Opinons about this incident?

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,310 Senior Member
Father who shot gunman at Huntsville skate park says he 'feared for my children's lives, and the lives of the other children there

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2014/06/father_who_shot_gunman_at_hunt.html#incart_most-read

I think this guy should have just called 911 and let the cops handle the picture taking, instead he confronted the guy and things went south. Then he went Rambo. With his history, he should have thought twice.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2014/06/father_who_shot_gunman_at_hunt.html

Fixed for you
    I think this guy should have just called 911 and let the cops handle the picture taking, instead he confronted the guy and things went south. Then he went Rambo. With his history, he should have thought twice.
    :that:

Just like the one KP put up
    let LEO's do the LEO stuff
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Tough call. I would have had to have been there. However, Weil had no business interfering with the guy and his babes taking pics, "scantilly clad" is legal - and proper during a Georgia summer. Weil would probably freak out and go postal at a beach, with all those thongs, bikinis and speedos. Heavens to Betsy, can't let his boys see some really, really, really scantily clad girls.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,066 Senior Member
    Yeah you would have to be there to know how that went down. I would think a lot happened between Weil's initial statement to the photographer and the photographer grabbing a gun from his SUV.

And…I live in So Cal. It would be a full time job to question everyone who was, in my opinion, scantily-clad.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    IMHO a person has every right to question innapropriate behavior in a tactful manner especially when little kids are involved. If the perp brought out a gun then blast the loser ...end of story. If Americans policed our own we wouldn't need the cops in the first place. Based on what I read, the guy had every right to use lethal means. Too many people today think they can do anything they want in the extreme without any consequences. Hats off to one less punk in the world. Now if we (not the police) could treat gang bangers the same way as terrorists...
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
    I agree that we have the right to question. But Weil might have escalated. We don't know what was said.

Several times, back in the day when our son was young, I had to ask people to check their language in a public place. I would ask in a polite and respectful manner only to be told (nice and loud so everyone could hear) to go F**K myself.

Might just be a So Cal thing.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Back in the old west everyone carried at least one and many times more than one firearm. I bet they we're more polite and less confrontational. Anything could become deadly if carried too far. You would tip your hat to a female not say "yo B****h move aside". Different times I guess. :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,310 Senior Member
    It's kind of an open area but an exit ramp is right next to it, there are lots of homeless people in tent city (till tomorrow when they said they have to leave) under the overpasses and some businesses 100 yds in the other direction. I'm not sure if the guy is a good or bad shot but shooting someone in the butt is silly, if you're gonna shoot, mean it. The guy could very well have returned fire.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Back in the old west everyone carried at least one and many times more than one firearm. I bet they we're more polite and less confrontational. Anything could become deadly if carried too far. You would tip your hat to a female not say "yo B****h move aside". Different times I guess. :nono: Later,

:agree:
    Several times, back in the day when our son was young, I had to ask people to check their language in a public place. I would ask in a polite and respectful manner only to be told (nice and loud so everyone could hear) to go F**K myself.

It then becomes a gut check.

Just a few months ago some loser teen was talking to her other loser friend on a nextel for all to hear at a local bookstore. She was going isle to isle with volume cranked high as it would go. Customers were sighing, head shaking and so on ...in other words, no one had any balls to tell her to turn it off. This white trash loser, who will soon be on welfare raising eight kids, was obviously enjoying the scene she was creating. When she came to the isle I was on I told her to turn it off. She told me to do something that was anatomically impossible and continued on. I then grabbed it from her hand the whole time she's tellling she's "getting her boyfriend" ...then, when that didn't work, she's going to "call the police" blah blah blah. Upon reaching the front entrance I threw the smart phone in a nearby trash can. (I wanted to smash it) Never saw her again. I do remember the shock on her face when she realized that some play hardball. Sometimes one reaches a point where ya just don't give a sheet. I have no patience for punk kids.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member
    no one had any balls to tell her to turn it off. .

Possible. More likely they knew there was zero chance of her listening without some sort of intervention and decided not to waste their time. Was it really worth risking an assault charge? You must be one tough dude picking on a fifteen year old girl.:roll: Next time don't mess with the phone, just throw the pimp hand, that way she really knows you mean business.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    The whole incident sounds like a dick measuring contest to me.
    Jermanator wrote: »

Agreed. Seems to me that both dudes were more interested in proving who was tougher (seems to be going around) than in actually being men.
    George Carlin
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Kind of an odd case. My thoughts are such (and sorry, I haven't yet had this post cleared by knitepoet or any of my other fans, and I realize I should PM them for permission, but here goes anyway):

1- The guy had zero business confronting the photo taker in the first place. He wasn't being attacked or otherwise confronted in any way. If he thought that someone was breaking the law, he should have called the cops. He was in no danger nor was anybody else.

2- After the argument began, as far as he says, it does seem that he acted in a reasonable way, but there don't seem to be any independent accounts as to the scenario.

3- Because the guy has a record of confrontations, it appears that he's a bit of a hothead anyway. I'm guessing that his account of the escalation is slanted in his favor. But if he's telling the story straight and the photog guy did get a weapon from his car and really did threaten to shoot everyone, the perhaps the reaction was justified.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Was one named Richard Skinner?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Kind of an odd case. My thoughts are such (and sorry, I haven't yet had this post cleared by knitepoet or any of my other fans, and I realize I should PM them for permission, but here goes anyway):

You really had to go there? Really? Since you're naming names, might as well list us all! :rotflmao:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,780 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    You really had to go there? Really? Since you're naming names, might as well list us all! :rotflmao:

A large fan base .......I agree
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »

Incorrect. Guns in the Old West were not nearly as common as Hollywood shows them to be.

