Home Main Category Hunting

Loser!!!

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 16,244 Senior Member
Me...
2014 Michigan bear drawing, Newberry district, first season... LOSER!!!
2014 Michigan elk drawing... LOSER!!!

Mrs. Jerm...

My boy....
2014 Michigan elk drawing.... LOSER!!!

My girl...

The odds of getting any elk tag are about 1:121 and they only issued 100 tags this year. The bear one was a shocker. I had 6 points. Everyone that had 7 points for that hunt got a tag. Half the people with 6 points also got that tag. I didn't. It looks like bear will have to wait until next year. I am kind of bummed, but what can you do?
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
-Thomas Paine

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,573 Senior Member
    Bastiges!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,194 Senior Member
    Did you forget to paperclick the cash to the back of your applications?

I know better luck next year does nothing to help, but thats about all anyone can offer at this point.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    It will be that much more rewarding when you finally do get drawn and . . .

Who am I kidding? You wanted an elk THIS year and it SUCKS!
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    It definitely sucks thinking you will get drawn for something and then not getting it, especially when you're so close. While it didn't pan out for that bear tag, it will make next year's huntthat much more rewarding.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,403 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am kind of bummed, but what can you do?

You could come shop for an easy-to-get, difficult-to-fill deer tag in my zone.

Look at it this way; the state told you to stay home with the heat, the bed, and the indoor plumbing. I get to go out and freeze while kidding myself.:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I will still be out there. I can basically get all the deer tags I want. If I work at it, I could probably bag one or two. What gets me is that everyone who made the hunt I made my second choice their first choice, got it with 3 points or more.

Maybe the big guy is telling me I need to do some goose hunting in September and October as opposed to messing with bear. I got that Goose Gun and the 10ga SxS that will be needing workouts.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I put in for the Texas Public hunts every year. I've been drawn before but usually I also put in for my Grandson and he's been drawn twice now. But he hasn't killed a deer yet. I think he gets buck fever. You can take a kid to the range a hundred times, but there's a big difference in a piece of paper and a deer. The deer stirs the emotions to a fever pitch and until you've actually shot at one it takes some getting used to. Or it takes one kill. Then it seems to be instant confidence.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Maybe the big guy is telling me I need to do some goose hunting in September

or a road trip we have plenty here
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

Did you get one?

Jerm, put on your peanut butter sandwich gillie suit and sit in your "deer stand", looks like a case of self defense.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Weatherby wrote: »

There is no closed season here and a 3 bear limit...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/regulations/wildliferegulations/pdfs/bear.pdf
    -Thomas Paine
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Did you get one?

I didn't but also didn't wind up hunting much. My friend who lives at the farm gets them most years.
    On the average I would say 66 -75 % of the time.

Fine lets go....LOL
    2014 Michigan bear drawing, Newberry district, first season... LOSER!!!
    2015 Michigan bear drawing Newberry district, first season... Wiener!!! I am a wiener guys!!! I am going bear hunting this fall!!!
    anthony-weiner-sexting.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
    Or is it bare hunting? I guess I will have to make it both.
    -Thomas Paine
    Congrats!!!! :beer:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Cool, what do they have in MI, black bear? Hell, you could rastle one of them.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Yep, they are black bear. I got the prime area in the prime hunt dates. It took a few years of waiting, but I think it will be worth it. I am pretty excited!
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,894 Senior Member
    If you want, you can come down to FL to hunt in our newly re-opened bear hunt...
    I'm just here for snark.
    OK, since you first began this quest you have picked up and built a few different guns.
    What do you plan to use ??
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    If you want, you can come down to FL to hunt in our newly re-opened bear hunt...

You are kidding, right? They are going to issue permits for $100 for residents and $300 for non residents, and the season will close prematurely if the registered bear harvest exceeds 20% of the state's 4000 estimated bears. Since we haven't had a bear season here in about a zillion years, it's going to be a "zoo" in the bear management areas.

I will pass this year.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    You know how to skin a griz Pilgrim?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,894 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    You are kidding, right? They are going to issue permits for $100 for residents and $300 for non residents, and the season will close prematurely if the registered bear harvest exceeds 20% of the state's 4000 estimated bears. Since we haven't had a bear season here in about a zillion years, it's going to be a "zoo" in the bear management areas.

I will pass this year.

D
    But he can say he was one of the first to hunt. He'll just have to wear hunter orange - lots of it - else folks will think he's a skunk ape.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    OK, since you first began this quest you have picked up and built a few different guns.
    What do you plan to use ??
    It is between the yet to be built .430 SJS chambered Mossberg X7 (waiting on the barrel and need to test first) or the .338 Federal that BP Sniper tweaked for me.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,573 Senior Member
    Go Jerm! Go Jerm! It's your birthday! It's your birthday!!

Woohoo!

After all these years waiting to see you plug a bear with the .338 Federal........and it ain't even first in line now. Figures.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Good luck Jerm.......We have too many here they even opened shooting them during deer season this year
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Or is it bare hunting? I guess I will have to make it both.

Won't that frighten the bears?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    :tissue:.338 Federal, YOU PROMISED!

Very cool though, are you going to bait, hire a baiter, or some other method?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    :tissue:.338 Federal, YOU PROMISED!

Very cool though, are you going to bait, hire a baiter, or some other method?
    My roofer has a great guide up there. The first five days are bait only. After that, it will probably be with dogs.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    338 federal? Boooooring.
    A wildcat YOU made? Not boring.
    Don't get me wrong, I want to see how that .338 performs as well. But come on? This may be the first game ever taken with a .430 SJS-- that is history!
    -Thomas Paine