Sales Of Bulletproof Blankets Beat Maker's 'Wildest Expectations'

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
I think an earlier thread may have been about these, but now they are on the market fer $1000 each. I see many pitfalls with them and a very limited usefulness. However, I'm way beyond being a parent with school age children.

I'm afraid parents/teachers/kids will be lulled into a false sense of security using these.

Advertised for protection against bullets and tornado debris.....it all depends. To me on caliber and category of the storm.

What say you?

The comments at the bottom of the article are scary, only a couple posters have any sense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/bulletproof-blankets-body_n_5479885.html
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Should be "Bullet Resistant"...there ain't no "bulletproof"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    A Thousand bucks for one? Gee whiz, for that amount, and for the good publicity, I'll bet Keltec would sell four, and maybe even five P3ATs to the teachers and administrators. Methinks that would "cover" a heckova lot more kids. Just sayin'.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    By the time the gunman picks up the blanket and shoots a bunch of kids, he's going to have a nice pile of blankets to protect himself when the police finally show up........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Remember when you were a wee little kid and were terrified of the monster under the bed or in the closet? You managed to convince yourself that it was eight feet tall, fur as black as night, eyes red like coals, and with six-inch fangs and teeth that could rip through the hood of your dad's truck. . .yet somehow you deluded yourself into feeling safe hiding under a quarter inch of cotton sheets and polyester blankets?

Basically, the blankets were effective protection BECAUSE THE CLOSET MONSTER WASN'T REAL! Kids playing "turtle" under a bomb blanket? Seriously? All a shooter has to do would be to get 'em hunkered then take a whole class full of them hostage, or kick the "turtle" over and plug them at their leisure.

ARM THE FREAKIN' TEACHERS!!!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

There you go makin sense again :tooth::guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    May have merit as a cover shield during some storms
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Bout as effective as 'Gun Free Zone' signs in my view.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,786 Senior Member
    Those blankets are so small as to be worthless even for storm flying debris. With the kind of $$$ outlay for one for each student they could build a decent tornado proof steel reinforced concrete shelter and have money left to arm the teachers with decent firearms and lots of ammo.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    What is bullet proof to some cartridges only causes the bullet to slow down and expand in others. Most bullet proof vests work ok against slow moving hand gun cartridges but a high velocity cartridge like chambered in an AR or about any center fire rifle cartridge will only slow down a little and still penetrate right through a bullet proof vest and most likely also this blanket.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Remember when you were a wee little kid and were terrified of the monster under the bed or in the closet? You managed to convince yourself that it was eight feet tall, fur as black as night, eyes red like coals, and with six-inch fangs and teeth that could rip through the hood of your dad's truck. . .yet somehow you deluded yourself into feeling safe hiding under a quarter inch of cotton sheets and polyester blankets?

Basically, the blankets were effective protection BECAUSE THE CLOSET MONSTER WASN'T REAL! Kids playing "turtle" under a bomb blanket? Seriously? All a shooter has to do would be to get 'em hunkered then take a whole class full of them hostage, or kick the "turtle" over and plug them at their leisure.

I agree, arm the teachers to the hilt. Make sure they're trained and can hit the broad side of a barn from the outside, and then if you wish, use the blankets for the interim time it might take an armed defender to get on the purp with is weapon and blow his Cua Cua away. Not that those blankets will actually stop even a .223 but it might help to defuse the lead that's flying in this type situations.

I've been for arming the Teachers for like ever. This crap of disarming the innocent is a no brainer from HELL!!! It's as stupid as "Gun free zones!"

My next question is "Where does the left dig up all these loony tune Ideas?"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.