Migrating geese......what choke would you use for pic no 2 lol

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,731 Senior Member
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    FLECHETTE.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    I have never seen that many, but I've seen a lot in one group. They will almost block out the sun. We used to shoot snows and blues and skin em. I fry em in a turkey frier after an all night marinade and a good rub. Shoot the dry parts up with a brine pump and some liquid garlic and/or onion.Fry em about 2 minutes per pound.

Oh yeah I forgot, with steel shot I've had good luck with an improved cylinder choke.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    I know there is an extra full...is there a such thing as an "extra cylinder?"
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    They call those blunderbusses.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I think my little Winchester Mod 06 .22cal pump would work just fine :tooth:
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Do they make a belt-fed 10 gauge?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    One dozen 18 pounder cannon charged with 18 lb. canisters of appropriate shot. Give them a broadside when they come in range. Or a MOAB.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Six-Gun wrote: »

Yep, but it's called Improved Cylinder.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Actually an IC is a tighter choke than a Cylinder. I think a "Skeet" choke is the widest open choke you can get.

I have no idea whether or not Skeet is the most open choke, but you're definitely right that IC (Improved Cylinder) is tighter than "Cylinder" (Bore).

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Cylinder is absolutely the most open choke (zero constriction) you can get (short of that ol' blunderbuss) - I don't even think you can get a "cylinder" choke tube from anywhere, the cylinder bore is most commonly encountered in smoothbore slug barrels or HD shotguns, or in any shotgun shortened more than the few inches of choked barrel at the muzzle.

In order, if memory serves, the general constrictions are: Cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder, improved skeet, modified, full, x-full, "super"-full.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    I have no idea whether or not Skeet is the most open choke, but you're definitely right that IC (Improved Cylinder) is tighter than "Cylinder" (Bore).

Luis
    Actually, you can buy a Cylinder choke tube from Trulock, maybe other places as well.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    In order, if memory serves, the general constrictions are: Cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder, improved skeet, modified, full, x-full, "super"-full.

There is one more that you omitted.............its called ' Damn!, I forgot to put a choke tube in'....

( Never used it myself but know a couple of people that have.)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    A choke of thirty thousandts will fall into which of these constrictions? This is the jugchoke in my new fowler, and I'm just wonderin'....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    A choke of thirty thousandts will fall into which of these constrictions? This is the jugchoke in my new fowler, and I'm just wonderin'....
    Light full
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    My dad went on a hunt in Missouri one time..... he used a Model 12 with a poly choke on it. Three of them crawled up next to a field full of Snows behind a hedgerow. He twisted the choke all the way to cylinder. After they jumped up to flush the birds his Boss who was with him asked, " What the @#** are you shooting from that thing? Everytime you fired I saw blue sky open up!" They got 11 birds with 9 shots.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Yes I know Improved Cylinder is tighter than cylinder, but flaring the muzzle to make it more open isn't going to spread the pattern. The flared Muzzle actually acted more as a funnel for loading, than as a choke. Modern testing has shown that the flared bore actually had no effect on spreading the pattern.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Blunderbuss (Retrieved on 10/09/2011)
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 461 Member
    I'd go with the blunderbuss! Good grief! what a gaggle of geese!!:yikes:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Commercial hunters used to use a punt gun for something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk