Rifle for a 12 year old girl

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,487 Senior Member
I have been conversing with an aquaintence on another web site. His daughter has been shooting with him and wants to hunt with him. She'll get her license this year and will hunt mule deer and pigs. She is small of stature. He has decided on the caliber 260 Rem or 7-08, 6.5 Creedmore isn't out of the question. . I have recomended the Savage Lady Hunter as I've read good articles about the design of the stock. It was designed with a short LOP, shorter grip, and less drop to accomadate women, children and small stature people. I started to research other youth model rifles (Ruger, Rem, Weatherby) but all I can see about them is "Compact" and "shorter LOP". Nothing about drop or grip distance. That includes my favorite choice the Rem Model 7.

What can you suggest for her? Are there other rifles designed for women, children and small stature folks? Should he look at after market stocks and adjust asit as she grows?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    My daughter was light limbed and as such ANY rifle was to front heavy. We went with a 30-30 and I made 125gr loads for it that have made 5 one shot stops on PA deer. I wouldnt have any compunction to using the same load on a mule deer.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The CVA Hunter is a well proportioned rifle for smaller sized shooters.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    For a 12 year old girl, the .270 is the obvious choice for caliber. :jester:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    They are hunting mule deer and pigs in the western US. Ranges will be 100 yards plus. From what I know of him they will have a 250- 300 yard limit. Mulies and pig stretch the 243's limits and I like his choice of calibers.

CPJ, I agree with the Creedmore but from what I've seen Savage doesn't offer the 260 Rem. I'd go 7-08. I think he hand loads. What other calibers are you thinking of, 300 RCM?

Where can we find info on stock dimentions that are designed for a lady, child or small stauture person?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,786 Senior Member
    Can't go wrong with the .260 or the 7mm-08. As to the rifle, to me that's a no brainer. Let her shoulder several different makes and models, and get the one that fits HER comfortably.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I'm a hard headed old bastidge...... find a compact 260 Rem..7-08 rem.....hack cut grind on the stock till it fits right...........replace it when she grows into it.............any Savage........Rem........Howa.....will do........if you ran into one of those old Kimber Swedes..........with the plastic stock..............it would be an easy fix..................Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    Ruger makes a compact model of their excellent American model in 7mm-08. It has a shorter LOP than the standard model and it's around 6 pounds. The Americans run around $300-$350, cheaper than the Savage.
    QUOTE=cpj;361051]As far as the particulars of the stock, I'm guessing most youth type stocks are simply a regular stock that's got a shorter pull length.[/QUOTE]

That's my concern. I'm trying to find a stock says it has a shorter distance from the grip to the trigger. LOP is adjustable the grip is not. If the grip distance is too long the shooter has to roll their hand off the grip to get their finger on the trigger. This will effect the ability to hold the rifle tight to their shoulder, increase felt recoil and effect their trigger pull and accuracy. I found two manufacturers that advertise shorter grips, Savage, Lady Hunter and Browning, X Bolt Micro Midas.

It also dawned on me a streight stock or saddle stock wouldn't have this issue. The BLR and NEF Handi could be a choice. Though there are military rifles with and other lever rifles with streight grips I don't feel that make the grade for this girl.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    6.5X55 Swede. Not coz it's better, but it's different. Teach her a little history of the round and she can impress the hell out of her friends as she expounds on the attributes of this unusual cartridge.

Another thought, is to get a custom made for her. My dad and I sporterized my first deer rifle together back in the 60s. It was a really nice 1930s 8mm and we fashioned the stock, bent the bolt, changed the sights together. I really appreciated the quality time and the result was a really nice deer rifle that I eventually outgrew, but always remembered.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    Buy a common caliber, .308-.270-.243-30-06, and use the factory reduced recoil loads until she wants to move up to full house loads. Moss berg ATR in .243 is my current favorite "kid" gun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wow, the Mossberg Super Bantam is cool but a little heavy. They have one called the Muddy Lady that his girl would fall in love with.

BTW that taticticool lever gun is the stupidest, ugly thing I ever saw.

I'd rather over think and research well than under think and get it wrong. When I was a kid my BIL bought me a shotgun. It's a Win model 37a 28 inch full choke that kicks like a mule. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that even at my full height (5"8") the gun was still an inch too long. It frustrated me from the day I first shot it (4'8") til I cut two inches off it and fitted it with a soft recoil pad.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...best bet is to make it a father/ daughter project & research & handle as many rifles as possible together, here are a few more options...

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?compact

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/wby_x_gh2

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/mossberg-atr/atr-youth ...not the first name that comes to my mind when thinking rifles, but I was surprised by the Bantams & the marlin X7 Youth isn't a bad buy...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    I have been conversing with an aquaintence on another web site. His daughter has been shooting with him and wants to hunt with him. She'll get her license this year and will hunt mule deer and pigs. She is small of stature. He has decided on the caliber 260 Rem or 7-08, 6.5 Creedmore isn't out of the question. . I have recomended the Savage Lady Hunter as I've read good articles about the design of the stock. It was designed with a short LOP, shorter grip, and less drop to accomadate women, children and small stature people. I started to research other youth model rifles (Ruger, Rem, Weatherby) but all I can see about them is "Compact" and "shorter LOP". Nothing about drop or grip distance. That includes my favorite choice the Rem Model 7.

What can you suggest for her? Are there other rifles designed for women, children and small stature folks? Should he look at after market stocks and adjust asit as she grows?

