Concealed vs Open carry

Uncle BSUncle BS MemberPosts: 380 Member
Just curious what the general opinion around here is. My personal thoughts are (and this only applies to the places I go in my personal life) that OC would be absolutely ridiculous about 85% of the time. I understand that there are several gunsmiths and armorers here and in their situation I would think that it would be perfectly acceptable most of the time. I'm just trying to understand these activists dragging an AR around to the Wallyworld just to make a political statement. I carry concealed daily, I can carry my Sig 938 in a bathing suit and you'd never know. I like it that way. Thoughts???
cpj wrote: »
Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Personally, I wouldn't ever; except when hiking or fishing.

But, it is a states issue and don't ever let the OC crowd say otherwise. The 2A is "keep and bear arms", not "keep, bear, and openly display arms".
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    ORLY?
    Is it fair to assume then that the Founders had heated debates over Inside the waist band carry VS outside the waist band carry?

And howinell would they have conceal carried a 5 foot long flintlock rifle? And those flintlock horse pistols would be hard to conceal IWB or OWB; they weren't itty bitty little compact 9mm pistols!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 470 Member
    I think it is a matter of sense and propriety. Because you have the right to do something does not always make it a good idea. For example, a well dressed professional looking person with a handgun on his hip in a holster will likely get a different reception than someone dressed in camo with an AR hanging from his chest. IMHO, a lot of the open carry advocates cost us support. They do not win any voters and that is the crux of the matter.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    It does seem a bit like an excuse for the mall ninjas to show off their gear. I mean if they can't resist wearing tacticool clothing, then they're gonna want to get as much value as they can from that $1000 rifle..
    Solution; wear it everywhere, it'll even look like you use it regularly, real mall ninja street cred
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Eh. Doesn't bother me. At least I know where THAT armed person is. It's their right, so if it makes you uncomfortable, just go elsewhere.

The way I see it, they are at greater risk from MY weapon than I am from theirs since I have the tactical advantage.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Open carry ain't for me, but I would be perfectly content seeing others do it.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Even though societal discretion, by and large, died long ago, I'd still rather not see yours, and would oblige you by NOT showing you mine.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    You may have the right, but using good judgement, may be the better option.

If a light turns green and you start across the intersection, having the right away and a large semi is not going to stop and broadside you, this may not be good judgment, if you are killed.

I have no interest in open carry other than hiking, fishing or participating in some shooting event. The element of surprise often provides the best defense, IMO.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    And howinell would they have conceal carried a 5 foot long flintlock rifle? And those flintlock horse pistols would be hard to conceal IWB or OWB; they weren't itty bitty little compact 9mm pistols!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Trousers???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I've noticed a few folks say this, and I do it too, but.....why is hunting or fishing an OK activity to open carry when running to the store isn't ?

I say this too, and for me when I'm going into the woods, or at some kind of shooting event, I tend to carry a full size pistol versus the sub-compact that I carry most of the time. My 1911 is by far my favorite pistol to shoot, but my least favorite to carry IWB, and it weighs a ton, so a real belt is required.
    It's too easy to throw my sub-compact in my pocket for a quick trip to the store.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    I guess because when you're hunting or fishing you're usually out by yourself on private or Government land that has been oked to carry firearms around on and the public expects to see a few firearms, especially if you're hunting. But going in Walmart or Dairy Queen with a hog leg on your hip in plain sight makes some nervous.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I've noticed a few folks say this, and I do it too, but.....why is hunting or fishing an OK activity to open carry when running to the store isn't ?

Stores get robbed by people who for all intents and purposes open carry too and I don't want to set that alarm off in others and would appreciate them not doing so to me.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Open carry ain't for me, but I would be perfectly content seeing others do it.

EXACTLY.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    ORLY?
    Is it fair to assume then that the Founders had heated debates over Inside the waist band carry VS outside the waist band carry?

It doesn't say specifically about openly displaying arms. So we both can't say one way or the other, really.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    How you figure that?
    At some point an armed robber has a gun in the open. I don't want to be guessing someones intentions whether they're getting a carton of eggs or money for their meth habit while I'm trying to get $40 on pump 3. If you're walking a trail in a state forest or fishing a river/lake in bear country I know this to be a poor choice in locations for a criminal to be looking for a score if I happen by.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    I think it's a bad policy for gunowners. The more open carry you see, the more "No Firearms" signs you're going to see. It makes a lot of others uneasy. I personally think those who carry openly in public are azzhats and are not working for the common good of gun owners.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,278 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    It doesn't say specifically about openly displaying arms. So we both can't say one way or the other, really.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to think they meant any thing other than bearing period. The controversy is a modern one. Bearing to me means however I want to carry.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I think it's pretty unreasonable to think they meant any thing other than bearing period. The controversy is a modern one. Bearing to me means however I want to carry.

To me (this is just my opinion, so untwist any potential panty wedgies) the 2A is this:

"...keep ( in possession of; on ones person or in their home) and bear arms (produce to ward off threat or use in defense) shall not be infringed."

Personally I would not open carry in public, but I don't care about others that would. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Granted then a Kentucky rifle wasn't exactly a concealable thing. I'll concede the original context did not probably regard concealing anything.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't ever; except when hiking or fishing.

But, it is a states issue and don't ever let the OC crowd say otherwise. The 2A is "keep and bear arms", not "keep, bear, and openly display arms".

The 2nd amendment is (or was originally) about the Federal Government not being able to restrict private arms. Until modern "incorporation" it was pretty widely accepted that the states could have legislation that strayed from "shall not be infringed". Some states mirrored the constitution and B.O.R. other states were more restrictive.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    We need a sticky
    this is a frequent theme lately :deadhorse:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I think it has to be considered with the culture in the Area. Here in Alaska it is nothing to walk into walmart and see a guy with a pistol on his hip...Saw two guys at applebees the other day carrying. ONE was open, the other was concealed, but printing with his full size glock every time he twisted or bent.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member

Doesn't specifically say you can't, and I doubt it was a debated issue. I think prohibiting it is against the constitution's provisions, whether I would personally do it or not.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.