Home Main Category General Firearms

Palmetto State Armory

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,349 Senior Member
Don't know if this topic has come up, but figured I'd share my experience.

On June 28th, I ordered a shotgun from PSA. It was the day their Freedom Sale started and they were selling ATI PX2 shotguns for $99. I can’t find much about them on line, but judging from the pictures, they look kinda like an imported 870 clone. Not sure yet. Figured for $100, I’ll buy one and beat it up a little.

Back to the point…. Placed my order on June 28th. They charged my card and the shotgun was supposed to be in stock at the time of the order. I waited a couple of weeks and didn’t hear anything, so I started to see what was going on and noticed their website says allow up to 15 days for firearms to ship. OK. I’ll give them some time. On July 14th, I got an email from them saying they didn’t have my gun shop’s FFL on file. They were on the list on the PSA website, but it said something about if they haven’t got a new FFL after a certain date, they would need it to be resubmitted. So I called the gun store and they said they got an email and had already sent it. Called PSA to confirm that they had recieved it, and after a long wait, finally got somebody on the line who acted half annoyed that I had called to begin with. He said they didn’t get a copy of the FFL. Called the gun store back and asked them to send it again. This week, on the 22nd, I still hadn’t heard anything and my order was still showing as “processing.” Tried to call PSA on that day several times. Never got anyone to answer. At this point, I was contemplating cancelling the order. But couldn’t get anyone on the line to do it. Finally got an email yesterday that my order had shipped. 26 days after I placed an order and was charged for an item that was in stock at the time of the order. It is supposed to be here next Wednesday. Don’t think I care to do business with them any more……

Am I being unreasonable??????

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Screw that!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

Technically no............HOWEVER...

You should've done research on the company before doing business with them. PSA has a reputation for having absolutely FANTASTIC deals pop up every now and then, stuff where you can literally end up saving 50% on some fairly high dollar stuff, but their ship times absolutely SUCK!

I've done business with them several times and will again, but my policy when buying from them is place the order, forget about the order, be super happy when you get a surprise visit from the big brown truck.

That being said...I only buy stuff from them when they're having a killer sale, otherwise it's worth the extra money to buy it elsewhere and not have to deal with the multiple month wait time.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    I gotcha, Eli. I didn't know much about them when I placed the order. I have since learned by doing some research that they are generally very slow to ship. Guess if you get a great deal and aren't in a hurry for it, what the heck? Now I know. But the lack of customer service is a whole different thing for me. All they had to do was answer the phone and let me know what was going on......
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    But the lack of customer service is a whole different thing for me. All they had to do was answer the phone and let me know what was going on......

Yeah, that might turn me off as well. I've never had to deal with their CS, but I don't take too well to people being dicks when I'm giving them money.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Don't know if this topic has come up, but figured I'd share my experience.

On June 28th, I ordered a shotgun from PSA. It was the day their Freedom Sale started and they were selling ATI PX2 shotguns for $99. I can’t find much about them on line, but judging from the pictures, they look kinda like an imported 870 clone. Not sure yet. Figured for $100, I’ll buy one and beat it up a little.

Back to the point…. Placed my order on June 28th. They charged my card and the shotgun was supposed to be in stock at the time of the order. I waited a couple of weeks and didn’t hear anything, so I started to see what was going on and noticed their website says allow up to 15 days for firearms to ship. OK. I’ll give them some time. On July 14th, I got an email from them saying they didn’t have my gun shop’s FFL on file. They were on the list on the PSA website, but it said something about if they haven’t got a new FFL after a certain date, they would need it to be resubmitted. So I called the gun store and they said they got an email and had already sent it. Called PSA to confirm that they had recieved it, and after a long wait, finally got somebody on the line who acted half annoyed that I had called to begin with. He said they didn’t get a copy of the FFL. Called the gun store back and asked them to send it again. This week, on the 22nd, I still hadn’t heard anything and my order was still showing as “processing.” Tried to call PSA on that day several times. Never got anyone to answer. At this point, I was contemplating cancelling the order. But couldn’t get anyone on the line to do it. Finally got an email yesterday that my order had shipped. 26 days after I placed an order and was charged for an item that was in stock at the time of the order. It is supposed to be here next Wednesday. Don’t think I care to do business with them any more……

Well I would feel sorry for you but after my last AR-10 purchase that said 4 months and then took 16 month to be delivered....Yep your a cry baby!:wink:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    There are supposed of their stores coming to the Charleston area. One about 20 minutes from the house.

