Winchester vs Marlin

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,461 Senior Member
Just voted.

Pics to follow.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,726 Senior Member
    They are both in the the old ones are the cool ones now category. Shame
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Win is the winner, cause shes Special, 32 Winchester Special

win9432spl_zps3b2aeaa5.jpg

Just a couple LIGHT scratches on the wood, 2-3 spots on the metal receiver, the places where they wear show a light patina where the blueing is worn, and there is probably 85% or better left. Serno puts it at 1949. The carry strap needs a little relocation. Since it has a hole in the stock now I guess It will wear a strap.

For those who dont remember this has been on my back burner for a while now. My father bought one when he came back from Korea and I hunted with it as a kid never got a deer in front of it. When I went into the Corps, he was robbed and the rifle was taken along with cash and coins. I never really though about it until I got older and had time to go hunting again. I decided that I wanted to take one with a Winchester 32 Special. I have seen a few but most look like they were opened one time or another with a hammer. I saw this one, picked it up, looked at it, put it down, turned to walk away and said to myself, "no way". Walked it up to the counter and told the guy I would be back with cash. A hour later I owned it. 640 OTD inc tax and background check fee. I might have gotten one cheaper, but I dont think in this condition.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Awesome! That gun found you. I hope you get a nice deer with it this fall. Congratulations.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,765 Senior Member
    Nice rifle, and in an interesting caliber! If you reload for it, then .30-30 brass is readily available to neck up for it if you have trouble finding .32 Win. brass, too.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,726 Senior Member
    Ur a shop vac! Great rifle!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    That is awesome! Great find, hope you take out one of Bambi's relatives with it this fall!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Awesome. It is so great that you are able to own a gun from your past. I have one rifle that is a similar story.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,429 Senior Member
    Win 94 in .32 Win Spl was my first deer rifle. Got stolen when I was 16.

Although almost the exact ballistic duplicate of the .30-30, for some reason that old .32 of mine would slap the wet snot out of you. All the Mod 94 .30-30's I shot were mild in comparison.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    That bad boy just oozes cool! :cool:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Deer will quickly be pulled toward you by the massive vacuum effect. Congratulations!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Really cool. I sure don't see many classics like that around here.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a great find. You can be proud to own that one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,045 Senior Member
    A nice caliber! I saw ammo for it at Academy Sports last weekend! I looks like it's in great shape.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Awesome, that was my first CF rifle and I got my first deer with it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    That looks pretty nice, hope it is a shooter.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    You don't suck! You rule! Great story and great buy. I own every gun I wanted as a kid. I'm so glad for you.

Congrats!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    cpj wrote: »
    "Walked it up to the counter and told the guy I would be back with cash, and my personal vehicle".

FIFY???

Nice rifle.
    Negative Ghostrider.
    Its going to be a reload deal. Currently, I cant find any brass available on the net. I have a few LGS to scour before I go for loaded stuff. Although Hornady makes Leverevolution for it, if I can find some of that I would buy 3 boxes for the brass and I have heard good things about it. I dont think it will be a daily shooter, likely after I get some paper time on her she will get carried in the woods until I get a deer, and then probably be a deer driving tool.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Nice! Beautiful rifle.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Nice. I don't think that's a bad price - I saw a pristine one in .32 Special at a gun show that the guy swore had never been re-finished - he wanted $1800 for it - no takers while I was there.
    I dont think it was to out of line for what they are going for these days, but the condition is pretty nice compared to what I have seen for about the same money.

Bore looks like there is rifleing in it, I need to put some oil and a little time in it to get a better idea but I am pretty sure that it will hold M.O.D. at a hundred or so.
    COTW says the .32 Win Spec was a smokeless powder made to be reloaded with black powder. Of course, that was back in the day when smokeless powder was in its infancy.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Very nice grab....looks to be in great shape. Always had a thing for that particular chambering...can't say why though. Maybe because it's a departure from the whole "Winchester 94/.30-30 thing"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Gene L wrote: »
    COTW says the .32 Win Spec was a smokeless powder made to be reloaded with black powder. Of course, that was back in the day when smokeless powder was in its infancy.
    I am pretty sure I read that that is not the reason that the 32 was invented. It is a fact that Win said it can be reloaded with BP and they offered a sight for that, however the reason the 32 WS was made was to get a little more power than the 30-30 with equal or less pressure and a little less snort than the 30-40.

It would be kind of silly to invent a cartridge that would directly cut into your ammo biz that only fit a niche market.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    :yousuck: Very nice! My Dad use to have one of those, and I've always thought I would like to get one if the right situation came along.
    Well, BP wasn't such a niche market when the .32 Special was adopted. I don't think the 30-30 was reloaded with BP. In the infancy of smokeless, BP was held to be more accurate.

The .32 is about like a 30-30, and one has to ask why Winchester invented it in the first place when it would be in competition with its other more famous round.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I am pretty sure I read that that is not the reason that the 32 was invented. It is a fact that Win said it can be reloaded with BP and they offered a sight for that, however the reason the 32 WS was made was to get a little more power than the 30-30 with equal or less pressure and a little less snort than the 30-40.

It would be kind of silly to invent a cartridge that would directly cut into your ammo biz that only fit a niche market.

Here's what Wikipedia says about this fine cartridge:

"This cartridge is based on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge of 1895, but differs from the .30-30 in bullet diameter. More significantly, Winchester decreased the rate of rifling twist in their Model 94 rifle, from 1:12 when chambered for the .30-30 to 1:16 when chambered for the .32 Winchester Special. Winchester used the slower twist to reduce fouling retention when creating a new cartridge for sportsmen who wanted to reload their own ammunition using black powder and cast bullets.[3] It was also marketed as something more powerful than the .30-30 and yet had less recoil than the .30 Army.[2][4] This new cartridge enjoyed only moderate success, and remained hampered by the small selection of available bullets in the .321 diameter.[2] There is a wide selection of bullet types and weights for the .30-30, while the only commonly available bullets in .321 diameter are 170 grain and 165 grain. Also, due to the slow twist of the barrel, accuracy suffered when the barrel exhibited wear.
    Performance

Ballistics are similar to the .30-30 cartridge and its .308 caliber (7.62mm) bullet, but the larger diameter .321 (8.15 mm) bullet of the .32 WS will create a larger wound. However, given the same weight of bullet in both calibers, the .30 caliber would have a greater sectional density, and correspondingly greater penetration.[5] According to Winchester's original claims, the .32 WS has about 5-10% more energy than the .30-30 at point-blank ranges, and less at longer ranges due to increased drag due to the .321's greater diameter and reduced sectional density."
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Nice find.

My dad killed his first deer with one of those. It belonged to his cousin.

Dad said it kicked like a mule.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Nice find.

My dad killed his first deer with one of those. It belonged to his cousin.

Dad said it kicked like a mule.

Same weight bullet as a 3030 pushed faster in a lighter rifle. Bbl is the same but the bore is larger.
    It is actually a decent increase over the 3030 in performance.