Forum elk hunt?

13»

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you on that count, Dan. There's been a ton of elk taken cleanly with the 7mm Remington Magnum. Personally, I consider the .270 Winchester the bare minimum for elk, and the good Lord only knows how many have dropped to it.
    '

Oh I know its a good round. And I have no problem with folks using one, it was easier to say starts at 30 than it starts with 30's except the 7mm Rem Mag lol

Aside from that though, odd thing...if you talk to a number of elk guides, they'll say more elk are wounded/lost with the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Wby then any other cartridges combined. I think a lot of people choose the 7mmRM because it IS a magnum, but has a much more tolerable recoil. However, most still don't shoot it enough to become proficient, and I think a lot of novice elk hunters think the word magnum means it'll kill anything from anywhere in any spot. 300 Wby is in the same boat, people buy it thinking they need that magnum to shoot an elk at any distance, from any angle, and kill them no matter where they hit. The 300 really racks up the wounded game because the recoil is flat HARSH and people develop flinches and don't shoot it. They get scared of it.

That is why in my personal choices there, I purposely left out the magnums. As I said earlier they are a GREAT tool IF you know how to use them and you actually CAN use them. A lot people can't. Those that I listed all have about the same recoil level and trajectory with their medium to heavy range of bullets, as a 30-06 with 180/200's, just a bigger frontal diameter. A bigger hole is never a problem :)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hey SS3, if you're confused at this point, think about me! These same people told me the 7 mag would be more than adequate for elk, now they're drawing the low line at 30? Now I'm gettin dizzy here. Do I or do I not need to change the barrel on this thing to a 300 Win. Mag. to kill an elk?

It was a conspiracy to confuse and fluster you, as well as drain your wallet :wink:
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Seems to me that a 7mm RM would do just fine on elk. Personally since I already have a 7mm-08 I think if I were to get a "bigger gun" that more of a step up would be in order to make it worthwhile for me personally... **** Jerm you've planted the .338 WM seed...

You don't come here to get advice on NOT buying a gun haha.

Seriously though it might be a bit much for most shooters. Big recoil takes time and practice, just about anyone can do it, but you need to be committed to learning to shoot it right. Think of all those dangerous game hunters that shoot rifles that have recoil in the HUNDREDS of ft-lbs, they didn't just pick it up, hit the range once and go hunting (although some do/did, and some may have well been killed because of it). The 338 is at the VERY top of what most average shooters can handle for at least half a box at a time. The 300 Wby has about the same actual recoil, but damn does it ever feel sharper, it is a real jolt.

However, it WOULD be a great push to start reloading....Lee hand press is like 30$, dies are like 20$, scale, powder, bullets, primers, primer seater....you could be reloading in a very basic but workable way for probably 100$. And Jerm makes the best point of all...you can always load down! You can turn that 338 Win Mag into a 338-06 or 338 Federal, but the reverse is not true. Heck I'd have NO fears using a 338 with 180gr Barnes bullets at a slower clip, it would be flat, about the same recoil as a 300 Win Mag (meaning it should be about 27-ish ft lbs, 30-06 is about 22-24 in a lighter rifle)

I understand the money aspect of new guns as well, especially when the price of the hunt is taken into consideration. We are all just razzin' ya a bit and doing our normal enabling, like Sako said, if you really wanted to use a bigger gun I'm positive there will be SEVERAL on hand. I always pack at least 2, and I HOPE next year I'll have my 9.3x62 ready to hunt, so for sure I'll have a 308, 300 Wby and likely 9.3x62. I can only carry one at a time ;)
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...the .300 WSM is a pretty good step up from a 7mm-08. If you are "recoil sensitive", you're not going to enjoy a .338, add enough "gimmicks" to make it "shootable", & yer surashellain't gonna wanna pack it around 8-10mi @ 10,00ft.el. I've killed over 3 doz. elk in 40yrs. of hunting them, most w/ 175 or 160gr. 7mm, a few w/ 165 or 180 .30's, a couple last year w/ 220gr. 8mm. Put a good bullet in the right place, they'll go down, a bad hit, don't matter what you shoot 'em w/, & you're gonna have problems. Seems like every other year I have to run down an elk someone's shot a leg off...

300wsm is a FINE choice, I've killed a few elk with one!

Man Gene you keep bringing up the WSM's recently, you are going to cause me to buy one! You enable, but in a subtle way, very ninja like.....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,126 Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong. He could just as well borrow a rifle or be choosy about the shots he makes with his existing rifle which is fine and dandy. I am just saying IF he decided to invest in a new rifle and IF he decides to take the plunge into reloading like he has hinted at, the .338 WM would be a great option that he would have not have normally considered before. Not only that, but it would put him in the position where he has a great rifle for whatever opportunities that may present themselves in the future.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. He could just as well borrow a rifle or be choosy about the shots he makes with his existing rifle which is fine and dandy. I am just saying IF he decided to invest in a new rifle and IF he decides to take the plunge into reloading like he has hinted at, the .338 WM would be a great option that he would have not have normally considered before. Not only that, but it would put him in the position where he has a great rifle for whatever opportunities that may present themselves in the future.

