Home Main Category Hunting

Where are YOU hunting this year? (Plus new pics)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,447 Senior Member
They've updated the satellite pics of where I hunt, showing the fields I had last season.

I'll be putting them in the same areas again this year (# 1 & 2), plus a new, shorter range, field for handgun and bow hunting (#3)

I've also included a zoomed out view so you can see the 3 in perspective
The "Swag"
swag2fields_zps969a4e30.jpg
The "hay barn"
barn2fields_zpsbfa08a9f.jpg

The new field location (line shows where I'll be planting)
newfield-1_zpsb72ec2ea.jpg

Overview with corresponding numbers
overview_zpsa0265590.jpg

So now you know where I'll be hunting, how about you?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    North Florida just south of the Alabama line.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,891 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    Occupied God's country

fify
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Here around the house early. Later on we like to camp and hunt the Nat'l Forrest. But there are a lot of things up in the air this year so we'll see how things go. Main thing is to get my wife her first deer. After that it's all about filling the freezer. Anything else will be gravy.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,208 Senior Member
    michigan-satellite.jpg
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,897 Senior Member
    TBD.

As a side note, Paul's stomping grounds are VERY nice.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,773 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    michigan-satellite.jpg

Jerm thats a pretty large area to cover on foot
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Jerm thats a pretty large area to cover on foot

Yeah, but he's got'em cornered!!!

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    I have a few deer stands on the back of my property and can decoy out my field for geese. It is nice having a 5min hike to my stand. My son got his first deer on youth huntv day 15min after we left the house. I blew the doe bleat and he came trotting right to us.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
    TBD.

As a side note, Paul's stomping grounds are VERY nice.
    TY :beer: and SS3, Orchidman and Eli can all attest to the big field not being ANYWHERE near as flat as that satellite pics makes it look. Full of rolling hills and terraces.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,891 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    fify

.....yea, fair 'nuff
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Fremont, Pueblo and Custer counties in Colorado for cow elk. Fremont county (I hope) for whitetail deer.

I also plan on a tag along for antelope with Linefinder and Mosseybuck (maybe) in Kiowa county (I think that's the right county).
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    300 yards out the back door, just like I've been doing for the past 30 years!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    300 yards out the back door, just like I've been doing for the past 30 years!
    Jerry

Damn it is nice not having to travel to shoot or hunt isn't it.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Yep, though killing the ones in the back yard lose some appeal eventually.

Especially the ones literally shot while the wife or I are standing in the back doorway.
    We normally only kill one a year here at the house (This is my year IIRC), and where I posted above is only a 30 mile drive from here on her family's land. So at least I hunt from home, even when I'm "going" to hunt

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

50-something forum members who have attended the Southeast shoot over the past several years can tell you just how nice it is! It would be hard to push three generations of us out of here with a D-9 dozer!
    Jerry
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,897 Senior Member
    God's country
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Fremont, Pueblo and Custer counties in Colorado for cow elk. Fremont county (I hope) for whitetail deer.

I also plan on a tag along for antelope with Linefinder and Mosseybuck (maybe) in Kiowa county (I think that's the right county).

I really wish I was staying long enough to make hunting season here in CO.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...maybe walk up to the shooting bench for deer...

P5100001Crowdedrange_zpsae1c9130.jpg

...& drive up the road for a couple elk...

ishawoobunch_zpsa6367f05.jpg
    I have invited Wounded Warriors to use my back deck a few times. They seem a little firearms touchy lately though.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,542 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

Yep, Kiowa county. I'm getting itchy to chase antegoats. Maybe the rains this summer have helped out the area. Two seasons ago, they'd all migrated north due to the drought.

BTW.....let me know if there are (or will be) any OTC cow tags where you're going to be.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Yep, Kiowa county. I'm getting itchy to chase antegoats. Maybe the rains this summer have helped out the area. Two seasons ago, they'd all migrated north due to the drought.

BTW.....let me know if there are (or will be) any OTC cow tags where you're going to be.

Mike

Mike, I don't think there are any otc cow tags, but it's GMUs 69/86 second rifle season. It's the season that runs from Oct. 18-26. I just now checked, and learned that leftover tag availability will be posted on July 29. I don't know if I'll be where I have online access at that time.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,542 Senior Member
    Okay. I'll check the DOW's site then.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I have invited Wounded Warriors to use my back deck a few times. They seem a little firearms touchy lately though.

Most definitely Wounded Warriors has been infiltrated by some Bunny Huggers in the last year or so. They have a big fishing tournament for them down here at Port O'Connor and you can tell the difference in the management. It's not the warriors themselves. Most are hunters and shooters. I was helping them fish with my wife on the bank of a big marina and the warriors were talking about all the deer and hogs they had seen around the place. They were biting at the bit to be able to hunt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I'm not disclosing where. Only one Forum member knows where I hunt and I swore him to secrecy. But I will say it's somewhere within the boundaries of Jackson County Texas.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Most definitely Wounded Warriors has been infiltrated by some Bunny Huggers in the last year or so. They have a big fishing tournament for them down here at Port O'Connor and you can tell the difference in the management. It's not the warriors themselves. Most are hunters and shooters. I was helping them fish with my wife on the bank of a big marina and the warriors were talking about all the deer and hogs they had seen around the place. They were biting at the bit to be able to hunt.
    I put a knoxx stock on a Mossberg Roadblocker. The brake really calms the recoil of slugs for those in wheelchairs. My testimony on the ADA benefits of modern firearm features is the reason the only copycat features in MD are flash hiders, grenade launchers and folding stocks. Threaded barrels with brakes, vertical and modular grip systems and adjustable stocks are all completely legit. Too bad nobody in NY,NJ, Conn, Cal,I'll thought of it. After the one shot those helping him they are really touchy. I am hoping we can figure out how to get a few down this year.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I've got an antelope hunt to attend to in Nevada this time next month. Then, it's off to Montana to fill a mule deer tag and fly fish some mountain streams. Other than that, I'll be archery hunting on base for deer and goose hunting the fields there for geese and pheasant.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 41 cal41 cal Member Posts: 97 Member
    I really got lucky with the state of Florida's wildlife management area quota hunts...during the 4+ months of hunting seasons, archery, muzzleloader and modern gun I got three whole days in a very marginal management area!.whoohoo !Sorry just had to get it off my chest. Last spring when I got a survey call from our FWC about hunting they got an earful about how bad the current system is.
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder to find one ...
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    41 cal wrote: »
    I really got lucky with the state of Florida's wildlife management area quota hunts...during the 4+ months of hunting seasons, archery, muzzleloader and modern gun I got three whole days in a very marginal management area!.whoohoo !Sorry just had to get it off my chest. Last spring when I got a survey call from our FWC about hunting they got an earful about how bad the current system is.
    Ouch. That's a pretty tough setup and I would definitely not be pleased with the layout. I'd almost rather them limit the number of hunters further and extend the number of hunting days rather than giving out such a such a short hunt window. Don't get me worng. Plenty of us have gotten lucky and tagged out on day 1, but on public land, that's hardly a sure thing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Just this side of the Fl/Ga state line near Jasper Fl. Can't wait.... less than two months to go!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Going to Africa this August... Other than that... Ny and Ma...