Opening Morning Quail

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,342 Senior Member
Well, I took my first stab at Gambel's quail hunting this morning on the season opener. Got to the WMA dark and early and we started walking at opening light.

I took a friend who's never fired a shot in anger at a bird in his life and I had never shot at a Gambel's quail before. We had no dog, but I've been to this area before and know that you can flush them out of the edgerows simply by walking near them and listening for the quail's distinctive chirps.

It didn't take long. We walked for a short while and heard the sound of a few flushes but they were on the wrong sides of the rows we were walking for either of us to get a shot. Then, we hit a nice little covey that broke right in front of us. I shot the first two birds that came out and missed a third, but Rick was a little baffled by the action (I know the feeling having shot my first bobwhite quail a little over a year ago). I had to prod him into turning around as the last part of that covey came through and he bagged a bird.

We only stayed out for a little while today as my daughter had her first soccer game of the season this morning, as well, but we'll be heading back there Monday morning to hopefully get a few more.

Here's one of my two birds - a beautifully colored male:

Opening%20Day%20Quail%20held%20-%20Overton%20NV%20-%208%20Oct%202011.jpg

Opening%20Day%20Quail%20closeup%20-%20Overton%20NV%20-%208%20Oct%202011.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    Nice quail but Luis you need to lighten up a bit. You look like you need some Ex-lax in that photo.:tooth:

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,342 Senior Member
    Sun in my face! :p
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Dude, you looked PISSED! And that looks like a pet bird in your hand. Haha!!!
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Don't those buggers run and often flush out of range?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    BPsniper wrote: »

Like I told sako, the only thing I was pissed about was that blazing, orange breakfast ball glowing in my eyes. You are correct, btw, this WAS my pet bird...until I put him in the freezer. :tooth:

Oh, as an aside, the shell the bird is laying on in the closeup is not what I actually shot him with. I made the first three shells in my shotgun Winchester Blindside #2 loads. These are actually a test duck loads I'm trying for the upcoming waterfowl season, but I figured "what the heck." No, I don't buy the whole "hex shot pellet = crazy killing power," but I did think there was something to the Diamond Cut flight control wad they use to tighten up the pattern and add more shot for a given shell size. It does this with a less agressive wad opening system that stays with the shot payload longer, keeping it contained further out. I can attest that, at least in my Super Black Eagle II, the wad works as advertised: I got modified patterns with a modified choke (as opposed to full patterns with a modified choke using steel) and excellent disbursment at 30 yards on the pattern board. The proof was in the pudding as the load crushed these small birds, even at 25 yards using a modified choke. No, I don't like spending more than double what the cheap steel loads I normally use cost, but I have to admit that the results are real with this ammo.
    NN wrote: »
    Don't those buggers run and often flush out of range?

They can run, and often do, but they are loud in the bushes. Also, unlike the bobwhite quail I shot in Nebraska (which not only can flush out of range, but flush all at once), these birds are a bit more shooter friendly. One or two birds will flush from a spot in the brush. The others will fly out in a timed stagger from the exact same spot in the bush as the birds before it, so it's like a predictable fountain of opportunities flying out of the brush. Shoot one, quickly get your gun back to where the birds originated, shoot the next ones as they emerge. Not a bad deal if you get close and they don't blow out on the wrong side of the edgerow.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,728 Senior Member
    Ya know that you suck!!!!!!

I grew up shooting californian quail and pheasant in NZ over an English Setter. ( they were introduced to NZ in 1890..... The quail not the dogs)

Unfortunately, modern farming practices, coupled with high densities of stoats/ferrets/feral cats have caused them to all but disappear from where I hunt and I havent shot any for over 25yrs. ( There are still areas with coveys numbering in the 40-60 bird range but a 5hr drive away and having to jump through hoops to get a permit for the land makes it unpractical, let alone finding a dog ).

You have no idea of how much I miss hunting those birds over a good setter. sigh.............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman -

I hear you there. While it's becoming apparent that each subspecies of quail behave slightly differently under pressure, there's no doubt in my mind that they are all fun to hunt. I miss hunting with my buddy's poimter for tasks like this much like you miss hunting them with a setter. The rush of seeing the dog on point just before the shot is incredible! We actually have California quail here, though they are a bit further north. I'll have to try them and the other 2 species we have in Nevada that I have not hunted (scaled & mountain quail) someday.

I am thrilled to death at how today turned out given the very short timeline. I walked into the field with the primary goal of not getting skunked and a seconday goal of baggin a showy male bird for a standing display mount. I met both of those goals today. Now to get a matching female that isn't obliterated by #2 shot :jester:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    orchidamn -

:

The way I feel about my export orchid business..................suffice to say you got that right!!!!!!

:spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You owe me a new keyboard......
    orchidman wrote: »
    The way I feel about my export orchid business..................suffice to say you got that right!!!!!!

:spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You owe me a new keyboard......
    Whoops! :tooth:

Fixed...the post, not your keyboard.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Where are you hunting? those are the same quail we have here where I live.
    I would also recomend some 7 1/2 or 8 shot.:head:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator -

This is about an hour north of Las Vegas. These should be the same quail you guys have in Arizona (Gambel's quail). As for the shot suggestion, I did use #6 (has to be steel where I hunted, so I went with slightly heavier shot than I would with lead) after the first three #2 shots I loaded. I put those #2 loads in there purely as an experiment to see how well that low shot density would do given how well it patterned.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: Gotta agree!!! Good pics though. I especially like the 2nd one.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    luis2.jpg

:rotflmao:
    I like it! However, I would not be the first to do it. Anyone remember this one?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7406483/
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,538 Senior Member
    Cool, Luis! I have never killed a quail of any species. Not that I haven't tried. I just usually can't get a shot off in time, and when I do, I miss them by a mile. Good work!

A little off topic.......PM me your addy again. Machelle has been dragging her feet, and the last time I cleaned out my inbox, I forgot that your address was in there and I hadn't written it down.

This time it will not be for naught.........she's stitching her little guts out as we speak.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I like it! However, I would not be the first to do it. Anyone remember this one?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7406483/

Never heard about that one. Unreal that anybody would send them death threats because they threatened to eat a rabbit. I love animals too, but anybody who would put an animal's life over that of people needs to re-examine their life philosophy.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Congrats Luis, you have had some great hunting opportunities the past couple years. Archery season opened here Oct 1 so that is what I am focused on right now. FYI, I just got my trophies back from Africa. I will post pics soon.
    Yeah, it's been a ton of fun. I really hate Nevada's hunting system (it could take you 20+ yeard to get drawn for a MULE DEER here), but there is some unique game that is accessible to the everyman.

Definitely get those trophy pics posted and best of luck on your archery season hunts!
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Never heard about that one. Unreal that anybody would send them death threats because they threatened to eat a rabbit. I love animals too, but anybody who would put an animal's life over that of people needs to re-examine their life philosophy.

Luis

Jeeper -

What's even crazier is that the site that guy started really came off as a bit of a joke. The site owner would post hilarious pictures with the corresponding recipe beneath it. The picture would show the rabbit (alive and fully aware) standing in a pan, covered in lettuce and chopped carrots or some other funny pose. He would rename the recipe to something like "Toby a la king" or some such nonsense. It was truly comical. I personally think he had no intention of harming the rabbit, but the Pay Pal account was most definitely real (you could watch the money accumulate daily.) The animal rights loonies got wind of it and went ballistic. Next thing you know, the death threats pour in, especially when they realized that there's no grounds for the extrotion case they would threated when a rabbit has no constitutional or local provision under which they can be "extorted." :roll2: