Home Main Category Hunting

Loser!!!

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    :tissue:.338 Federal, YOU PROMISED!

Very cool though, are you going to bait, hire a baiter, or some other method?
    My roofer has a great guide up there. The first five days are bait only. After that, it will probably be with dogs.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    338 federal? Boooooring.
    A wildcat YOU made? Not boring.
    Don't get me wrong, I want to see how that .338 performs as well. But come on? This may be the first game ever taken with a .430 SJS-- that is history!
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,566 Senior Member
    Not if I have anything to do with it.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I want to see how that .338 performs as well. But come on? This may be the first game ever taken with a .430 SJS-- that is history!

I have to ask.

What the heck is a .430 SJS? No doubt it's been cussed and discussed in this forum, but I was away for a while and missed it.

Sounds interesting.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,685 Senior Member
    My roofer has a great guide up there. The first five days are bait only. After that, it will probably be with dogs.

A guide is a good thing, baiting is A LOT of work, I should have gone with my friends when they were younger and more motivated and wanted to help me. Shoot a 500#er hey!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I have to ask.

What the heck is a .430 SJS? No doubt it's been cussed and discussed in this forum, but I was away for a while and missed it.

Sounds interesting.
    It hasn't been discussed. The last wildcat I thought up and talked about online became the .45 Raptor. Somebody that is NOT me is marketing it. I have been kind of quiet about this one. It is basically a Michigan legal cartridge for deer hunting in their limited "shotgun zone" that has identical ballistics to a .444 Marlin-- or so I hope. It is supposed to work in AR 10's and short action bolt rifles. I have reamers made, barrels ordered, and some people to test them. Once I am sure it actually works in reality like it works in my head, and we get some safe loads developed, I will talk a whole lot more about it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Great news! SJS Innovations LLC said that they would mail out the deposit to my bear guide tomorrow. In fact, they said that as long as I use their cartridge, they would pay for the whole hunt out of their marketing fund. Their only request is that I get what they called "sciency and stuff" with the kill and do a thorough evaluation of the cartridge's performance. And lots of photos that they can use for marketing purposes.

I talked to Kip da' Yooper (my guide) today. From what he says and from what I have seen that my friend has taken through Kip, the odds are with me that I will take a nice bear.
    -Thomas Paine
    Pretty cool, eh.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Good luck Jerm!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Great news! SJS Innovations LLC said that they would mail out the deposit to my bear guide tomorrow. In fact, they said that as long as I use their cartridge, they would pay for the whole hunt out of their marketing fund. Their only request is that I get what they called "sciency and stuff" with the kill and do a thorough evaluation of the cartridge's performance. And lots of photos that they can use for marketing purposes.

I talked to Kip da' Yooper (my guide) today. From what he says and from what I have seen that my friend has taken through Kip, the odds are with me that I will take a nice bear.

You need to take a sauna with that guy, hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,301 Senior Member

Wow! Excellent score Jerm. Maybe they could pay for the Z guy to come along and do the autopsies...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Wow! Excellent score Jerm. Maybe they could pay for the Z guy to come along and do the autopsies...........

So I'm not the only one who thought that.

I'd leave him on the porch though Jerm until after one is down.

All you would hear is 338 this and that from every bush and shrub you passed
    Weatherby wrote: »
    All you would hear is 338 this and that from every bush and shrub you passed
    He knows better. Besides, the .338 Federal will be going as a backup and it will be my primary if for some reason I can't get a .430 SJS up and running by then. Opening day is September 10th-- it is coming up fast!
    -Thomas Paine
    Now, which sidearm should I carry?

S&W Mountain Gun .44 mag
    S&W 610 10mm
    Ruger SRH Alaskan .44 mag
    Kimber Stainless Target II 10mm
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,854 Senior Member
    SW Mountain Gun. It just looks like a sidearm for hunting.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    This should be a great hunt. Good luck, Jerm!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

S&W Mountain Gun .44 mag
    S&W 610 10mm

10MM, you pick the flavor.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

That sounds great! The only problem is that Zee will be jealous that he won't be there to poke through the bear's guts and take pictures.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

S&W Mountain Gun .44 mag

Yes
    Those guys at SJS Innovations LLC sound like cool dudes!

I hear the owner is a Jackwaggon, though.

:-)
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,026 Senior Member

S&W Mountain Gun .44 mag
    S&W 610 10mm
    Buffalo Bore makes some 220 gr 10mm at 1200 fps and 703 ft-lbs, which seems like an enough for a black bear; however,
    if it was me I'd still carry a .44 mag.
    But, he gets to sleep with his bosses wife.
    Too bad all she does is sleep.

I will be taking the Mountain Gun. It is a very special gun that I will never sell. Calebib did some work on it when he was in gunsmith school and it has gone to Alaska and back with me twice. I got a nice 44 mag load with the 240gr XTP happening so I will use those in it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I will be taking the Mountain Gun. It is a very special gun that I will never sell. Calebib did some work on it when he was in gunsmith school and it has gone to Alaska and back with me twice. I got a nice 44 mag load with the 240gr XTP happening so I will use those in it.

Winner/Winner
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

If you do hire a baiter, don't screw around with an amateur, get the Master! No use going half ass.....:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I spoke with Kip (da' Yooper/guide/master baiter of bears) last night. He has received the deposit from SJS Innovations for the hunt so my dates are locked in. He invited me to come up sometime this summer to get familiar with everything. I think I will take him up on that next month.

Got 3 out of 5 of the .430 SJS barrels delivered to me the other day. Guess which two didn't show? Mine!!! But at least they look like they did a good job on them-- that is all that really matters in the long run. I still hate having to wait though.
    -Thomas Paine
    As you suggested, absolutely get your butt up there and scout. I don't care how good a guide is, it never hurts to know your environment and the critter activity in the area before you go to hunt. Hell, go more than once if you can swing it.

Sucks that the barrel didn't show yet, but you'll have time to sweat that soon enough.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Short actions are still in short supply in my area.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    The Michigan DNR is offering a 6 hour bear hunting clinic for $25. It also happens to be at the same time and less than 30 miles away from where I will be on vacation....

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10369_46675_58936-356534--,00.html
    -Thomas Paine
    For every thing they are covering in that course, $25 is a steal.
    Oh, I got a Savage action sitting right here. And the tools (besides the gauges). Should I use a light 16 1/2" or a magnum 20"?
    -Thomas Paine