Bubba had a grandpa

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,460 Senior Member
Wilst cleaning my new found 32 spl I came across a quandary.

What does one do when one has to tighten a sling swivel to a magazine on a mod 94 and the screw stayed out (like it is supposed to)?

Very simple system. Slide over magazine, tighten screw to hold in place. The keeper then swivels around the remaining screw.

slingswivel_zps72be3b3a.jpg

But Clem, the screw haint gettin taight.

Grandbubba solves the mystery.

grandbubba_zps99586844.jpg

W
T
{expletive deleted}
over?

Goes to prove stupidity knows no season.

For now I will live with it, but I am going to have to strip the mag down and clean it. The action was pretty coated in crud and I ended up taking the brake cleaner to it after 30 Qtips lost their lives. Upside is the bore looks bright and I think most of the crap was dust.

I think it will have to go to the smith to get that welded shut to keep water out if nothing else.

What does grandbubba do when the screw sticks out? 8 votes

Snug it up and leave it alone, because that is how it is made
25% 2 votes
Remover the screw and file it until it gets to a size you want, then reinstall?
37% 3 votes
RELIEVE THE {expletive deleted} MAGAZINE!
37% 3 votes
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Wow!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    Yeah

Not quite my words, but, yeah.

Heck of it is is the rifle OTB (other than Bubba) is in pretty nice shape for a civilian cared for, almost 70 year old piece.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    At least it's salvageable.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Looks like you'll need some purple or blue thread locker to keep that screw tight now :yikes:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Damn. People are amazing in their stupidity.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Looks like you'll need some purple or blue thread locker to keep that screw tight now :yikes:

I vote for RED locktite...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that Cletus got tired of his swivel spinning. . .and spinning. . .and spinning. . .so that his sling ended up looking like a corkscrew. That's definitely the inbred's solution though.:bang:

Might be cheaper and less painful to simply replace the magazine tube. Not sure how many variants there are, but Numrich seems to only want about twenty bucks.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    I like guns that are in their original form. If you can replace it with an original part that matches I would go that route.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Looked at Numrich, I think I will pull it apart tomorrow and measure it.
    Parent case is the 30-30 so that should work, looks like thy have a few variants in stock.. I will give them a call Mon.
    Mag on order. I found that someone at one time or another had it apart, at least the front end. The mag plug screw was frozen, so I found one on line and the front bbl band screw was a little rough, so a replacement is on the way.

Now that I have it apart, I am thinking of dressing up the stock. It isnt going to ever be a ultra desirable collector at this point, and I tend not to sell stuff anyway. I may just strip the wood a bit and refresh it with tung.

Still pondering.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Patch it with some duck tape and move along! :tooth:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    I just refinished by stock on my 94 Marlin. The trick is to smooth it down between coats with 600 wet or dry sandpaper, used wet and with a sanding block. It will knock down the high places and the shine and give you the oiled finish.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I have 3-4 stocks under by belt that I did with tung oil. EG http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/Varmintmist/MK1dressA_zps6998019b.jpg
    I am just pondering doing the old girl at all. It really isnt bad as in cuffed up, it just looks a bit worn and there is a dirt buildup that is kind of character-ish yet more tired looking. Since she is not ever going to be original since I have to replace Grandbubbas folly it wont hurt.

I have a few days before the parts get here, wont take to long to take from where she is to a recoat.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    My favorite old school mod was staking the crap out of the screws so they wouldn't loosen.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Bit of a update since the thread resurfaced.

I got a pre 64 mag tube from Numrich, it was not the correct pre 64 mag tube. I called and sent it back with a pic of the old side by side with the one they sent me. I got a email last Fri eve. that my order had shipped with the description of "non catalog item" . That means that they took what I hope is the right mag tube to the PO. The PO shipped it 2 day express on Mon, and the est arrival is Thurs. Still want govt controlled health care?