Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Cop that killed 17 year old holding a Wii controller won't be charged

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
She's been fired from one PD, shot at a another guy for removing his backpack, wrecked 4 cruisers in two years, reprimanded for failing to follow orders, left her service weapon with a civilian, and killed a kid in his home holding a video game controller. What in the hell does it take to get her badge pulled?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/17/no-charges-for-ga-cop-with-questionable-past-in-fatal-shooting-of-teen-holding-wii-controller/
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,069 Senior Member
    The Raw Story has been referenced to as the "Liberal alternative to the Drudge Report." I think this is its own assessment. It's been cited by Bill Maher and Lawrence O'Donnel of MSNBC. Do you really want to reference this liberal source on this site? How about Bill Maher? Rachael Maddow? Chris Matthews? Michael Moore?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,482 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The Raw Story has been referenced to as the "Liberal alternative to the Drudge Report." I think this is its own assessment. It's been cited by Bill Maher and Lawrence O'Donnel of MSNBC. Do you really want to reference this liberal source on this site? How about Bill Maher? Rachael Maddow? Chris Matthews? Michael Moore?

Took me about 60 seconds to see that a lot of credible sources corroborate the story.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/03/06/1962988/

"In nine months.Gatny worked at the Acworth Police Department for 10 years prior to that and personnel records indicate that she was written up and suspended a number of times for various infractions.
    In a timeline, her supervisors say she "refused to follow orders" on everything from filing paperwork to carrying her walkie talkie.
    Other details:
    Gatny was involved infour car accidents in two years.
    In 2007, she reportedly "left her duty belt, along with her weapon..with a civilian employee" while she had her picture taken with someone.
    In 2008, while confronting three suspects, she fired her service weapon. An internal investigation found the suspect was trying to remove his backpack. She was convinced he was going for a gun, but a fellow officer said he never thought the suspect was armed.
    Internal Affairs concluded she should not be punished because the initial call for service said the suspects could have been armed.

In the case of Chris Roupe, according to a search warrant from the GBI,Gatny told investigators "before the door could be opened...[she] heard what she believed to be the action of a firearm".
    The GBI said Gatny then began drawing her service weapon and when Roupe opened the front door, she said Roupe was holding a pistol and pulled the trigger.
    Cole Law, an attorney obtained by Roupe's family questions the officer's statements.
    "The family says Chris went to the door holding the Wii remote to the gaming system, opened the door and was immediately shot." said Law.
    Law said he is waiting to see the final report from the GBI to determine what -- if anything -- Roupe was holding when he answered the door, but insists the family didn't own any pistols or handguns.
    Gatny was ultimately fired from the Acworth Police department for failure to report to work. She started requesting time off for medical reasons, but eventually used up not just vacation, but more than a month of family medical Leave. Her superiors said they could no longer hold her position open for her.
    Records show Gatny tried to getdisability, but the insurance company said her claim was "not medically supported.""
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    How about a report from an Atlanta station that covered the story? They state the same dumbassedness the cop displayed during her career.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/03/06/1962988/

Crap. PFD Beat me to it.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

You forgot Huffington Post, Daily KOS, and Think Progress.

And yes, I want to (and will) reference liberal sources at this site. FOX has a bad habit of ignoring criminality when GOP government employees are involved.

BTW, you didn't comment on the story, you only attacked me. Is this a person you'd want working at your PD?
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just looked up the town- - - - -it would probably be a good idea to make an employment change before deer season.
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,069 Senior Member
    OK, I'll comment on the story. She appears to be an awful cop and she'd never get a job at any of the places where I've worked.

Now, I'll shut up and quit defending every cop in every situation. Calli is right. I wonder why she didn't get indicted.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    SHE is probably the operative word. The Department would be call sexist and misogynist if they pursued charges.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Oh Puhleeeeeze, don't any of you tell me you're seriously surprised at this.