Forum elk hunt?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,445 Senior Member
Before the forum crash and all that happened, there was talk of a forum Elk hunt in (I think) 2012. Is that still in the works or did the idea die?
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Since I'm one of the originators of the idea, I'll answer.

As far as I'm concerned, it's still on. It will probably be next March before we can start nailing down details, though. If no one beats me to it, I'll bring it up again about then.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,445 Senior Member
    That should actually work for me. I won't know what my next 24 months are going to be like until February.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,806 Senior Member
    JBC when would you have to apply for tags and such?
    Weatherby wrote: »
    JBC when would you have to apply for tags and such?

Depends. The two areas that MHS and I have in mind currently allow you to hunt bull elk with over the counter tags. Assuming that same for next year, you won't have to apply if you just want to hunt bull elk. Just bring lots of money and you're good. :)

If, for some reason, the CDOW changes that, I'll look for an area that allows OTC tags and let everyone know.

If you wish to hunt cow elk or deer, you will almost surely need to apply for tags. But, we really won't know that for sure until the 2012 regs come out, and that's probably going to be in the Feb. 2012 time frame. Usually, you have until late March or early April to apply, and you can apply using snail mail or over the internet. If you apply using snail mail, as long as you mail it in by the deadline, it's good, even if it gets there after the deadline. I typically apply for tags over the internet.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Depends. The two areas that MHS and I have in mind currently allow you to hunt bull elk with over the counter tags. Assuming that same for next year, you won't have to apply if you just want to hunt bull elk. Just bring lots of money and you're good. :)

If, for some reason, the CDOW changes that, I'll look for an area that allows OTC tags and let everyone know.

If you wish to hunt cow elk or deer, you will almost surely need to apply for tags. But, we really won't know that for sure until the 2012 regs come out, and that's probably going to be in the Feb. 2012 time frame. Usually, you have until late March or early April to apply, and you can apply using snail mail or over the internet. If you apply using snail mail, as long as you mail it in by the deadline, it's good, even if it gets there after the deadline. I typically apply for tags over the internet.

Any idea what out of state tags for for, and if there might be a military discount of some sort? It looks like that might be my biggest expense if tags are over the counter. Hell, I'll just drive to CO by way of NM with dad to get there, I miss the friendly faces from the "Land of Encampment..."
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    A couple years ago bull elk was something over $500 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know the exact amount now, will have to look it up on the website.
    For the 2011 season, OTC bull elk tags for non-resident hunters are $551.
    Jerry

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I'll just put it this way....no one will be hunting deer lol. The mountain regions we are looking at are draw only, and those particular units are looooong draw processes. I have 5 points, still no love this year.

Bull tags are 551$ plus a few various fee's
    Cows are 351 I believe, might be 251 but I think they went up. A cow isn't usually that hard to draw, half the price, and just as challenging of a hunt with a much higher success rate.

We put up a post about the forum hunt right after this place opened up, but its buried.

Application deadlines are usually the first Tuesday of April, and they can be mailed in or done online. This MAY change up a bit, as recently the Colorado Parks Service and the CO Division of Wildlife merged into one government entity.

SS3, driving from NM would be easiest. It is really going to depend on how many people fully commit and what seasons work best for everyone. If you end up hunting my area that is how my uncle gets from TX to Gunnison, across Texas, up to Raton and then over some highway.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    I'm here in Colorado right now, a couple hours from both of your areas. I just got skunked on a pretty expensive (for me anyway)antelope hunt in Wyoming. I'm in. I'm out for blood. I just talked to my FIL about the hunt, he may come along for support, maybe bring horses. I'll definately have his spike tent, and other gear.
    Second or third rifle would be good, 4th could be pretty nasty.

Oh, SS3, and anyone else, there are direct flights from Dallas and Denver, to Montrose, CO. Montrose is about 2 hours from either of the areas. I'll be flying into Montrose, and you're more than welcome to catch a ride with me, if you like.
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Depends. The two areas that MHS and I have in mind currently allow you to hunt bull elk with over the counter tags. Assuming that same for next year, you won't have to apply if you just want to hunt bull elk.

I forget - what two areas where you thinking about for the hunt?
    I'm looking at the eastern/southern side of 551, either up on Marshall Pass or over by Needles Creek Reservoir. I forgot where Jerry was looking
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I'm looking at the eastern/southern side of 551, either up on Marshall Pass or over by Needles Creek Reservoir. I forgot where Jerry was looking

521 is the area I'm thinking of. It's sort of in between Montrose and Glenwood Springs, northwest of Gunnison, due west of Crested Butte. If you have a map, look for McClure Pass. If you have a forest service map for the Gunnison National Forest, check out the West Muddy Creek area.
    Jerry

I'm pretty sure that this has already been covered, but I want to make sure I properly set expectations.

