Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

New York's best?

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
New York man dies during police arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28374091

''The 350lb (159kg) man complained he couldn't breathe as he was forcibly detained on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes on Thursday''

Really?

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, thank God it wasn't a 48 oz sugary Coke he was selling in NYC, they would have just shot him at the git-go!

Seems these moron cops don't think before they act and every week more and more of this crap comes out. They hate video of their actions don't they?

I saw something on TV where an informant and three others were shot after they were prepping for a home invasion set up by the informant on false information, they were unarmed and outside, one hiding in the bushes and they just came up and shot him said it looked like he was making a movement for a gun. I think this was their informant. None had guns at the apprehension, they threw them down.

Three years ago in Miami.

Anyway watch this a multiple execution, plain and simple. Not saying all them shouldn't be shot while breaking into a house, but damn.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/investigations/County-Agrees-to-Pay-600k-for-Deaths-in-Botched-Miami-Dade-Police-Sting-267103161.html?akmobile=o
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    This is what LE has come to. What do you want to bet nothing happens to these cops for killing this man.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    This is what LE has come to. What do you want to bet nothing happens to these cops for killing this man.

This is my biggest issue with LE. Lack of accountability.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    From another article:
    "the police approached him, claiming they'd observed him selling loose cigarettes."

Selling loose cigarettes is a horrible, heinous, down right nasty crime. I'm glad we have people looking out for such villainous thugs.

The NYPD would have loved me and my guys during Army field exercises... You go out there without enough smokes and you need to bum one it's gonna cost ya...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
    The victims (family) only saving grace is that NY doesn't allow choke holds. (From an article I read) that's pretty much the first thing they went to. On video.

Yep. It makes me wonder how many times they've used the choke hold and it didn't make the news? Why didn't the good cops stop the bad one from using a prohibited manuever?

Police Commissioner William Bratton said the officer depicted in the video appeared to have employed a choke hold, the use of which is prohibited in the NYPD patrol guide because it can be fatal.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/mayor-says-nyc-mans-arrest-death-troubling
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Call the lawyers! Ka-****!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Prelim autopsy reports (paraphrasing) 'no damage to throat/windpipe area'. They were quick to add that this doesn't mean there won't be further investigation and or punishment for the officers. Of course, the Right Reverend AL was there...:roll:

I'm not saying he isn't justified in this particular case, but I tend to have an automatic reaction to the man. Kind of like pulling my hand away from something hot, or gagging at the smell of rotting meat. The most dangerous place to be in the world is between that man and a T.V. camera!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    horselips wrote: »
    Call the lawyers! Ka-****!

He can't. He's dead.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Selling loose cigarettes is a horrible, heinous, down right nasty crime

Yep, my grandmother was one of those profiteers! During the depression, she would buy a pack of cigarettes (she didn't smoke) for 15 cents, and sell them to her employees for a penny apiece. Making a nickel a pack profit was better than the retailers did!
    Jerry
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

Sniffing Civvies is always justified.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Sniffing Civvies is always justified.[/QUOTE

HvyMax wrote: »
    Sniffing Skivvies is always justified.

FIFY!
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    The medical examiner has ruled the death a homicide. They know exactly who do it, but I see no charges coming. The NYPD will just change the rules.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-chokehold-death-homicide-medical-examiner-rules/story?id=24811834
    Not one thing will happen to the cop.

How dare you say that! NYPD is punishing this fine officer. He's on administrative leave. With pay, of course.

Look at the bright side: For a little while, he won't be able to kill anyone by strangulation for selling loose cigarettes. Not while on duty, anyway.

Adam J. McCleod

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Anyone brought up that this guy did break the law and resisted arrest?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    How dare he sell loose cigarettes!!!!!!! Did you watch the video? I didn't see resistance, unless you count speaking. The little punks were scared because of his size so they pounced.
    Buffco wrote: »

Yea, selling single cigarettes is a serious criminal offense. That man was murdered.
    Buffco wrote: »

You assume the cops are telling the truth.