But back to the original post, it's hard to judge. Of course, everything sounds reasonable coming from the dad, but what's the other side of the story?
    He walked over to the photographer and began yelling obscenities at him, the photographer backed up and retrieved his gun in fear, then when the dad got his gun, the photographer tried to get away in his car since he didn't want to shoot or get shot, but the dad shoots the windows out while he's fumbling for his keys. Then when he tries to go to his friends' car, they panic and run, and he can't get the car in gear to get away from the deranged man with the gun.

It's all in who tells the story and how they tell it. If the dad asks (emphasis on ASKS) politely for the girls to cover up while there's kids around and the photographer flips his lid, then Dad should call the cops and escape the situation. But he didn't. He decided that he would escalate the whole thing by directly confronting the guy.

Again, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking, but that's most likely what should've happened.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Was one named Richard Skinner?

rimshot!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    But back to the original post, it's hard to judge. Of course, everything sounds reasonable coming from the dad, but what's the other side of the story?
    He walked over to the photographer and began yelling obscenities at him, the photographer backed up and retrieved his gun in fear, then when the dad got his gun, the photographer tried to get away in his car since he didn't want to shoot or get shot, but the dad shoots the windows out while he's fumbling for his keys. Then when he tries to go to his friends' car, they panic and run, and he can't get the car in gear to get away from the deranged man with the gun.

It's all in who tells the story and how they tell it. If the dad asks (emphasis on ASKS) politely for the girls to cover up while there's kids around and the photographer flips his lid, then Dad should call the cops and escape the situation. But he didn't. He decided that he would escalate the whole thing by directly confronting the guy.

Again, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking, but that's most likely what should've happened.

Excellent description of what the other guy (the photog) might say -- right now we've only got the shooter's depiction.

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,700 Senior Member
    It is all about RIGHTS....
    The photographer had the right to be there and the dad had the right to leave if he did not like what the other guy was doing. If dad thought something was amiss, he should have reported it. I'm pretty sure the parents of the other kids at the park did not appoint him as their guardian.
    In my opinion......the dad was spoiling for a fight....
    And if someone pulls a gun there ain't no way I'm going to leave my 6yo hiding by himself in a pool while I go and confront the guy.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    ........ I then grabbed it from her hand the whole time she's tellling she's "getting her boyfriend" ...then, when that didn't work, she's going to "call the police" blah blah blah. Upon reaching the front entrance I threw the smart phone in a nearby trash can.......

You put your hands on her person? :nono:

Assault!

Thank goodness you felt no need to draw down on the '' punk kid.'' :guns:

I sometimes think the inmates have taken over the mental ward. :buff2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    It then becomes a gut check.

I then grabbed it from her hand the whole time she's tellling she's "getting her boyfriend" ...then, when that didn't work, she's going to "call the police" blah blah blah. Upon reaching the front entrance I threw the smart phone in a nearby trash can. (I wanted to smash it) Never saw her again. I do remember the shock on her face when she realized that some play hardball.

Had that been my daughter, we would be playing hardball.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,700 Senior Member
    .......... loser teen ........... loser friend........... This white trash loser, who will soon be on welfare raising eight kids.........

Wow......You figured all this out in five minutes in the book store?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I need to see pictures of the bikini clad girls in order to make a proper assessment.
    Buford wrote: »
    Had that been my daughter, we would be playing hardball.

I love sports.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    I love sports.

Being a judjemental fool is a sport?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Being a judjemental fool is a sport?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Naw, just don't tolerate gang banger punks who think it's okay to harass elderly patrons for kicks.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    Reference has been made to Weil being a hot head with a history..............The guy has two prior arrest records from when he was 18yrs old, was found Not Guilty of one charge and convicted on the second. Both happened just under 20yrs ago.

He is now a family man with 2 kids and is studying full time.

It could be that he made some mistakes as a teenager, paid the price that society set for him and 'grew up' as a result of that.

I don't know the guy personally but it seems to me that 'There but for the grace of God' go some if not most of us.

He appears to have 'kept his nose clean' since then.................I would be hesitant to label him a hothead or liken his actions to Rambo based on those facts.

Monday morning 'quarterbacking' is grossly overrated..............

I wonder what the threads would be saying if Weil hadn't got his weapon and the 'photographer' had gone 'stupid ' and opened fire in a playground full of kids....................?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Some good commentary, orchid, thanks -- you made points that many of us (me included) hadn't considered.

Naw, just don't tolerate gang banger punks who think it's okay to harass elderly patrons for kicks.

Apparently, elderly patrons harassing (supposed) gangbanger punks is okay? By your own words, she was doing no more than being rude. You took it up a notch by 'telling her to turn it off'. What right did you have to do that? Now, I hate rude behavior as much as the next guy, but trumping rude with downright hostility seems like it defeats the purpose. Frankly, I don't buy the gangbanger aspect at all. If she really was some thug's babymama, she wouldn't stand for some dude snatching her phone away from her. I don't doubt she was rude, but she sure wasn't the tough sort.

IF this happened at all. Big if.

But hey, it's your story, you tell it however you want.
    George Carlin