From my dealings with the Columbia stores they are nice people who are busier than they have the staff to keep up with. Often times there are things on their shelves that are more expensive than their internet prices, so I make sure I take a smart phone with me when I went.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    All they had to do was answer the phone and let me know what was going on......

And I have been in their store while the phone rang off the hook. The 5 guys behind the counter were doing their best to keep up with the 12 customers who were all eager to buy stuff.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    timc wrote: »
    Well I would feel sorry for you but after my last AR-10 purchase that said 4 months and then took 16 month to be delivered....Yep your a cry baby!:wink:

Haha! Thanks. Sometimes I just have to be reminded to put my big boy panties on.... :p

ETA - But, and I get that it said 4 months and took 16, was the AR-10 IN STOCK when you placed the order and then take that long to ship?

I would have understood completely if the item was back ordered or required a wait. It wasn't. They just took 26 days to ship an item that was in their inventory and after they charged me for it.
    And I have been in their store while the phone rang off the hook. The 5 guys behind the counter were doing their best to keep up with the 12 customers who were all eager to buy stuff.

OK. That's understandable. Guess I'd been there and seen that, maybe I'd have understood a bit. Kinda gotta balance out the cost of employing enough people to keep up with business versus the return that you get for having them on the payroll. If the folks working the floor also have to answer the phones, maybe a couple of people to answer the phone and just be CS reps is a good idea. Obviously they're doing more business than what they can handle with their current setup. And since I only spoke to one guy and didn't get his name, I'll give the benefit of the doubt that maybe I got one guy who was overworked and cranky at the moment. But I hardly think I'm the only guy who wasn't impressed with their slow service and lack of CS and got a sour taste in his mouth from it. There's a problem. Do something to fix it.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    I've just purchased ammo from them a couple of times, and it showed up reasonably quickly. They seem to be the only on-line vendor I've found that consistently has .22LR *IN STOCK* that is 10 cents a round or less - AND - doesn't turn it into 15 cents a round with inflated shipping...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    You can buy Levis at Wal-Mart or you can buy them at Macys, guess which is cheaper and which has better service.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    They just took 26 days to ship an item that was in their inventory and after they charged me for it.

That's where I say, "Eat my shorts". Great deals are...............great. But, functional incompetence does not a good company make.

They can suck my big toe if they want to be that inept.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Pretty much my thought. They apparently have some good deals, which creates a lot of business. Apparently they can't handle a lot of business. Do something to fix it.....
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Well........on one hand, I've never been charged UNTIL it shipped.....taking your money and making you wait for stock is "questionable" business.....sounds like whoever runs the ammo dept. is on the ball.....This operation sounds like a Swiss Army Knife......you should dedicate people to either floor or internet sales.....not both.....not every employee is a Special Forces person that can multi-task while understaffed......this business model became apparent in the 90's after the first Persian Gulf war when a lot of military got out and went into business for themselves.....There are people that give their all......but not all give. You're right, if there's a problem.....fix it......I think that's Man-Code #5!!!????
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    They did the same to me (not as many days) on an AR Pistol build kit. They were real snotty about it when I called as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    My LGS is that way or at least can be that way. I have heard people say their customer service sucks, they don't answer the phone when you call and ignore you when you go there in person.

They can definitely get overrun at times and not have enough staff to get to the phones. If you are patient and wait your turn, when they get to you they give you their undivided attention and will assist you fully until you are done.

I have only purchased ammo from PSA and don't remember how long it took to receive.

I am an "in person" kinda person. But the store being almost 2 hours from my house, I wanted to make sure they were open on "Gunsalesman of the Year" day (President's Day) BEFORE making that trip!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    You can buy Levis- - - - - - -etc.

I hope that was a "for instance" example. Does any gun enthusiast buy Levi's products? That would be about as bad as buying insurance from Progressive!
    Jerry
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I hope that was a "for instance" example. Does any gun enthusiast buy Levi's products? That would be about as bad as buying insurance from Progressive!
    Jerry

The Levi company anti gun or something? Can't say I'm aware of what you're talking about.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Finally picked up the shotguyn at the LGS yesteday. 32 days from order to delivery. Oh well.....

Haven't had a chance to go over it real well, but first thoughts; not bad at all for $100. Design is very similar to an 870, as I suspected. Haven't shot it yet, of course. First thing I could pick on was the rubber recoil pad likes to grab clothing and get hung up. And it can't simply be removed or replaced, as it appears to be a unique shape. More to come when I have time to go over it and get a better feel for it.