Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Rand Paul Introduces the FAIR Act

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
The FAIR Act would change federal law and protect the rights of property owners by requiring that the government prove its case with clear and convincing evidence before forfeiting seized property. State law enforcement agencies will have to abide by state law when forfeiting seized property. Finally, the legislation would remove the profit incentive for forfeiture by redirecting forfeitures assets from the Attorney General's Asset Forfeiture Fund to the Treasury's General Fund.

This is a great bill. I wonder how much protest we will see from the various alphabet agencies?

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1204
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That forfeiture thing is one of the most corrupt and abused things in government.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    It has pretty much become armed robbery by those trusted to protect us. It is sad that the Govt is a bigger threat than the criminals ever were.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    "Under current law, law enforcement agencies may take property suspected of involvement in crime without ever charging, let alone convicting, the property owner."

It is just sad that we need a LAW to prevent law enforcement from mugging citizens.

It's easy to find horror stories on the web about this type of abuse. The ones I read were too rough on my blood pressure.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    "Under current law, law enforcement agencies may take property suspected of involvement in crime without ever charging, let alone convicting, the property owner."

It is just sad that we need a LAW to prevent law enforcement from mugging citizens.

It's easy to find horror stories on the web about this type of abuse. The ones I read were too rough on my blood pressure.
    Could be pretty much any of us at any time.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct