What Fish and Animals are on Your Outdoor "Bucket List"?

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,351 Senior Member
I am not even talking trophies or even bagging one. I would at least like to try to hunt the following animals just so I could experience what it is like...

Black bear
Moose
Wild hog
Mule deer
Speed goat (you Colorado boys convinced me of that this year)
Duck
Gulf Coast deep sea
East Coast deep sea
(I have no clue what they catch that way, but I would like to try it once)
Blacktail deer

Others I would do if the opportunity came to be:

Brown bear
Wolf
Bison
Gator
Caribou
Salmon shark
Spear fishing pike

Been there/done that/will do it again if I can:

Alaska saltwater
Alaska freshwater
Great Lakes salmon/lake trout (I might book a charter next summer if anyone is interested)
Whitetail deer
Elk (I didn't get to "hunt" but I was my brother's gun bearer-- that was pretty cool!)

Africa? I am sure it would be pretty cool, but quite honestly, it doesn't excite me like North American game does.

How about you?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    Elk, Moose, Caribou, Bear

Salmon, Halibut, Tuna

If the oppotunity came, Antelope, Wolf, Muleie, Stag, Hog, Muskie.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Tuna
    Yea. I want to do tuna.:up:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,426 Senior Member
    For some reason I really want to hunt Caribou, that's at the top of my list. The entire list goes like this:

Caribou
    Speed Goat (with a .257 WBY)
    Elk
    Big Horn Sheep
    Mule Deer
    Kudu

If I were to drop the money tomorrow, it would be speed goat, because I can hop over to NM and do it, plus it's on Dad's bucket list. I WILL go to hunt a Caribou at some point.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Africa? I am sure it would be pretty cool, but quite honestly, it doesn't excite me like North American game does.

How about you?

Africa is the best thing that will ever happen to you. I would strongly suggest doing your best to go there some time. My time in Africa was incredible. I have hunted on three continents, but nothing I have ever experienced has compared to Africa.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    For some reason I really want to hunt Caribou, that's at the top of my list. The entire list goes like this:

Caribou
    Speed Goat (with a .257 WBY)
    Elk
    Big Horn Sheep
    Mule Deer
    Kudu

If I were to drop the money tomorrow, it would be speed goat, because I can hop over to NM and do it, plus it's on Dad's bucket list. I WILL go to hunt a Caribou at some point.

I really want to hunt Caribou. However. sheep hunting would be way above that, especially since it is so much harder to draw a tag. Sheep in North America is one of my top goals, I need to start applying for tags soon, maybe ill draw one before I die. My ultimate goal is to hunt on each continent. I've done North America, Australia, and Africa. Hopefully South America is next.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    Off the top of my head, I want to harvest a mule deer, antelope, and elk on this continent. There's some critters that I want to harvest in NZ and I want to do Africa at least once. Incidently, for those of you that want to catch tuna, I fish for yellowfin in Venice La. on occasion and it is magical. Now that my divorce is final, I plan on making the trip to Venice at least once a year. The tuna fishing is incredible and the trip is much more reasonable that you would think. If any of you have a hankering to catch tuna, I know some great boats out of Venice and would love to set up a trip.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Man...you guys all need some time out here in CO lol

Lets see...

Musk ox, don't know why, just need to shoot one
    Oryx
    Eland
    hippo
    moose
    bison
    tahr
    chamois

fish wise....
    still haven't caught a damned mackinaw (lake trout)
    10lbs + large mouth
    wahoo
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Big game
    Klipspringer
    Waterbuck
    Cape Buffalo
    Elk
    Bighorn sheep (any of the sub-species would do)

Fish:
    10+lb. largemouth
    Blue Marlin
    Northern Pike
    20+lb striper
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Fish, number one here is flounder. I'm going to get my boat ready and make one or two good trips before they shut down gigging in November. By December most of the fish are in the Gulf. October is a good month.

For animals-deer and hog. Also, maybe a shot at a goose or a duck later and possibly some dove or in the spring, a shot at a Turkey or two.

One more edit here, I don't much care to watch a lot of bow hunting on TV, but the one thing I would love to do with a bow is shoot a turkey or a goose. That would make both Turkey hunting and bow hunting interesting for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,834 Senior Member
    I've been very lucky with hunting and fishing in N. America on a low budget.

Been there done that:
    Texas whitetail, pheasent, hogs.
    Redfish, speckled trout, black drum, and flounder.

California blacktail, hogs, mule deer, black bear, chukkar, mt quail.
    Yellowtail, yellowfin tuna, bluefin tuna, lingcod, halibut, various sharks

Arizona muledeer

Michigan whitetail, pike, and hooked and lost a muskie

Idaho whitetail, Shiras moose, black bear. Hunted wolves and elk, but haven't killed either.

Two weeks ago I fished and caught my first salmon (pinks and a Silver) in Washington. What a blast!

My bucket list:

Yukon Moose
    Grizzly
    Sheep
    Mt Goats

Black Marlin
    Tarpon
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Two weeks ago I fished and caught my first salmon (pinks and a Silver) in Washington. What a blast!

I was wondering how that went. Please share with the rest of the class!!!
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    If any of you have a hankering to catch tuna, I know some great boats out of Venice and would love to set up a trip.

Seriously- let me know!
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    My realistic "really want to before I die" list is short.

Alaska Yukon Moose
    Mountain Caribou

My "would'nt mind and might actually happen some day" list.

Black Bear
    Mountain Goat
    Big Northern Whitetail Buck
    DIY Spike Camp Barren Ground Caribou (No camp with lots of people for me. Drop my butt off on the tundra and pick me up in 2 weeks if I'm alive.)

My dream list is rather long but probably just that, a dream. So, not really worth mentioning.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    ...Tarpon

I recall a magazine article about Florida flats fly-fishing for tarpon, while wading in the shallows. Really put some spice to it when you add the occasional patrolling shark to the mix!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,834 Senior Member
    I was wondering how that went. Please share with the rest of the class!!!

Since I was on the WA coast for work, the only opportunity was in the afternoons/evenings. We combat fished the Snohomish River, wading in waist deep moving water. Caught a lot of humpies and snagged my fair share of pinks and silvers. Had to release one King. At the end, I brought home eight decent pinks and one silver.

I loved the look on the faces of the front desk clerks when I trudged into the lobby dripping wet, carrying a stringer of bloody fish.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    Sounds pretty cool. Salmon are a blast to fish! I have a job on the west side of the state Tuesday and we are having a record salmon run coming off of Lake Michigan. I am going to bring a pole and try to get done working early.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Hunting:

More deer. :tooth:
    Hog.
    Coyote.
    Elk.

<scratching head> Can't say I really have any great urge to go hunt anything else at the moment.... maybe prairie dogs someday?

Fishing:

More Redfish/Snook/Trout/Grouper/Kingfish/Mackerel :tooth:
    Tarpon
    Wahoo
    Sailfish

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Squirrels
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Squirrels

What is my dog doing posting under Ned's username?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I think he's trying to give you a subtle hint. LOL

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    What is my dog doing posting under Ned's username?
    Hunting them with a dog is more fun than a barrel of breamfisher's.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Hunting them with a dog is more fun than a barrel of breamfisher's.
    I have never heard of that. Honestly, is there a way to do that? My dog is a squirrel fool! He got within 3" of one the other day after trying all summer.