We will be hunting in open areas that allow over the counter tags. This means that there may be a LOT of other hunters, and that the animals in these areas have been hunted a lot. The success percentage in areas such as this are about 20%, give or take. I've hunted GMU 521 quite a bit, and know where some waterholes, etc. are, and areas where others have taken game. I will be glad to share that information with anyone in camp.

Please come with the expectation that you will enjoy a unique experience, perhaps in country you've only dreamed of hunting. If you are one of those 20%, consider yourself lucky. If you only consider a hunt successful if you kill something, it may be best to stay at home. Chances of killing a bull elk in one of these areas are slim at best. However, if you approach this with the right attitude, you will take home good memories that will last a lifetime.

Also, in order for a hunt like this to be fun and enjoyable for everyone, we will all have to do our share of camp chores. This includes cooking, cleaning, gathering firewood (assuming a fire ban is not in place), fire building and extinguishing, and other camp chores. Someone may bring a tent style portable john, but there will probably NOT be any public facilities for using the restroom or bathing. I would describe it as primitive camping.

I have quite a bit of camping equipment, and will bring whatever I can. If you have equipment, start thinking now about whether or not you wish to bring it and share it. As the time draws near, we can figure out who has what, and make sure our bases are covered.

We should also plan on sharing all expenses, including food, propane, cleaning supplies, etc. That probably won't be a lot, but it's one of those things you need to think about.

The weather at this time of year, in the high country, is unpredictable. It's not unusual to go from the mid teens at night to the mid 60s during the day. Bring as warm a sleeping bag as you can, and be prepared for any sort of weather. It may be dry as a bone, or there may be a foot or more of snow on the ground.

The elevation in this country will be from 8,000 ft and up. Get in shape (advice I need to take, btw). Don't be surprised if it takes you a day or two to get acclimated to the point where you can do much hiking or walking. If you get an elk, remember that even the small ones are large when compared to the average whitetail. Be prepared to carry one out in pieces. You may be able to drive right up to one, but that's unlikely.

I don't mean to put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm, but I feel it only right to let you know what you're getting yourself into. For me, I'm looking forward to it.

See you next year!
    Jerry

If I have never hunted elk before, or even hunted in mountain terrain before, is this a good hunt to start on?

I hunt deer out of a blind in Texas...
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,806 Senior Member
    I'll carry you
    If I have never hunted elk before, or even hunted in mountain terrain before, is this a good hunt to start on?

I'd say it's as good as any. You will undoubtedly be in better shape than most of the participants, so the physical part of it should not be as hard on you as it is on others, including me. The closest thing to a stand will be finding some natural cover to hide behind or in, but sitting and waiting can pay off. The last mulie I shot was taken as a result of sitting in one spot for about 6 straight hours.

There will be others there, myself included, who will be glad to share what knowledge we have. Just come with an open mind and a willing spirit and you'll be fine.
    Jerry

Jerry brings up a good point! Come with a dream of filling a tag, but come more or less expecting not to and enjoying a good time.

If you want better odds of tagging out, I highly suggest looking at a cow tag. They are much easier to fill, but even then your odds are not great. That is just elk hunting.

I have even been thinking about doing a different season then Jerry, on top of doing the different areas IF the real actual committed numbers require it. 3rd rifle season is still OTC for bulls, and that is a *mostly* statewide tag. 3rd can be warm, but its usually much cooler. I personally prefer to hunt late seasons and let the weather help do some of the work for me. I'm hunting 3rd this year, which I haven't done in about 8 years or so, I'll judge the amount of people in the area and make a call from there as to next year. 1st season is for sure a no go, tags have to be drawn, and the place is crowded.

Pretty soon we'll have to start thinking about the next forum group hunt! I say antelope in Wyoming! Long season, cheap tags, and multiple animals per person
    Again, to give you guys a good perspective. I'm sure ya'll have heard some 'neck brag about a buck he shot darn near the size of an elk it was so big! Between his spits of chaw and drags off the can of PBR. Also think about the biggest, fattest, heaviest deer you've ever had to dress....and think of something over twice that big LOL

elkheight.jpg
    wildlife_elk_organs.jpg
    _DEERDRAW.jpg
    anatomydb-1.gif
    Just some more learning for you guys!

Gotta keep in mind your shot placement is going to be a bit farther forward vs a deer. Deer, the front half of the animal and you're probably going to kill it, the elk is only the front 3rd and you are better off in the lower front 3rd. Unfortunately, here lies HUGE heavy bones, and several thick layers of muscle and very thick hide. They aren't bullet proof, but there is a reason most folks don't go shooting them with a 25-06 and ballistic tips
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    I will be in CO in 5 days for first seaon rifle elk/bear. I love CO, some big bulls if you look hard but lots of elk period. Lots of fun. Good luck to all
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    Since I'm one of the originators of the idea, I'll answer.

As far as I'm concerned, it's still on. It will probably be next March before we can start nailing down details, though. If no one beats me to it, I'll bring it up again about then.

