STATE COMP. - Equipment failures, progress and prizes

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,261 Senior Member
And HEAT! Lots of it. Oh and did I mention torrential downpours?

Fridays sidematch started like dung. At 1:00 (start time) the flood gates opened up. We started about 2 in oppressive heat and humidity. My Ruger MKIII 22/45 failed me miserably. First two strings it had several FTF,FTEs resulting in max 30 second times. I shot it Thursday and it worked fine. Federal HV bulk pack always worked fine through half a box but not Friday. Switched to CCI standard velocity, no better. Switched again to American Eagle HV and it worked ok. Rifle, Marlin 795, ran fine but 1 jam. Never made it to 125yd shot, I hit the 100 target and that's when it jammed. There was about 50 people, twice as many as expected. It was fun despite the rain, mud and malfunctions.

Saturday I pulled in at 7:30 and there were a ton of cars. About 150 shooters from 10 states. First string or me was pistols and the jams started again. I was saving my CCI mini mags for rifle but switched to them and it ran better. I started shooting ok the second through forth stages. Times were ok, not great but ok. Then came rifles. I had 3 factory mags and 2 promag 25rd mags. First 3 strings with factory mags went fine, next two both promags had jams. Put them away and had daughter reload the factory ones while I shot. I did pretty good for me, had one string timed at 2.3 seconds, 6 shots at ~25 yds. The rest went good, got better each string. Did I say it was hot? mid 90s and HUMID

Next came the awards and prizes. $10,000 worth of stuff. Tables set up and when they picked your name, you picked a prize. By the time my name was called all the good stuff was gone so I got a S&W T'shirt. Then came the gun prizes. First was a 50th anniversary 10/22, synthetic stock. Guess who's name got pulled, yup little ole me. So I now own a 10/22. All and all it was a lot of fun, winning a gun was a bonus.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,900 Senior Member
    That's great, Clean won a 10/22 once a while back.

So, do you guess the humidity was your problem?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,261 Senior Member
    Ya know, I thought about that but probably not. Perhaps to much oil? I'm not sure, don't know enough about the Ruger yet, only had it a couple months and this is the first time it's had any issues.

Something else I discovered, with my new peep sights on the rifle, it is more accurate for sure but when speed shooting, it is not as easy to recognize if you got a miss because of the tiny aperture. Sometimes you don't hear it and your already on the next target. I start having my daughter calling out a miss which worked well.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Ruger autos tend to like hotter ammo. They're tight and econo-ammo tends to leave a lot of residue gumming things up.

Heat/rain/humidity is also known to cause disruptions in the space/time fabric and The Force......basically making life sucky.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Ruger autos tend to like hotter ammo. They're tight and econo-ammo tends to leave a lot of residue gumming things up.

Heat/rain/humidity is also known to cause disruptions in the space/time fabric and The Force......basically making life sucky.

In a perfect world of plentiful .22 ammo, I'd use minimags for everything but it's near impossible to find.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Can you put a larger aperture in it?

Where there's a drill, there's a way.:tooth:

Ammo failures. . .there's not much you can do about bad priming in a .22 aside from isolate the lot number that's giving you problems and not shoot it when you NEED the gun to work.

If it's gun-related. . .MKI/MKII/MKIII bolts are not hard to strip. Check the firing pin and its channel for burrs, then make sure you've got that dinky little rebound spring back in it's proper place.

Oil. . .a couple schools of thought. You can apply the desert warfare M16 theory with little to no lube on your bolt's exterior and accept that you'll be scrubbing off cakey .22 residue periodically. You can also apply the non-desert M16 theory of running your bolt with a lot of CLP on it and in it, based on the notion that lots of it will serve a detergent function by keeping the cakey .22 residue broken up, fluid, and not slowing down your moving parts.

You're also not clear on whether "FTE" stands for Failure To Extract from chamber or Failure To Eject from gun.

Extraction failures are often crud-related - either in the chamber (causing drag - solve with Bore Snake), or under the extractor (causing insufficient grab - solve with generous flushing via compressed air, Crud Cutter, lots of CLP and working the extractor hook, etc... ). Can also be a rim dimension issue on rimfires, but if your current lot has been running OK previously, probably not. Check the extractor itself for damage.

Failures to eject the spent case often start out as failures of the extractor to properly grab the case rim, leading to inability of the ejector to kick it clear as it should. You can also have insufficient rearward bolt velocity. Clean and lube should fix that.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Can you put a larger aperture in it?

Yea it looks like they make a kit that has a .125 aperture with 3 inserts to change the size. Going to order it today.

What do you recommend for a 10/22 trigger? Low priority right now but probably do some major mods to this thing after the M&P gets a trigger and red dot.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    Whoa. If it has a removable aperture in it currently.....remove it. All fixie.

As to the 10-22 trigger, ask JBPohio. I THINK he just swaps the hammer, can't remember which one it is.
    I did a trigger job on mine, and for the 30-40 bucks for the hammer, I'd spend the cash next time.

Three best things I did to mine, they are cheap, and can all be installed in 15 minutes.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/607022/power-custom-competition-hammer-ruger-10-22?cm_vc=ProductFinding

607022.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363360/volquartsen-exact-edge-extractor-ruger-10-22-10-22-magnum-mark-ii-mark-iii-22-45?cm_vc=U112

363360.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/572337/volquartsen-recoil-buffer-ruger-10-22-10-22-magnum?cm_vc=ProductFinding
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Another mod you may want to do if you are reloading during the round..................
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Extraction failures are often crud-related - either in the chamber (causing drag - solve with Bore Snake), or under the extractor (causing insufficient grab - solve with generous flushing via compressed air, Crud Cutter, lots of CLP and working the extractor hook, etc... ). Can also be a rim dimension issue on rimfires, but if your current lot has been running OK previously, probably not. Check the extractor itself for damage..

Don't know what level of accuracy you are going for, but I have to rezero every time I clean the barrel on my .22's.......
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    Gotta like a "Free" gun, 'cause now you need a new trigger, a new sight, a new optic, a sling, a case, a magazine release, barrel, several boxes of ammo to sight in with and to check for function, etc. etc. etc.........:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11