Home Main Category Personal Defense

Someone talk me out of this

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
Looking at picking up a Glock 21sf for a new carry gun. Now I know what you might be thinking, that is a little on the big side to carry (not saying it couldn't be done).

My plans on getting this gun is to take the grip straight to my band saw and carry it with G36 mags. I will still have the option of the original 21 mags with (or even without) a sleave.

I want a longer barrel carry gun with a short grip. Seems like manufacturers are giving me the opposite of what I want. So, me and Mr band saw are going to level the playing field....

Thoughts?
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,183 Senior Member
    Cutting up a Glock seems like a good thing.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,919 Senior Member
    I believe G36 mags are different than the 21 mags and I don't mean length. Don't think they will fit. Even if you shorten the grip.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I meant 30 not the single stack 36. Been a long day.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Going full-****-bubba on a Glock is better than wrecking a good gun. Have at it. While you're sawing, cut the whole gun in half. You'll be better off. Enjoy!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Glocks and bandsaws- - - - -kinda like peanut butter and jelly! Go for it!
    :up:
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,200 Senior Member
    Watch for the spring for the mag release that runs down that cut out in the front of the mag well.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,598 Senior Member
    I often carry an FNP45, which is definitely more cumbersome than a 21SF. I say go for it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,807 Senior Member
    Samurai Gunsmith!!!

belushi.png?itok=AwSIXIPl
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,919 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Samurai Gunsmith!!!

belushi.png?itok=AwSIXIPl

That's funny.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    You certainly aren't going to get any flak from me.

rdrholster.jpg

Aegis005.jpg

streetdefense4.jpg
    Think I'll leave the soldering iron in the cabinet....
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Think I'll leave the soldering iron in the cabinet....

I was talking about the cutting. That's my 17A (A for abbreviated). Started life as a 17 and I cut it to 19 length.

IMG_20130622_160534_835.jpg
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,594 Senior Member
    Seems a tad pointless to me.

You're starting with a gun that's basically a guy in a fat suit, and after finishing what you propose, you'll have a guy with no legs beneath the knees. . .who is STILL wearing a fat suit.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Eli, you managed to ugly up a Glock. That takes... well, I guess you could call it "talent."
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Go for it Colt.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    Eli, you managed to ugly up a Glock. That takes... well, I guess you could call it "talent."

I've seen his Glocks and they look good in person. I'm pretty sure he was after functionality over beauty anyhow. I'm planning to take a soldering blade (straight line instead of dots) to the front of the trigger guard of my SCCY so I can get some grip with my left index finger.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    My 23 got a frame melt with a few intimate sessions with a Dremel tool, and a Clip-Draw installed........it's dead sexier with a rounded trigger guard and melts in your paw and your pants. Chopping on a Glock is the ultimate personal touch you can't do with steel guns w/o the required machinery. Ha-saaaaaan chop!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    You need to do this. We will all love and support you no matter what happens.:devil::devil:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    We all go slumming at some point. You go get that fat chick, bruh. We won't think less of you.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    PICTURES before during and after!!

Better yet: VIDEO

By any chance are you related to Uncle Chris PJ ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I liked the 80s and besides, I saw it in a Jerry Miculek video and if Jerry says it's so, it's so. Unless Gaiman says otherwise.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,702 Senior Member
    By coincidence, I saw the leftovers of one that had been cut down today at my LGS. Only one round down, and what I saw was the waste, but the gunsmith said it turned out really well and the owner was pleased with it.

Seemed like a simple thing.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Damn. You shoot pretty good for a blind guy. :tooth:

I did see one done with a thin blade In a nice pattern, and it looked ok.

I've seen Eli's Glocks and shot a couple. His stippling job on the grips is GREAT! You have to handle and shoot one of them to appreciate it, though.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    I was talking about the cutting. That's my 17A (A for abbreviated). Started life as a 17 and I cut it to 19 length.

IMG_20130622_160534_835.jpg

Gunsmithing tools used to be a bit more refined.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Buncha haters! :tooth:
    The polymer pistols make it easier to personalize them and make them more user friendly. Try cutting checkering in metal and get back to me on how easy it is. :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Man! I think owning a Glock on this forum is akin to ownin a .270! Now I really want a Glock,

:silly: :roll2: :rotflmao: :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Gunsmithing tools used to be a bit more refined.

I'm not a gunsmith, therefore I don't have any gunsmith tools.
    Eli wrote: »
    I'm not a gunsmith, therefore I don't have any gunsmith tools.

You got a Dremel and a file, and I bet you have a screwdriver or two, and a hammer. So you DO have gunsmith tools! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
    G-Lock acquired. The deal on the 45 fell through, but I ended up with a basically new 3rd Gen 17, 3 mags, 100 rounds of ammo for under 400. Thinking hard about cutting the grip down but I'm honestly liking it as is. Which isn't a big deal to me since with the right mag and spacer it will basically be as is....

In other words, project temporarily put off until I have a few 26 mags at least.

Quick pic to avoid the fine
    edeqyhyn.jpg
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Dude, fire up the saw already. We need to entertained. Lone Wolf has stuff to correct it when if you boo boo.
    Dad 5-31-13