Black squirrels???

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
I know there may be a ton of different varieties of squirrel out there. But other than grey and fox squirrel, I have noticed a fairly large family of all black squirrels living near my mothers house (in city limits.) Anybody ever see these dudes? Its rair to me.

Replies

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Okay, just checked google. Not such a rariety. Pretty cool nonetheless.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,431 Senior Member
    They were sort of common in Nebraska. Not as common as foxes and greys, but we saw a decent amount of blacks working the walnut trees near where I deer hunted. I can't ever remember seeing any in a city, so that's new to me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,614 Senior Member
    We have a batch living in town, see them often in Marysville KS as well. One of our neighbors has a stuffed one.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Can't speak from experience other than about what we have in the Deep Southeastern States, and here black is a color variation of our common grey squirrel though it is rarely seen. In all my years in the woods I only remember one significant pocket of black grey squirrels and that was over on the west side of the Okefenokee Swamp in southeast Georgia. Snow white is another color variation in grey squirrels, and again this variation occurs in isolated pockets. Again, I've never seen but one small pocket of these, and that was just west of Tallahassee, Florida. Black fox squirrels with a white tipped nose is fairly common in the Southern Coastal Plains.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    I've seen quite a few, here and there. Most notably, Crystal Lake, MI. The state park was chock full of 'em. Pretty neat.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Black squirrels and "fox" squirrels tend to compete pretty heavily for territory and won't usually be found in the same areas. Southeastern Michigan (where I grew up) had all fox squirrels (the typical fluffy-tailed brownish critter) wherever I looked; northern Michigan up by Traverse City (where I worked my high-school summers) had black squirrels, nary a fox to be seen.

The smaller "red" squirrel would be seen either spot, being more of a ground squirrel than a tree-rat, to my understanding. The black squirrels, to my memory, were a bit more brash than the fox variety, more ready to give you a tongue-lashing for tromping through their neighborhood - but that could be a more remote population that didn't have to contend with humans as the most numerous species.
    yeah funny thing about the family of them I keep seeing is that they are primarily around residential ares, telephone poles, power lines and such. The gray ones are the ones mostly seen in the trees, woods, etc....
  • Medicine HatMedicine Hat Member Posts: 106 Member
    Where I grew up on the KS/MO border, we had plenty of fox, and grey squirrel, and enough black ones that it wasn't unusual to see them around. They all fry up nicely.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I live about 30 miles from Kenton, Tn., the home of the white squirrels. They have a White Squirrel Festival on July 4th weekend, every year.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,379 Senior Member
    I'll tell you what... That town is a pheasant haven as well! With all the abandoned homes and overgrown yards, they have some awesome cover. I see them running around everywhere.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,808 Senior Member
    We have lots of the black ones here.
    some day I plan to go limit out on just them
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    They are rare here in Eastern NC; I have only seen two.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Do they look anything like these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member
    Lots of black squirrels in MI...they are a color variant of gray squirrel, originally brought into MI by Dr. John Kellogg to destroy populations of Red squirrels...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Do they look anything like these?

Yep... That is what they look like.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,734 Senior Member
    I've deleted five of sixteen posts in this thread.

Knock it off.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    If you can see them, they're inept tactical ninja squirrels. The good ones are invisible and hang around malls.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Linefinder wrote: »

Knock it off.

Mike
    Your right. Sorry Mike. We should know better than this.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member

Knock it off.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Did it have really long ear tufts? If so it might have been an Abert's squirrel. We have them here in CO, don't know if they occur in Ohio.

aberts-squirrel-on-the-ground.jpg?w=500

Knock it off.

Mike
    I didn't intend to start anything with my deleted post. I probably should have left out the word "ironically". Let me rephrase things:
    I work all over the state of Michigan. In my travels, I have noticed that there is a large population of black squirrels in the city of Detroit. I have yet to see a black squirrel in the east side of the state other than Detroit. On occasion, I do see some on the west side of the state, but typically they are the exception and not the rule. If I were to guess, I would say that the majority of squirrels that I see in Detroit are black.

Along with the huge pheasant population, that is just one thing that I have noted from spending lots of time in that area.
    calebib wrote: »
    Did it have really long ear tufts? If so it might have been an Abert's squirrel. We have them here in CO, don't know if they occur in Ohio.

aberts-squirrel-on-the-ground.jpg?w=500
    No they are more of the less, grey squirrels, but all black. May be a norm to some, but very rare in these parts.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,613 Senior Member
    No they are more of the less, grey squirrels, but all black. May be a norm to some, but very rare in these parts.

Nope. On a 2 mile walk with the wife, I will see at least 30 of them. My old house had a big sycamore tree in the front yard that was a den tree full of them......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I've seen black phase grey squirrels in Michigan and Ontario.

2043233967_5adea98648.jpg

That is them! I only see fox squirrels where I am in Flint which is an hour north of Detroit. I am betting that southern Michigan is at the outer edge of their range.
  • ritchey sr.ritchey sr. New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    I have hunted black squirrel in the northern counties of PA back as far as forty years ago. They are indeed a beautiful animal and a prized harvest.
  • PAAndyPAAndy Member Posts: 50 Member
    Yeap in the Norther part of PA you can sometimes find them. Everyone I spoke with say they are a phase of the gray. but all the ones I have taken (only 3) were bigger than a gray but smaller than a fox. They are very cool looking.
  • 3RD LAR3RD LAR Member Posts: 40 Member
    I have one mounted that I killed in northern Missouri very rare around here. I have been wanting to get a white one to put with him but have yet to find one. I saw a calico version of a squirrrel but my friend got him before me.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now! There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" LTGEN LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC :iwo:
  • wookiewookie Member Posts: 128 Member
    I had never seen a black till the very day I read this post. That day I saw one on a power pole. Last week I went thru Marysville KS. Guess what the towns claim to fame is. You guessed it black squirrel capital of the world.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I've seen black phase grey squirrels in Michigan and Ontario.

Never seen ANYTHING like that down here. We just see the usual Grey or (much less commonly) Fox squirrels down here.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug