Ohio shooters: need a rifle range recommendation

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,343 Senior Member
...specifically in the Dayton/Fairborn area. I'm moved in and have to get back in form with my .243 for my antelope hunt this coming August. That said, it seems that I took for granted just how much space and shooting range availability I had out in the Nevada desert for practicing out well beyond 400 yards. Here, I have yet to find a place within reasonable driving distance offering anything more than 250 yards.

Any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks!
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    There used to be one out in West Jefferson near Columbus, but neighbors had it shut down. Long ranges are hard in most of Ohio because it's so flat and actually fairly populated, even in the rural areas. Best bet maybe to try and hook up with JBOhio and see if you can shoot on his new range sometime.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    Last year Alpha, JB, and I met outside of Indianapolis, IN to get to a range with some distance. Your best bet is going to be to try and find a private club that may be in your area...
    http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    If you're looking for long range, this might be your best option. JB and Jerm and I ventured out there one day last summer. We had the whole range pretty much to ourselves and goes out to 750 yds. looks like about 2.5-3 hrs from you. Long day, but worth the drive.

http://www.bassandbucks.com/our-store/
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I cannot recommend them, but Google is your friend...

http://www.miamivalleyshootinggrounds.com/shooting-range-info-i-58.html
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Also the Grand American Trap Shoot used to be held in Vandalia, Ohio. ( now it is in Illinois ) There are a number of Trap Ranges in the Dayton Area and there is a Wright Patterson AFB Shooting Club as well.

I would recommend calling a few local shooting clubs. The trap shooters are a friendly bunch and you just might find a new sport.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,343 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I cannot recommend them, but Google is your friend...

http://www.miamivalleyshootinggrounds.com/shooting-range-info-i-58.html

I called these guys up last week, but it looks like the farthest they go is 90 yards or so. There is a public range in Spring Valley, but the weekday hours are gonna be tough to make after work (8am-6pm) and I figure the weekends are likely going to be slammed. The base no longer has a rifle range of any kind and does trap/skeep/archery only. I have a membership there, but have yet to use it. A few other places I called I left messages but never got a call back. As alpha suggested, I may end up having to do the Indiana drive to get in the shooting I need. It may be a long drive, but you can't put a price on practice leading up to a hunt.
    Another avenue is pest control in farm country. There are a ton of farms as you head towards Cincinnati and as you approach the Ohio River it gets more hilly and less flat. Corn farmers and the like detest ground hogs and they make awesome 200 to 300 yard practice shots. Try advertising on Craigslist for pest control for a low fee, and get some ground hog shots. You will make farmer and potential hunting connections as well. My shooting partner was a real estate agent, and made a number of farm contacts that way. Shot ground hogs in the summer, and deer in the winter. The added benefit is you will get your long range practice in as well.

D
    Central Ohio Farmers Co-op
    Marion Office
    Tom Bostic, CEO
    730 Bellefontaine Ave. Marion, Ohio 43302
    (740) 383-2158, (800) 258-2213, Fax (740) 382-4581
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Another avenue is pest control in farm country. There are a ton of farms as you head towards Cincinnati and as you approach the Ohio River it gets more hilly and less flat. Corn farmers and the like detest ground hogs and they make awesome 200 to 300 yard practice shots. Try advertising on Craigslist for pest control for a low fee, and get some ground hog shots. You will make farmer and potential hunting connections as well. My shooting partner was a real estate agent, and made a number of farm contacts that way. Shot ground hogs in the summer, and deer in the winter. The added benefit is you will get your long range practice in as well.

D

Great idea! :up: I will be making a few calls. I completely forgot how bad the ground hogs can get out this way, as I did see one standing full upright recently.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    The obvious answer is to buy your own property...... ;)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Come up. The only public long range ranges in the state are out east, coal country. The one in IN is closer to you, by far.
    I have a buddy in Logan who offered me access to a private 1000 yard range.
    You too, Jbp.
    FWIW,the Greene County Fish and Game club looks REALLY nice. Not far, and might be a good place to network with the locals of Big Buck central.
    http://www.gcfng.com/index.html
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    There's a place called Joes Shooting Range and Sausage Emporium. Pretty sure his range goes to 500 yards. ;-) he's a good guy, and likes fine beer.

Ole, t-shirt logo:cool2:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Ole, t-shirt logo:cool2:.

I'll wear one, if you will!
    It needs to have a mule/donkey somewhere in the logo
    Fine
  • U TU T Member Posts: 405 Member
    I'm a member of Richwood Game and Gun Club. $100 per year. 100 yd range with covered benches. outdoor pistol range. 200 and 300 yard range uncovered benches. Clubhouse, clay shooting. Unfortunately it's about 1hr 15min from Fairborn. I live in Columbus and I drive almost an hour to get there, and it's worth it.
    http://richwoodgunandgameclub.org/home.html

If you want to meet some time and shoot as a guest and check it out, let me know.

Tom
    That's a nice looking club. Given my present situation, 1 hr 15 min ain't looking too shabby, but jb and I also have some plans to shoot at his place here in the near future. Much obliged!
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    jb and I also have some plans to shoot at his place here in the near future. Much obliged!
    Let me know when that happens. I would love to meet up with both of you.
    cpj wrote: »
    Hey, maybe I could make that trip as well. We could have a grand ole time getting our butts spanked by Jerm and his Ruger.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Let me know when that happens. I would love to meet up with both of you.

No doubt. We're going to finalize the plans here soon. Once we're sure we can make it happen, I'll let you know.