your face.

But I"m hoping Bratt can pull it off. If so this proves Sam's and my point. We need to do it in the Primaries. However, if we put up a hapless candidate for the General election, then we're screwed anyway. We need to think more about what we're doing here.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    You really expect them to vote themselves out of a job? Has anyone ever done that anytime in history?

The only way you will ever see term limits for Congress is to have a national referendum. And who's going to engineer that?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Senate's a 6-year term.

The problem with that is, I don't get to vote against the Pelosis, etc. of the world. That Leland Yee guy, very anti gun is now under indictment for gun trafficking, they got him on tape. Still he got 100,000 votes. If CA voters will vote for him they'll never stop voting for Pelosi. And we're all stuck with her, for life apparently
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,112 Senior Member
    The problem with that is, I don't get to vote against the Pelosis, etc. of the world. That Leland Yee guy, very anti gun is now under indictment for gun trafficking, they got him on tape. Still he got 100,000 votes. If CA voters will vote for him they'll never stop voting for Pelosi. And we're all stuck with her, for life apparently
    True, that is the problem with the republic. But I'd wager that it's always been a problem.

To me term limits are a legislative solution for poorly educated voters.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Senate's a 6-year term.

Your correct 6 years, I don't know why I was thinking 8 years...Presidential limit?

Should make it 4 years and impose the 2X term limit of 8 years total on a national referendum, don't let them vote on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate

Term

"Senators serve terms of six years each; the terms are staggered so that approximately one-third of the seats are up for election every two years. This was achieved by dividing the senators of the 1st Congress into thirds (called classes), where the terms of one-third expired after two years, the terms of another third expired after four, and the terms of the last third expired after six years. This arrangement was also followed after the admission of new states into the union. The staggering of terms has been arranged such that both seats from a given state are not contested in the same general election, except when a mid-term vacancy is being filled. Current senators whose six-year terms expire on January 3, 2015, belong to Class II."
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member

I get to vote against those turds all the time. The problem is…I live in a landfill full of turds.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I saw the people were complaining about the Tea Party getting rid of the only GOP Jew. You know, racism and antisemitism.

I didn't even know Cantor was Jewish.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I didn't even know Cantor was Jewish.

You racist bastage! How dare you not learn about his heritage and culture! :tooth:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Tea party didn't give Brat any money a spokeswoman said on TV, they were focusing on other candidates/races, but wouldn't give a straight answer if they had given up and figured he couldn't win the primary. They did support him, but he is a little different than the typical Tea Party politician.

I think everyone was surprised by his victory.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member

Cantor was a member of the House of Representatives, not a Senator so he has a district versus the whole state to run in. If Cantor was kept in office, then Brat has a good chance. It seems like both sides figured on Cantor coming through, so the Dem isn't the brightest light, by all accounts...
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Tea party didn't give Brat any money a spokeswoman said on TV, they were focusing on other candidates/races, but wouldn't give a straight answer if they had given up and figured he couldn't win the primary. They did support him, but he is a little different than the typical Tea Party politician.

I think everyone was surprised by his victory.

There are umpteen Tea Party groups. It could be that the deepest funded on didn't get on board.
    Graham got off Scott free because only 300k people in SC went out and voted.
    and because he had what, 6 people competing for the Seat - so even two people much better than Graham would water down the race.