Police to Get X-Ray Scanner For Vehicle Inspections & “Public Safety”

Mrs_ChiefMrs_Chief MemberPosts: 292 Member
I can see this being abused on many different levels. Your driving to a range to shoot or just carrying (CCW) or legally have a gun in your car. Maybe on the way to a SE Shoot. Scanned and followed/stopped.........BC

http://www.infowars.com/police-to-get-x-ray-scanner-for-vehicle-inspections-public-safety/

Replies

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    ""Currency, Non-Metalic Weapons (Glock is shown), "It's Hard to Confiscate What You Can't See".

I can see the potential for abuse also.

"Sorry about destroying your cars interior and scattering your personal belongings all along the side of the road while you sat there in hand cuffs. We saw something funny on the x-ray.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Far as I know, performing x-ray scans without prior permission or a warrant is illegal search. The article already states that x-rays on people are not allowed anyway.

This quote was a bit strange, too:
    Commenting on the roving x-ray vans, EPIC’s Marc Rotenberg warned, “Without a warrant, the government doesn’t have a right to peer beneath your clothes without probable cause. Even airport scans are typically used only as a secondary security measure.

First, the article makes zero mention of what "EPIC" is nor who Rotenberg is, either. He just pops up and makes a statement, no real attribution. And his saying that airport scans are only used as secondary measures or exceptional cases? Where's he been the last dozen years?

Aside from x-rays, I can be stopped anytime for any varied reason. I'm a fairly, er, "aggressive" driver and have often been stopped for going too fast, etc. As a CHL holder, I'm required by law to tell the officer that I have a weapon and license. This CHL also comes up on their computer when they run my license tags. So yeah, I've been stopped quite a few times when carrying and none of the cops have batted an eye. In fact when I show them my Glock 30 they then want to chat polymer vs. metallic.

That being said, I do see the potential for abuse but illegal search will get cops in a bind so much, lawsuits too, that they aren't likely to use the gadgets unless w. a warrant. The purpose of this thing is to reveal outlines, such as packets of drugs or bundles of money inside closed objects, like, as shown, a tire.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,050 Senior Member
    It's an Infowars article, so I'd take it with more than a grain of salt...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member

Yep...should be your first clue that it's a bunch of bunk...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    It's actually a legitimate product being marketed to LE.

http://www.hstoday.us/single-article/as-es-z-backscatter-technology-is-now-portable/b10e3875280ee7918614cdf8a24d9325.html

The MINI Z is designed for law enforcement, first responders, border control, event security, maritime police and general aviation security. Its single-sided imaging and compact size offers operational flexibility for scanning “on the go" RTEmagicC_ASE_MINIZ_SCANS_TIRE__2_.jpg.jpgin hard to reach environments. The system produces an easy-to-interpret image to quickly detect organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.

AS&E’s President and CEO, Chuck Dougherty said the MINI Z, which leverages the capabilities of the company’s Z Backscatter detection technology, is the initial offering of what will be a family of portable backscatter products.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,764 Senior Member
    It appears to be a backscatter X-ray transmitter/receiver. With any luck they'll smoke their giblets using that thing. Ignorant people playing with ionizing radiation machines makes me nervous.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Ah, sure. Alex Jones is of course a 9/11 "truther" and other things. BIG grain of salt to be sure.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Geo-orbital satelites scan our every day activites, drones now authorized over U.S. soil, traffic cameras can follow us almost anywhere in the city, and hand held "back scatter" devices are far fetched???
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,050 Senior Member
    Far-fetched? No. Is it as insidious as Infowars would have you believe? Probably not. It's something to worry about, but I doubt every cop in the nation will have one...
    Overkill is underrated.
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Geo-orbital satelites scan our every day activites, drones now authorized over U.S. soil, traffic cameras can follow us almost anywhere in the city, and hand held "back scatter" devices are far fetched???

So you have no problem with this?
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    As technology "Advances" when they can just pass you by or from a drone and see if you are carrying or have a gun is my worry. maybe years off before it's that capable.

Since 911 (and even before) many good things have been developed like advancements in robotic technology (EOD stuff) ,but along with it all comes stuff like electronic fingertip scan electronics that can allow or not allow a person to fire a gun, not a mandatory requirement and hopefully will never be. However, businesses and market places being what they are, a lot of "Tactical To Practical" is being pushed sorta like all the "Moon Shot" space exploration stuff NASA developed became available for general use or modified for applications in products we now use everyday. And so has a lot of the stuff developed by the necessity of war that was fielded/ tested and used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's my point. Call it "Unintentional Consequences" or the trickle down effect, if you like.

Will a van be able to pull up beside us and record or already know all there is to know about us from a device required in all moving vehicles in the future? I dunno, they are already trying to plant mileage/speed tracking GPS type devices in our cars to record or transmit data and to try and TAX us us for miles driven, so yes it is a real possibility.

Not there yet, but all this high tech stuff can be a double edged sword if we aren't careful to put limits on its use.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!