CMP Announces Proposed Changes to Service Pistol Rules

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,427 Senior Member
To make a long story short, the CMP has proposed modifying its Service Pistol rules from requiring a 1911 or M9 type pistol to permitting any "service style pistol" in order to increase match attendance. In other words, if these rules are approved your Glock, XD, Smith 686, etc will become legal for use in CMP Matches and you can use them to work towards your Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge. No changes to the course of fire itself have been proposed.

IMO these are changes that are long overdue, though it looks like their outdated restrictions on the 1911 platform will remain in place (no "combat style" hammer or safeties, .45 only, sadly meaning I STILL can't use my STI 9mm). This is exactly the move the CMP needs to make in order to breath life into the Distinguished Pistol Shot series of competition. I personally am currently working on becoming a CMP member, partially because I would like to weigh in on this topic.

Now if only they'd allow 1911's chambered in other than .45 and featuring "combat style" parts so that I can use my STI 9mm to pursue the President's Hundred Tab. I'd much rather utilize my favorite (and more than capable) handgun than spend the ~$2K to build the old LE trade-in 92F I have laying around into a NM gun.

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/Forms/ProposedCMPPistolProgramChanges.pdf
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    So, what you're saying is that you don't possess a generally GI-configured, .45ACP 1911, and have therefore basically failed as an American. :jester:

I acknowledge your frustration but. . .

The "Service Pistol" restrictions are basically along the same thought process as the ones for "Service Rifle", in which you have to play with a gun that is - at least to outward appearances - a minimally-modified Garand, M14,or M16. Step outside that box, and you play the Match Rifle game against the guys shooting tuned bolt guns with globe sights and bloop tubes - who aren't eligible for EIC points either.

I'll be the first to say that a lot of the "combat" features common on modern 1911's aren't going to help you in a one-handed Bullseye course, but the question then becomes "Where do you draw the line with regards to what ceases to be a Service Pistol?" There's is something to the traditional mindset when it comes to scoring - if you break a record that has stood since, say, the 1930's, you've done it with essentially the same restrictions on your gear and can compare apples to apples on the basis of skill alone. The goal of those restrictions is intended to keep the game about skill more than equipment, and that's a respectable thing. I'd be for carefully loosening some of those rigid 1911 specs to increase participation - especially since we now have the new Colt USMC Rail Gun as a service standard - but I'm still of the opinion if you're not shooting a U.S. service arm, the EIC matches ain't for you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    I was thinking of shooting a rimfire CMP match this weekend. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears since I have aperture sights, I would have to compete in the same class as those with scopes. While better than open V notch sights, how can they be considered on par with scopes?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,427 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is that you don't possess a generally GI-configured, .45ACP 1911, and have therefore basically failed as an American. :jester:

Pssst, Bigslug...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704367.941808.jpg
    Tapatalk will probably make it grainy, but it's an arsenal rebuilt 1943 Remington Rand.

Anyway, as someone with a background in Service Rifle I understand the spirit of the Service Matches. At the same time however, the features on a Tubb 2K v a NM AR are far more vast than the differences on a NM hardball 1911 and a popular target gun such as the SA Range Master. In my opinion, allowing (for instance) a beavertail grip safety on a 1911 is akin to the Service Rifle rule that permits a shooter to install an A1 butt stock on an A2 configured rifle.

In short, "combat style" 1911 features don't add any element of adjustability to a 1911 that isn't already intrinsic in the design, and as such I feel allowing them would not violate the spirit of the matches.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    You should let the USMC know that their M45 is not a service pistol.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    At first read I like the sound of this.

While my beloved H&K USP-c was not mentioned specifically perhaps I could get a clarification letter. I have a G-19 and a S&W 686.
    Sure sounds better than selling off something to finance a Les Bair "Hardball" to the tune of $2K.

My 686 would need to be modified to fixed sights if I read the proposal correctly.

I found the rimfire DM of interest as well.

With so many people entering the shooting fraternity this certainly seems like a solid proposal.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Pssst, Bigslug...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704367.941808.jpg
    Tapatalk will probably make it grainy, but it's an arsenal rebuilt 1943 Remington Rand.

Well hell...drop the extra power Wolff 18.5# chrome-silicon recoil spring kit in that bad boy, make sure you've got a bushing that gives a good slide/barrel fit, and you are off to the races! Contrary to popular misconception, those guns will shoot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee