A dream come true.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
As a kid, I dreamed of owning a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Remington Magnum. I even set about saving money from mowing yards to gather enough cash to buy one. Unfortunately, the $400+ price tag of the day was too steep for me. I ended up buying a Ruger Deerfield Carbine in .44 Mag from my uncle instead. The nephew price of $125 was much easier to attain.

30 years later............I'm staring at a used 5.5" barreled .44 Mag Redhawk in the cabinet of my LGS. Like Pavlov's Dog, I began to salivate. I look at the serial number and jump on their computer to check the Ruger site. It was made in 1984. The very year I worked my butt off to get one. All to no avail.

I had to have this revolver. It was an Elanore...........a dream.........a goal never reached. She would finally be mine.

Redhawk20-Copy_zps679d190e.jpg

I was one happy individual.

Redhawk2_zpsb91e0fc9.jpg

Redhawk1_zpsf42685e2.jpg

At the range, she was everything I'd ever hoped for. Trigger has had some work and breaks nicely in single action. Double action is smooth if not long. And she shoots.............well.............

Zero3_zps5b3b5f9d.jpg

..........she shoots where I want her to shoot.

The addition of a Galco cross draw holster will make her a dandy hunting companion.

30 years in the making...........another off the bucket list.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Galco1_zps1a2ac686.jpg
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Epic score. love the stocks.:yousuck:
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    About damn time.....been wanting 1 for the same time period....but other things always pop up.......congrats Bro.............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Very very nice rig.

Keep an eye on the holster tension screw they want to work lose.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Nice! I love my 7.5" .44 Redhawk. Great guns built like tanks.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    About damn time.....been wanting 1 for the same time period....but other things always pop up.......congrats Bro.............Ken

This is the first Redhawk I've seen in person in years. I had to act.
    NN wrote: »
    Very very nice rig.

Keep an eye on the holster tension screw they want to work lose.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe a little blue locktite.
    Nice! I love my 7.5" .44 Redhawk. Great guns built like tanks.

I'd have jumped on any barrel length. But, I'm exceedingly glad for the 5.5" barrel on this one. I already have a 4" Smith, 7.5" Super Blackhawk Hunter, and 10.5" Super Blackhawk. This one completes the spectrum.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Great gun :yousuck:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,065 Senior Member
    My sole kill with a handgun was with a Redhawk. I'd just got the gun the day before. Loaded it an went out on the porch where two squirrels were raiding my bird feeder. When they saw me, they skyed. I killed them both with three or four shots, a head shot and a between-the-shoulder shot. I thought I was an ace with a pistol!

Until the next day, when I zeroed the thing in and found out it was about a foot to the right. Point shooting seemed to work for me. I sold the gun soon after. Heavy and didn't recoil that much.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    cpj wrote: »
    What? No pics of the pimp grips?

Yeah.........no.
    Epic score. love the stocks.:yousuck:

They didn't come with the gun. The previous owner.........as mentioned by CPJ, had some mother of pearl pimp grips on the gun. It also came with the two speed loaders and a set of Pac Grips. But, I order these factory grips for her.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Very happy for you.
    A dream come true!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Nice story! Really nice Redhawk.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,105 Senior Member
    A thing of beauty - congrats!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Very nice. Now quit cheating and shoot another round. One shot groups don't count. :tooth:
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Very nice....beautiful shooter...:up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Congratulations on finding a gun you have wanted for so long.
    Once again, YOU SUCK!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Beautiful! I want one of those some day. You Suck!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Yeah. Wow. She's purty. I have the 4" .44, and the 5.5" 45, but I lust for a 5.5" 44. You suck.
    How's the holster?
    jbohio wrote: »
    Yeah. Wow. She's purty. I have the 4" .44, and the 5.5" 45, but I lust for a 5.5" 44.
    How's the holster?

The holster is nice. Good call. Thanks.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Another one bites the dust....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Thanks guys. I was star struck when I saw it. I was immediately texting the SJS for advise. Ha!
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Nice looking gun. I am interested in a 44 mag revolver myself. I can't swing the going rate for a redhawk, though that is what I would prefer. So you suck!
    It's because I hate Trump.
    At the going rate of a Redhawk on Gunbroaker...............I absolutely STOLE this gal at sub 1984 price. My LGS hooked me up. It must have been the wanderlust in my eyes.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,065 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    They didn't come with the gun. The previous owner.........as mentioned by CPJ, had some mother of pearl pimp grips on the gun. It also came with the two speed loaders and a set of Pac Grips. But, I order these factory grips for her.

Good for you! Although I'd kinda like to see the MoP pimp grips...just briefly, kinda...well, I don't know why.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    Nice gun Zee! Good for you on taking it home, when a gun picks you that is the right thing to do.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Congrats Brother! I finally scratched the very same itch last year - tho mine's stainless circa 1991. Had to Gunbroker it in from. . .I don't recall where.

My story was that I seemed to stumble over them with seemingly great frequency - - RIGHT up to the point that I decided I wanted one. Then they were nowhere. . .or they were 7.5".

Take heart, however, 5.5" Redhawk lustees - I just saw a brand spanking new one in Bass Pro Shops about three weeks ago, so it seems that they finally got their thumbs out and started making them again!

Now if they can just bring back the .357 version so I can see just how hot you can load a 173 grain Keith. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Very nice! My 5.5 is stainless, and they do shoot nice.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    I like my 4" Redhawk, I would have a 5.5" if I found one at 1984 prices at my LGS too. What holster did JB put you on and can we see the other grips? Nice find, I doubt that would have been there tomorrow if you hesitated.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11