I would get her a Remington model 700 in 7-08 and work a load up with 140 grain Nosler Partitions for the big stuff and Sierra Game kings for anything Whitetail size and down. Put a decent 3-9x40 scope on it and she's set.
    Oh yeah and added to this, I would make sure it has a really good soft pad and/or maybe also a good brake. Remember, recoil will NOT be her friend.

I wouldn't get her a youth model rifle. I would have the LOP adjusted by a competent Gun Smith where it fits her. Also try to get the scope as low in the rifle as possible with the lowest rings you can find. She's in the age range where she can grow in spurts and that Youth Model will feel like a toy in no time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Relatively light kick, decent punch, affordable ammo & easy to reload. Rifle is light, compact and very well built & finished.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I will always recommend the .243 for a 'whitetail-sized' first rifle. It is what everybody was recommending for kids and women when I was a kid, and nothing has changed. I never personally owned one until a year ago, when I found a bargain on an old Remington Mohawk. It is unbelievably sweet to shoot, very accurate, little recoil, and is devastating to deer and hogs. I loaned it to my SIL, and he won't bring it back. :tissue:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    If he's dead set on a .260, and you want a Savage lady hunter, call Savage. They'll build anything you want. I've called and talked to the nice lady a few times. She'll start a file with the rifle you spec out, and your FFL just has to call her with your name, and $$$, they build it, ship it. Easy. If it was me, I'd have Savage thread the barrel for a brake, too. Nothing takes a kid out of the game quicker than too much recoil, and the 260 can be lively for a small girl, in a small rifle.

I really like the idea of the Lady Hunter. Youth rifles are just small rifles, with short stocks.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Weatherby Vanguard GH2 is supposed to have different geometry like the Savage Lady Hunter. Also has spacers to grow into, and 300$ cheaper
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Really? No one's thought of an AR carbine with adjustable stock yet? A .300 whisper/blackout/whatever..... will do within' 300 yrds......move up to an AR10 platform and get into all the .308 based family of cartridges.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    I was thinking about the AR 15 platforn but the lightest they come without a scope is about 7lbs, 7 1/2 with a scope. The Savage comes in at 6.125. Others come in up to 6.5. In addition do you really want a new hunter handling a semi in the woods the first time out? I'd still suggest the bolt of lever gun.
    Gentelman, thank you. My aquaintance has been lerking here and your input has been helpful. He appears to be a very inteligent relaoder and is doing diligent research for his daughter. I hope he'll join us here someday. The other web site had smart mouths and weak minds. My dask is finished. Thank you.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    The Rossi Matched Pair youth is a great and economical starting point. I am a huge fan of collapsible stocks so they can grow with a shooter or be adjusted to fit several shooters. I think the Knoxx Axiom stock is available for several rifle platforms.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    cpj wrote: »
    The Rossi matched pair is a screaming pile of crap.

I have started many shooters with mine with no problems whatsoever. It is not fancy but it is light and handy enough for smaller shooters. It does kick a bit due to its light weight. I consider it a gun to be quickly outgrown but inexpensive enough to be no big deal if they don't like shooting.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    Gentelman, thank you. My aquaintance has been lerking here and your input has been helpful. He appears to be a very inteligent relaoder and is doing diligent research for his daughter. I hope he'll join us here someday. The other web site had smart mouths and weak minds. My dask is finished. Thank you.
    Since he's a handloader
    http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf
    They have reduced recoil loads for a LOT of the common hunting rounds.

I use their 125gr NBT 308 Win loads for the wife in her Ruger Compact.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

cpj wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact...it's a screaming pile of crap.

He is new, you have to explain.

Hvy, there arent many firearms that havent gone through the wringer by someone or someones here. That is why you see range report threads, updates to range report threads, bullet damage assessments (wait for deer season and wear your CSI gear), 'Why isnt this working" threads, and "Help me, I broke my gun" threads.

If something comes up short, it will be taken apart and looked at from a lot of different angles. (unless its a 270, because ....... who cares?) The Rossi was run through and although I didnt follow the thread, because they are not my style, I do remember that it wasnt a steller example of fiine craftsmanship. That doesnt mean that yours wont work, it does mean that it probably wont work as long or as well as something else without a lot of attention. Taurus revolvers are another example. They are ok, but just ok as long as you get one of the ones that wasnt built on Mon or Fri.
    I suppose it may not be a favorite. It the H&R or NEF are available in a wide range of calibers readily scoped and with decent irons with available shotgun barrels as well. It is light and handy for shooters too small for heavier firearms. I got my matched pair for $85 on Black Friday years ago. It has been my choice for many new shooters first shot as it will not be loaded if they decide to dance around when they hit their target. If I want I can order barrels to hunt just about anything on North America so unless I see an issue I can't see a reason to not recommend it. But again H&R and NEF have equally versatile choices. My 12 year old daughter is 6' tall and large framed and shooting since she was 5 so she can handle anything most men can but YMMV. I have been teaching kids to shoot for about 30 years so I may have developed an opinion or two on the subject. Spending a lot of money on a gun that will be outgrown is silly to me but that is just me.
    They make new stocks every day. A little tung oil and it is no longer outgrown. My 18 yo daughter has been shooting since 5 also, she is a bit lighter framed so I had to get the weight back, went with a 30-30. Younger 13 y/o is larger and a Ruger American in 243 is what I got for her. Neither is a "great" gun, but both are pretty decent for what they are.

FYI, my 18 y/o daughter and 15 y/o son will be shooting a Garand, 03, M1 carbine, prone, sitting, rapid and offhand and a MN sniper at 300 and 600 yds in comp in the next 4 days. I might know a little about getting kids into shooting also. :wink: