SCOTUS gets one right

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,584 Senior Member
In a strong defense of digital age privacy, a unanimous Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police may not generally search the cellphones of people they arrest without first getting search warrants.

Cellphones are powerful devices unlike anything else police may find on someone they arrest, Chief Justice John Roberts said for the court. Because the phones contain so much information, police must get a warrant before looking through them, Roberts said.

Police must get a warrant to search a phone. I'm pleasantly surprised at this ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/25/supreme-court-limits-cellphone-searches-after-arrests/
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Police must get a warrant to search a phone. I'm pleasantly surprised at this ruling.

As am I.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,355 Senior Member

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/25/supreme-court-limits-cellphone-searches-after-arrests/
    Buford wrote: »
    As am I.

I would like to second Buford's second.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    :that::that::that::that:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile! :up:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    It's about time.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member

The only exceptions are things like child kidnapper's phone while searching for the child and bomb threats, etc. Immediately valuable to public safety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    Michigan Sate Police had a thing where they could take your phone and download everything off of it. They sometimes did this for routine traffic stops. I am glad they can't do it any more. It seemed awfully invasive.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Michigan Sate Police had a thing where they could take your phone and download everything off of it. They sometimes did this for routine traffic stops. I am glad they can't do it any more. It seemed awfully invasive.

As did I. It's the standard "do something unconstitutional as much as possible until the SCOTUS makes you stop" routine. They know damned well that it's not going to pass Constitutional scrutiny, but until a ruling comes down, who's gonna to stop them? I, too, am very pleased with this latest ruling.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    "The Obama administration and the state of California, defending the cellphone searches, said cellphones should have no greater protection from a search than anything else police find."

Shocking isn't it?

And this coming from the guy who won't show his birth certificate? Why am I not surprised?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5