Garner's words from the video:
    “I’m tired of it. Every time you see me you want to mess with me. This stops today,” Garner said. ”Everybody standing there will tell you that I didn’t do nothing. I didn’t sell nothing. …I’m minding my business, officer. I’m minding my business. Please just leave me alone.”

The man that shot the video:
    “Once again, police beating up on people,” Ramsey Orta, who filmed video of the incident and provided it to the Daily News, said. “All he did was break up a fight. And this is what happens for breaking up a fight."

Adam J. McCleod

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    How is selling loose cigarettes considering selling them as untaxed? New York has the highest cigarette tax in the country. When he purchased the full pack, I am going to assume that he bought them locally and paid the $4.35 state tax on the pack. How were they untaxed by being sold singly? It sounds to me like he already paid almost 22 cents of tax per cigarette.

So what if he re-sells them individually. The state already got their money.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    His previous arrests (several, apparently) involved smokes purchased out of state, and sold individually so he wouldn't get caught with packages without the NY tax stamp. Not exactly a capital crime, any way they look at it!
    Back in the depression when cigarettes were 15 cents a pack, my grandmother would sell her employees at the coal and ice delivery company she owned individual cigs for a penny apiece. They might not be able to buy 'em a pack at a time, but a penny was a different story! She and her husband paid $4.00 to unload a train carload of coal with a shovel, about 12 hours' worth of work. They actually had problems hiring day laborers- - - -the deadbeats would sign on with Roosevelt's new WPA and "earn" $2.00 a day to lean on a shovel and shoot the bull!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    His previous arrests (several, apparently) involved smokes purchased out of state, and sold individually so he wouldn't get caught with packages without the NY tax stamp.
    Now it makes more sense. But like you said, big hairy whoop.
    -Thomas Paine

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    Let's see someone justify NYPD doin' this:
    Duh! They like mammaries. Didn't you see them groping that one guy's moobs?
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,317 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    His previous arrests (several, apparently)
    30 previous arrests
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    30 previous arrests

This guy was a major crime kingpin or the cops just liked ing with him.
    30 previous arrests

Not a single felony and only a few misdemeanor convictions. Lying to police (ironic), untaxed cigs, and driving without a license, and less than a gram of weed.

Likely he grew tired of being choked after 30 arrests.

Adam J. McCleod

Not saying what happened to him was right or that he deserved to die for being a petty criminal....just that he was a habitual petty criminal...that's all. Used to live in a city full of them and don't have a lot of sympathy for those whose lifestyle leads to their demise.

NYPD has some serious issues...throwing an outlawed choke hold on a fat guy is the least of them...I'm more concerned about multiple cases of "collateral damage" when they open fire in a crowd....appears to be some serious decision-making issues rampant in the department....
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    ....appears to be some serious decision-making issues rampant in the department....

That is some dam fine solicitor speak. :up:
    Not saying what happened to him was right or that he deserved to die for being a petty criminal....just that he was a habitual petty criminal...that's all. Used to live in a city full of them and don't have a lot of sympathy for those whose lifestyle leads to their demise.

NYPD has some serious issues...throwing an outlawed choke hold on a fat guy is the least of them...I'm more concerned about multiple cases of "collateral damage" when they open fire in a crowd....appears to be some serious decision-making issues rampant in the department....

I get what you're saying. but none of his "crimes" had actual victims. He wasn't violent, nor was he a thief. Is selling untaxed cigs an arrestable offense, or is that something a citation would cover?

About the chokehold "not being a serious issue" NYPD was just caught on video for putting one on a pregnant woman for barbequeing on a sidewalk. I'm guessing chokeholds are SOP within NYPD, even if policy forbids it.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »

About the chokehold "not being a serious issue" QUOTE]

Where did I say it wasn't a serious issue? I said it was the LEAST of a whole host of serious issues....you could write a book about the screw-ups that PD commits....