A couple of pics of the suppressor...........and target pics for the 204 using 10X..

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,702 Senior Member
..............the 12 quad bike tyre one.............

suppressor2046.jpg

While we were at the range yesterday we pulled the back of the suppressor off to do some maintenance.

Here is a pic of the inside.................

270sewingmachine008_zps76134fdb.jpg

Note the baffles at the far end.........The wire holds the 'tetron' in place.

Here is a pic taken on zoom showing the 50m, 100m and 200m target stands.

270sewingmachine010_zpsfb73e74c.jpg

We put another post just forward of the front of the suppressor and stuck a flat board on it so we could place the Chrony ............It seems to work although the trees around the bench seem to interfere with some readings, possibly due to the shade.

Loaded up some test loads for the 204 using 10X. Started at 24gr and went up to 25.

The first pic shows 4 loads from 24.2 to 24.5 ( one shot groups lol). Bottom hole is the 24.2 and top hole is the 24.6. Interesting to see the .climb as the velocity increased. Bloodhound was doing the shooting from his new Varmint laminated 204.

270sewingmachine014_zpsfb6bac7d.jpg

I loaded 5 of each powder weight so that we could firstly check for over pressure signs. The only load that showed any signs was the 25gr load. All the others were using match primers but the 25 gr load had CCI primers. The CCI primer was flattened..........the 24.9gr load ( using AR match primers) showed no signs of over pressure, which leads me to believe that the CCI ones are softer possibly.

After firing one of each load through BH's rifle, ( isn't that what friends are for- to pressure test new loads in THEIR rifles) I fired a few from my 204............then let the rifle cool down before shooting groups.

From a cold barrel, the best group I managed was this one.

270sewingmachine011_zpsf8015589.jpg

The first shot was the 'cold bore shot' and is the one out to the right.
The next three formed the group. Its about .4 from my rough measurement using a tape measure. Load is 24.8gr under a 39gr Sierra Blitzking. Chrony showed it was travelling at 3684fps.

Load testing will continue................
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,354 Senior Member
    Okay, you can shoot. How did the suppressor work? Post a short vid with sound.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Okay, you can shoot. How did the suppressor work? Post a short vid with sound.

Will be going back up next weekend to put a fan inside the suppressor (we need to disperse the smoke/heat as it causes a mirage effect). Will take the video and video both suppressed/unsuppressed shots for comparison....... ( did one after we set it up but cant find it in my pics folder)
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    :tooth:Nice suppressor, might be a little tough on running game shots but it does look functional!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,501 Senior Member
    Good deal! That's the exact load I use. Amazing what a difference a primer can make, eh?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Ingenuity gets a 10. Portability.............a little less.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Ingenuity gets a 10. Portability.............a little less.

:-)

Thanks.................we are planning to upgrade it to standard 4wd tyres. It will cut down on the mirage effect..............and allow more room for 'error', cos someone didn't take into account the height difference between the barrel and the scope.........................