If all the IF's coincided together, then yes, Jerm has the best approach! Hell I might just sell all my rifles and go buy the used X-bolt Synthetic Stalker in 338 Win Mag over at Gander right now......or not, but it wouldn't be a bad place to be sitting!
    Jerm, Jerry, Sako, et al.....here is an angle none of us have looked at to approach this....an excuse to go buy a new elk rifle...specifically as a loaner to those in need.....
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,391 Senior Member
    I've got the rifle all pictured in my head... Weatherby Vanguard 2 in _ _ _ Magnum, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scope, painted stock...

This will bear some looking into, I like the idea of having something that picks up where the 7mm-08 leaves off. I'll have to see what my financial situation is like when we get closer to go-time.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,257 Senior Member
    Jerm, Jerry, Sako, et al.....here is an angle none of us have looked at to approach this....an excuse to go buy a new elk rifle...specifically as a loaner to those in need.....

Well, if I get luck and find what I really want between now and then my 7mm will be my loaner gun because I won't have much use for it then.

Sako
    I saw one on GB.....but they were a bit too proud of it, wanted 1600
    SS3,

Sounds like a plan. Better yet....is to find a shop local, that does lay away....that helps take a bit of the bite off the burden :up:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    SS3,
    I'd think a well placed 7mm would do the trick, but what do I know. It's only a few hundred FPS behind the 7RM, I'm sure an elk's heart wouldn't know the difference. Seems kinda like splitting hairs, to me. Heck, several people have told me that my 6.5-284 would be fine.
    I'll have a couple/few rifles there, and I can grab a few more at my FIL's house, if I need to. You're more than welcome to use one.

Just concentrate on getting there. With the price of a tag, you're looking at at least a grand, just to get there. You'll probably need some gear, etc.

I'd think this would be a great first hunt to go on....with guys who have lots of experience. They can show you (and me) the ropes.
    The 7-08 will do it, the question is to what point. I wouldn't trust it much beyond 200 yards, and only on a broadside shot. Elk don't often give that shot. You have to remember you are shooting through 6" of heavy muscle AND bone. Look at the last page and see the elk pics, they are 2X or bigger, then a white tail, and the bones are much, much heavier. A few hundred FPS doesn't mean a whole lot, but several hundred ft-lbs of energy do. A HUGE buck is going to go what, 200-250lbs? A SMALL elk, is going to go 400lbs, if he has a cow tag. Bulls, you are looking 500-900lbs. A big cow or medium bull, might be up to 36" hide to hide.

A 6.5 will do it, but again, up to a point.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,257 Senior Member
    I saw one on GB.....but they were a bit too proud of it, wanted 1600

Saw that one to, been watching it. With the Monarch on it and the other extras might be worth considering if the price drops.

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,834 Senior Member
    I tell you all, I really am getting giddy with the 7RM. At first I wasn't eaten up with a 7RM, but the more I look at ballistics and bullet choices, the more confidence I have in it. Bye the time of the hunt, I will have a really good load worked up with a good bullet. I don't know what I'll end up with yet, but I want something fast but heavy. I know I always gripe about recoil, but I have shot a 7 mag plenty of times, at the bench. Never hunted with one but I used to shoot my dad's in for him every year. The recoil didn't seem any worse than my 30-06s I have now or my .270. Also, one thing I love about this rifle is that it is not too heavy. And it fits me really well. It comes up to my shoulder and I'm looking right into the scope. I'm lovin' it more all the time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    It was a conspiracy to confuse and fluster you, as well as drain your wallet :wink:

Ahh so the truth is out! Well, I never really bought it. I was just makin' noise. The 7 mag is on. In all reality it isn't anything but a .270 magnum with just a hair larger diameter. OK Well actually a .280 in magnum form. It will kill elk and larger animals in my opinion. Of course I have never shot an elk in my life.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    Looks like a good deal if you can afford it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Yea that is a pretty good deal considering the rifle went for about 650$ new, that scope is about 250$, the brake is probably another 250$, after market butt pad is probably 60-100 if it was gunsmith fitted, 30$ if not, the fluted bolt another 250$, and then add in hard case, accessories (cleaning stuff I assume?) and some ammo...yea thats probably 1300-1500 worth of gear/work.

KDF's are nice brakes, by the way.
    I'm really tempted to pull the money out of savings to get it... Worse comes to worse I could part it out and sell it...

AURGH!
    If you can't swing it without possibly hurting yourself, don't go for it. Deals like this happen all the time especially over the next few months as hunting seasons start/finish. I especially like trolling the used gun racks in Dec/Jan because a lot of magnums show up for good prices lol. More then a few times, I have encountered a good deal that happened something like this....guy gut shoots a deer with a 270, it doesn't die or he has to track it for hours/days, figures a magnum would've done the trick. Guy goes and buys said magnum, shoots it, can't handle it for many reasons, develops a bad flinch, hates to shoot it. hell it might not even get zero'd in all the way. he kills something, he'll probably keep it and possibly modify it with a brake. however, if he doesn't kill anything, or misses because of his flinch, or again gut shoots an animal and realized magnums are not the hammer of god...he says eff this and sells the gun at usually a considerable loss. His loss, more then once, has been my gain lol.

Or its chrismas time and folks are just broke and need money.

Either way, don't feel bad if you have to pass up this deal, you have plenty of time to keep looking around.

Yeah tell me about it. You and me keep going to gun broker we may not go blind but I know we'll go broke!!! :rotflmao:
13»