I have a friend I've invited to join here.

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
My friend has a bunch of guns and unlike me, he trades and bargains for guns all the time. He's presI think is a ently building a 284 Winchester on a custom action. He calls it an F class . If some guy shows up asking 100 questions on this subject, please try to help him out. I don't know what his screen name will be, but I think you'll recognize him.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    so is it L
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    so is it L

NO Ned not Larry. I can't get Larry interested in guns. He's too tight to spend money on a habit like ours. Also, Larry had a bout with Colin cancer a few months back. He went to the Houston VA hospital and they took out a rather large section of his colin. They told him they got it all, but how many times have I heard that? Anyway, last time I checked on him he was doing ok and still cancer free.

This guy is a bit younger than me. Larry is my age. I met Larry in the first grade.

I'm not even sure this guy will show. We'll see. He has some neat guns. But I'll let him tell you about that, if he ever comes on.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    We will make him welcome.....and if he has questions about F class.........we might be able to dig up a few folks with answers...........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    We will make him welcome.....and if he has questions about F class.........we might be able to dig up a few folks with answers...........Ken

That's what I told him we had a few F-Class people here.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Isn't one Larry here enough?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    yes
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    That's what I told him we had a few F-Class people here.
    ummmm.......did you happen to mention the spanish iquisition littany of questions we have for new folks?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    LMLarsen wrote: »

Yeah, that's why this one isn't a Larry, but if he finally comes here I'll let him tell you that.
    ummmm.......did you happen to mention the spanish iquisition littany of questions we have for new folks?

Oh NO! If so he would run for the nearest mountain, which by the way is probably 400 miles west of here.
    Oh and BTW, he informed me that I misunderstood him. His new project is NOT F-Class. He only mentioned F-Class because his project rifle is a .284 Win. and he said that one of the recent F-Class champs used a .284. I don't know how but in the mix of Phone Texts I took it to mean his rifle was an F-Class, of which he promptly reminded me that his rifle didn't weigh 26 pounds or whatever F-Class rifle's weigh. But hey, he nor any of you either, will get an argument out of me about the virtues of a .284 Win. Remember, I own a 280 Rem. it's near ballistics twin.

So I stand corrected. He was mainly interested in what twist rate would stabilize the Berger VLD bullets he's thinking to buy (either 160-170-180, he hasn't decided yet). His barrel is a 1 in 10 twist and he's wondering what's the heaviest bullet it would stabilize.

He says this is his premier pig rifle so I told him in a .284 I would shoot nothing heavier than a 150 grain and also that for me, for pigs anyway, it would be a Sierra whatever, mainly Game King. But I like Pro Hunters also, even though they don't seem to expand as well as the Game King.

Everyone thinks of Game Kings as long range bullets because of the boat tail. It may not be its intended purpose but that boat tail does more than to not resist the atmosphere, it also helps it expand. I use them on these Texas Whitetails at all ranges because of that. Very few deer and NO pigs have run off from my shots with Game Kings in my .270 Win. and I know they will work equally well in these 7mms with there silly two tenths extra millimeters. And I more than suspect that the couple deer that did escape my grasp when shot with them were because of a lack of good shot placement early in my hand loading career.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    I run a 9T in my 7mm's
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    How does a boat tail help a bullet expand?

Wondering that myself.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I run a 9T in my 7mm's

I believe that's the preferred twist in those, but the box on some Bergers I have in .308 recommends 1:10.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member

It's a .270 thang, you wouldn't understand.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

I don't know if expand is the right word, but they seem to either have a thinner skinor are not bonded as solidly as a flat base, or so I've read. But don't ask me where I read this. It's something that's stuck in my head from a ways back. I have read it before on more than one occasion. I just can't come up with a specific example, so take it or leave it as here say. But that's what I understand.
    It's a .270 thang, you wouldn't understand.

My friend has no .270s and gives me as much grief over having one or mentioning it than they do on here.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know if expand is the right word, but they seem to have a thinner skin.

Could it just be that the Game King is a thinner jacketed bullet? At least compared to the Pro Hunter.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    That's what I suggested in my post above and you quoted. That's what I meant by "Thinner skin."

Maybe more frangible is a better description.