Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Has anyone from VA been to this place?

GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior MemberPosts: 1,089 Senior Member
I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    All the gunshops in my area have a no loaded guns policy. So do gun shows. I think it's an insurance issue. No one ever checks, however.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    Same for gun shops here, they all have the signs.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,500 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    All the gunshops in my area have a no loaded guns policy. So do gun shows. I think it's an insurance issue. No one ever checks, however.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Same for gun shops here, they all have the signs.

If you politely asked the owner about that policy, how would you feel if the owners response was along the lines of:
    "You need to add to your list of titles:
    Loser
    Idiot
    In desperate need of a life
    life long member of the tiny d!(k club
    Just plain stupid

Now that better describes you.

[Redacted], owner
    I’m usually there everyday so you should drop by and see me little man."

Everyone who wants to be spoken to that way should shop at his store. And often.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    I wouldn't ask him about the sign. Not saying his reply was right, just the question was stupid.

I might add that even with these signs, it's not unknown for an Unintended Discharge.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    The Levine fellow was threatening from the get go. "Before I put the word out to 30,000 Virginian gun owners"

He's looking for a fight, not interested in discussions about policy. Screw him. Good for the store owner.
    The store owner missed an excellent opportunity to take the high road and explain why the policy was in place.

That would have taken the air out of the Levines threatening attitude and offered up a perfectly rational explanation to the 30,000 Virginian gun owners.

I'm not saying he was wrong. Just a jerk that missed a chance to show some class.

Maybe he was having a bad day. :uhm:
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Levine should have known the reason for this policy, or not questioned a policy that is widely implemented. I can't believe Levine has never heard of this policy before, and think he was looking for trouble. I doubt any gunshop in the area has a different policy. He's threatening and got a little more than he deserved, but I, myself, don't respond well to threats. I see them as a challenge and don't usually back off from a challenge.

An Open Carry nut. Questioning someone else's right to control his own property.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,340 Senior Member
    It might be a common thing where you live Gene....out here and in other states I have resided a gun shop with such a sign would be out of business in short order.
    What does open carry have to do with anything? The sign prohibits loaded firearms...that would include legal CCW as well....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    No, it wouldn't exclude CCW, it would exclude loaded weapons inside a place where guns are held and possibly dry-fired. It's common practice in any gun show I've ever been to. Where the Open Carry thing comes into play is the guy was a member of VA Open Carry. It's not just my area, it's pretty much SOP in many places.

Allow loaded guns in a gun store is an invitation to get sued for three generations if someone (and someone will) crank off a round. I'm surprised that loaded guns are allowed in gun stores in your area. Are you sure?
    cpj wrote: »
    On topic, I think the store owner is a fornication stick. However, I back his decision 100%. His store, his rules. I would simply choose another store.

:up:

Kind of like if a place that sells and services lawn care equipment had a sign that said:

"Please Shut Off Your Chain Saw Before Bringing It In The Repair Shop"

and I said "Hey Red, what's up with the chainsaw policy?" (obviously a stupid question) and his reply was:

"You are a Loser, Idiot, In desperate need of a life, life long member of the tiny d!(k club, Just plain stupid"

I would respect his rights to run his business as he pleases and take my chainsaw somewhere else.

Right after I figured out how to shut off my chainsaw. :roll2:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,340 Senior Member
    Are you sure?

Absolutely....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    It might be a common thing where you live Gene....out here and in other states I have resided a gun shop with such a sign would be out of business in short order.
    What does open carry have to do with anything? The sign prohibits loaded firearms...that would include legal CCW as well....
    That's odd because every gun store I've ever been in has those signs. Of course that's just GA and FL.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    The local store here says "Please keep loaded guns holstered".

ETA: Anything carried into the store out in the open, you are asked to show an empty chamber. I think the owner missed an opportunity to be the grownup.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    The local store here says "Please keep loaded guns holstered".

Same with the stores I've visited in Washington, Montana, and Idaho.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

I agree that the reply was unwarranted, but the initial email was unwarranted as well. It was passive-aggressive in a way that reminds me of my first wife. Or a Democrat.

"Unloaded" in KSFirefigher's world is pretty much standard throughout everywhere I've been. You can still carry a CCW but it must be unloaded. Without such boilerplate you're going to get sued closed if an UI occurs and someone gets hurt. It's a good idea, also, to keep a CCW holstered even if it's unloaded. Otherwise, you might get unwanted attention, such as guns pointed at you.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,565 Senior Member
    Depending on the shop here in FL, they might or might not have a sign asking you to unload all firearms (concealed included.) Others will ask you to unload all firearms EXCEPT for concealed handguns, some just don't have a sign. Talking with shop owners, some don't want loaded guns in due to the chance of an unintended discharge, others do it for security, and some just don't trust folks. Having been around a gun shop and seeing customers sweeping the sales folks and other customers, I can understand that. Seeing the sales staff sweeping customers, I just walk away.

On the other hand, some shop owners have told me they have no problems with loaded concealed firearms.

