Range report Zavasta M92 AK pistol range report

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Finally got the new AK pistol out to the range today for a little while.
Range conditions:
Partly cloudy, 15 mph wind, 97 degrees, 37% humidity and just plain DAMN HOT!

The beast:
I changed the grip for a finger groove grip, added the Midwest Industries quad rail, extended tube for the brace and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

How she performed:
I ran 4 mags through it today with a combination of steel and polymer mags, all ran flawlessly with no hiccups at all. Ammo used was Wolf black box 123 grain steel cased. Shooting the gun with the brace is very comfortable and the gun is very soft in the recoil department. There is quite a fireball when fired but it is not too much of an issue keeping on target. The Bushnell TRS-25 red dot is very well suited for this gun. The dot as you will find in most reviews is not the best, they say 3 moa but it is more like 3 moa wide and 4 moa tall with some distortion but it functioned well and was easy to used. I do really like that it has a really long battery life so it is worth the imperfection and this gun is never going to be a tack driver anyway. All in all I think this one is a keeper and will have a long term place in the safe as well as duty as a truck gun for running around the ranch.

Here is one of the 50 yard targets from this afternoon.
0FC39870-B1F8-4ACC-A708-5D4E4C576072_zps2nykqqif.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,772 Senior Member
    That'll work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Yea it will!
    Nice shooting!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    That should be a fun short range deer and hog whacker.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Nice!

You suck!!!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Yea it will!
    Nice shooting!!!

:beer:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    USUFB wrote: »
    That should be a fun short range deer and hog whacker.

Yes sir I think it will make a fine truck gun and may replace the M-4gery in my RV.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Nice!

You suck!!!

D

Thank you sir!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Couple of clicks will straighten that right up.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Couple of clicks will straighten that right up.

Should, I'll work with it a little more later but I was hot and wanted to get home and cool off! As is she will ruin somebodies day out to 100 yards easily. Tonight I'll zero the laser in with the red dot.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,081 Senior Member
    Good man! I saw a high of 99 here today and whimped out.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
    Good man! I saw a high of 99 here today and whimped out.

I had three rifles with me that I didn't even take out of the cases, it just was too hot to spend all day out there. I ended up just shooting the AK pistol and the AR pistol. I put a new optic on the AR pistol, still need to work on it some with load development; I just can't seem to get this one shooting as accurate as I would like with or without the suppressor.

4248D417-2704-4F4C-857E-9291306E602A_zpsvfs39yxp.jpg
    timc wrote: »
    Should, I'll work with it a little more later but I was hot and wanted to get home and cool off! As is she will ruin somebodies day out to 100 yards easily. Tonight I'll zero the laser in with the red dot.
    We don't plan to fail we fail to plan. You need a tactical pop up shade and a tactical cooler to handle such conditions. Nice in the 80's here on a covered range today. Made the road trip to shoot 500 today. We had dueling trees at 1&200yds and steels out to 500. The relays were the most fun I have had in years. Really cool toys now you need a range setup as cool as your guns.
    We don't plan to fail we fail to plan. You need a tactical pop up shade and a tactical cooler to handle such conditions. Nice in the 80's here on a covered range today. Made the road trip to shoot 500 today. We had dueling trees at 1&200yds and steels out to 500. The relays were the most fun I have had in years.

I'm starting to hate you a little! :jester:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Thanks for the range report. That thing is not looking a pistol though and I am guessing your not shooting like a pistol? Mine should be here any day.
    twa wrote: »
    Thanks for the range report. That thing is not looking a pistol though and I am guessing your not shooting like a pistol? Mine should be here any day.

According to th BATF there is no wrong way to shoot a pistol.
    According to th BATF there is no wrong way to shoot a pistol.

Oh I am with you brother and I know what your saying. I like the looks of it I haven't decided for sure but I am thinking about leaving mine as more of a traditional style "pistol" and just adding a red dot but can see your set up as more useful.
    To give you an idea of the Bushnell TRS-25 dot; it covers an area about the size of the green ring in this picture at 50 yards.
    95cdc82f-4de2-4490-b143-0f724544cfdb_zps5e631683.jpg
    I have always shot my larger pistols from a "suspender" sling setup. A rear point sling over the shoulder and across the back diagonally to the belt. I push against the sling and aim like a rifle.
    I have always shot my larger pistols from a "suspender" sling setup. A rear point sling over the shoulder and across the back diagonally to the belt. I push against the sling and aim like a rifle.

The Brace makes it much easier, especially with the extended tube it makes it about a 12" length of pull; you need to get one!
    The Brace makes it much easier, especially with the extended tube it makes it about a 12" length of pull; you need to get one!

More than one!!! Just what I need. More projects.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    To give you an idea of the Bushnell TRS-25 dot; it covers an area about the size of the green ring in this picture at 50 yards.
    95cdc82f-4de2-4490-b143-0f724544cfdb_zps5e631683.jpg

That is some fine enabling you are doing there, you suck.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

You know you want it!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

Seriously I told you to stop it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    Looking good Tim :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I have been seriously considering building out one of my AR lowers with the MP5 style stock and pistol upper. To avoid the ATF paperwork I am considering pinning and welding a golf ball launcher for the LWRC or AAC pdw look. Since the stock collapses instead of folds it would be MD legal with only 1 evil feature the golf ball launcher. I suppose I could do the same with an AK. I have a few extra pre ban lowers laying around. Ps golf ball launchers can be fun not Yugo SKS and dummy grenade fun but fun nonetheless.
  • Mrs_ChiefMrs_Chief Member Posts: 292 Member
    It looks like an M-4..sorta with all the stuff you added. Must be a real Blast (pun intended) to shoot!

BC
    Mrs_Chief wrote: »
    It looks like an M-4..sorta with all the stuff you added. Must be a real Blast (pun intended) to shoot!

BC

It is a lot of fun to shoot! A little more recoil then an M-4 style AR in .223 but not much. I can say it is giving the AR pistol a run for the money in which is my favorite. They do make an adapter for it so the AK pistol can accept my .30 caliber can.... Hmmmm
    How is that brace hooked on to the back go that ak? Some kind of adapter?
    twa wrote: »
    How is that brace hooked on to the back go that ak? Some kind of adapter?

It is a fork design that goes under the pistol grip to hold it in place when the grip is tightened down.

8-CENT-OT1648.jpg