Good, Now that I got me a rifle fit for such an endeavor. All I need to do is load me up some 150 grain bullets. I've got the reloading die and some appropriate powder. I may have to get me some magnum primers. I didn't look through the load data yet. I figure if I can drive a 150 grain bullet at 3,150-3,200 FPS, I'll be in good shape.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    So I think my 7mm-08 loaded with some 140gr Nosler Partitions being pushed pretty fast should get the job done out to about 300 yards, what says the elk hunters here?
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Good, Now that I got me a rifle fit for such an endeavor. All I need to do is load me up some 150 grain bullets. I've got the reloading die and some appropriate powder. I may have to get me some magnum primers. I didn't look through the load data yet. I figure if I can drive a 150 grain bullet at 3,150-3,200 FPS, I'll be in good shape.

...150's are fine for deer, but was me, loading for a 7mmRM, I'd be looking @ a heavier constructed 160 or 175gr. bullet. Comparing bullets of similar design, it's been my experience they hold up better if you have a close shot in the timber, & once you get out where things start to get interesting, say 350+yds., they're generally holding their velocity better, deliver more energy & better penetration. You need to push a lighter bullet @ considerably higher velocities to outperform a heavier bullet @ longer ranges, & they become a liability @ short range. Super-flat trajectories w/ a MPBR of 500yds. is great, but I'd just as soon hold a couple inches higher @ 400yds., & use a bullet that I know is going to work like it's supposed to...
    So I think my 7mm-08 loaded with some 140gr Nosler Partitions being pushed pretty fast should get the job done out to about 300 yards, what says the elk hunters here?

At the max, and with a perfect broadside shot trying to hit just behind the bones. I know Six-Gun did a number on that oryx at 347 yards....but that is still just a bit smaller.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    521 is the area I'm thinking of. It's sort of in between Montrose and Glenwood Springs, northwest of Gunnison, due west of Crested Butte. If you have a map, look for McClure Pass. If you have a forest service map for the Gunnison National Forest, check out the West Muddy Creek area.

JBC 521, west muddy creek 3ed season is where we have hunted the last 7 years, none of us have taken an elk, it seems when i have a OTC i see cows, whan i have a cow tag i see bulls. This year i got a cow tag. I've always said thats why they call it hunting not killing. in spite of no elk we always have a good time. Are you hunting 521 this year?
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...150's are fine for deer, but was me, loading for a 7mmRM, I'd be looking @ a heavier constructed 160 or 175gr. bullet. Comparing bullets of similar design, it's been my experience they hold up better if you have a close shot in the timber, & once you get out where things start to get interesting, say 350+yds., they're generally holding their velocity better, deliver more energy & better penetration. You need to push a lighter bullet @ considerably higher velocities to outperform a heavier bullet @ longer ranges, & they become a liability @ short range. Super-flat trajectories w/ a MPBR of 500yds. is great, but I'd just as soon hold a couple inches higher @ 400yds., & use a bullet that I know is going to work like it's supposed to...

:that: I agree. I shoot a 7RM and like 150's for deer but for elk I prefer a good 160 grain bullet. I love elk hunting. It is a very challenging and physically demanding hunt. That's part of the fun.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    JBC 521, west muddy creek 3ed season is where we have hunted the last 7 years, none of us have taken an elk, it seems when i have a OTC i see cows, whan i have a cow tag i see bulls. This year i got a cow tag. I've always said thats why they call it hunting not killing. in spite of no elk we always have a good time. Are you hunting 521 this year?
    JAY

I'm hunting units 68/84 for elk this year, and 69 and adjacent GMUs for deer. I'll be hunting the season that starts on Nov. 5 and runs through Nov. 13. I'll be able to sleep in my own bed and hunt from home, as it's my 'home range'.

SS3, with proper bullet placement, I think you should be ok with the 7-08 and 140 grain partitions. If you can bring something a bit heavier, though, that you shoot equally well, I'd give that some consideration. As with just about anything else, bullet placement is key.

Snake, if you're going with a 7RM, I would suggest at least a 160 grain, premium bullet.
    Jerry

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,430 Senior Member
    At the max, and with a perfect broadside shot trying to hit just behind the bones. I know Six-Gun did a number on that oryx at 347 yards....but that is still just a bit smaller.

Yeah, I got that bull down with the 140gr. AccuBond (partition would be just as good of a choice in my mind), but in hindsight, I'd want a little more weight behind a bullet going that far out. The kill shot didn't get full penetration on a critter that large at that distance and I now consider that a liability. If I wasn't in the deep woods, the lack of blood might have been a big problem.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    For someone like me, or Jerry, who hunt elk every year close to home I think a 7-08 up to 250 yards would be fine. However....we don't pay 550$ for a tag, or drive more then a few hours. Tags, food, travel, time off....a couple grand all in....do you want to gamble that on a short range, marginal rifle? Just sayin'