Was Levine a bit of a dweeb in his initial email? Yes, I think so. Being as there are multiple possible reasons why a shop may have this policy, I think it could be an acceptable one to ask. And being a shop owner the guy who ran the shop can have any policy he wants and that is his right. His reply, on the other hand, is not conducive to a business where folks are spending their discretionary income.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    I dunno..reading that page has really made me wonder if there is a large portion or back and forth communications missing.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That type of sign is pretty common in the gunshops in Tennessee/North Alabama where I do business. When I'm CC'ing (which is most of the time) I'll politely ask if they want me to clear my carry piece when I walk in the door. A lot of the time they just ask me to keep the gun holstered. If they insist on my being disarmed, I usually don't stick around long or buy much.

The open carry dude who wrote the email is a jerk. The gun shop owner is an obnoxious donkeyhole. Whiz on both of them!
    Jerry
    There it is, Teach. Azzwipes on both sides.

My problem with Open Carry is it generates signs of "No Firearms Allowed." Sad thing.
    PFD wrote: »
    :up:

Kind of like if a place that sells and services lawn care equipment had a sign that said:

"Please Shut Off Your Chain Saw Before Bringing It In The Repair Shop"

and I said "Hey Red, what's up with the chainsaw policy?" (obviously a stupid question) and his reply was:
    :

But that's my point. Levine DIDN'T respectfully ask the store owner.

He said, smartassedly, "I'll give you a chance to give me a response, but either way I'm emailing 30,000 potential customers and telling them what I think about your sign."

Levine was a douche bag. Yes the store owner was one as well, but you don't threaten some one's livelihood and expect groveling.

Screw Levine. I see and talk to pompous, self righteous holes like him EVERY single day. Give an idiot an internet connection....

If Levine had respectfully asked, I'd have the same opinion as you guys. (And PFD, please don't take this as an attack on your opinion. Just stating mine and it's worth what you paid for it)
    There it is, Teach. Azzwipes on both sides.

My problem with Open Carry is it generates signs of "No Firearms Allowed." Sad thing.
    And I guess that's why I'm not having as much of a reaction to the sign because we see them every day at gun shops. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an insurance or law requirement.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,684 Senior Member
    Pretty much every gunshop around here has similar signs as well.

Depending on my mood, I either comply, or not. Most of the time "not", there's a reason I carry "CONCEALED"
    If, for some reason, I think I might be taking it out to show someone while there, I'll clear it at the door.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,378 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Depending on my mood, I either comply, or not. Most of the time "not", there's a reason I carry "CONCEALED"

And there you have it.

I carry not because it's my right. I carry because it's not a bad idea to have a gun in case you need one. It's pretty simple, really.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    ...on the other hand, is not conducive to a business where folks are spending their discretionary income.

The sign is not relevant. He can hang whatever he wants in his business.

As a former gun business owner, I would never treat customers in such a manner. Many customers are flaming 'holes, but they are the boss. I only told a few over the years that they were not welcome. I told them VERBALLY, was never insulting, and sure as hell not written in a document to a GRO founder/exec.

The shop owner needs a lesson in tact.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    The sign is not relevant. He can hang whatever he wants in his business.

As a former gun business owner, I would never treat customers in such a manner. Many customers are flaming 'holes, but they are the boss. I only told a few over the years that they were not welcome. I told them VERBALLY, was never insulting, and sure as hell not written in a document to a GRO founder/exec.

The shop owner needs a lesson in tact.

Well you have to remember Levine was NOT a customer. These guys in this Virginia group are known for being really annoying if you do not 100% agree with their stance. By now...unless you are a complete idiot you should realize that these signs are there for insurance purposes and the occasional nit wit that brings in a gun he wants to sell and forgets to unload it. That way the employees can yell at them for not reading the rules.This is super easy. Just wear your concealed weapon out of sight....be quiet and do not whip it out and wave it around like you are the only damn person out there to ever own a gun. No one likes a show off.

If you make a stink about these signs you are a tool that really has too much time on your hands. These signs are meant for the person that can not handle themselves properly in a gun shop. That is all.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I heard some woman at Larrys asking a salesman if they worry about robberies. He responded how foolish that would be since everyone in the place would draw a weapon.

Not sure where you're talking about Teach, no place I go gives a crap.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,872 Senior Member
    Here you see do not unholster your gun.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Here in Fl, I generally see two kinds of signs. One says "No loaded firearms allowed." And the second says "Do not unholster loaded weapons."

I spend all my money at the second type.

The range I belong to does not treat you like an idiot unless you give them a reason to. Otherwise you are treated as a responsible gun owner.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Not sure where you're talking about Teach, no place I go gives a crap.

Check out the sign at the door at JC's.
    Jerry
    Well you have to remember Levine was NOT a customer. These guys in this Virginia group are known for being really annoying if you do not 100% agree with their stance. By now...unless you are a complete idiot you should realize that these signs are there for insurance purposes and the occasional nit wit that brings in a gun he wants to sell and forgets to unload it. That way the employees can yell at them for not reading the rules.This is super easy. Just wear your concealed weapon out of sight....be quiet and do not whip it out and wave it around like you are the only damn person out there to ever own a gun. No one likes a show off.

If you make a stink about these signs you are a tool that really has too much time on your hands. These signs are meant for the person that can not handle themselves properly in a gun shop. That is all.

Spoken like someone that has never owned a business. EVERY email, phone call, and web inquiry is a customer. The way you treat people reflects your business, not just the people that spend money.

I already said the sign was irrelevant. The owner simply could've replied "insurance purposes" but instead he went all a'hole. Levine has the ear of 30,000 Virginian gun owners. Like I said T-A-C-T.

Adam J. McCleod