Marlin Experts.. where can I get the correct front and rear sights for a 1979 336C

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,788 Senior Member
According to the Marlin Forums, the new to me 1979 Marlin 336 is the "C" model. It came without front or rear sights, as the former owner installed a Hubble sized 50mm objective and the rear sight had to be removed to accommodate it.

The rear sight location only has a dovetail cut, and the front sight location has the two mounting holes there and screws are still in it.

I believe I need the rear sight, rear sight adjuster and complete front sight assembly.

Numrich has nothing, and Brownells is out of stock.

Any help out there?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Darn. Covered my go to's.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Try jack First , rapid City, SD 605-343-9544. He's been my go to guy for years.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

Thanks, but that is just the folding leaf, it has to mount on something.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Why not call M arlin?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,454 Senior Member
    Why not call M arlin?

Because they are owned by Remington and their CS couldn't find their own with two hands and a bloodhound?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,040 Senior Member
    The original had a non-folding rear sight with a serrated "thumb" elevator and a front ramp with a dove-tailed blade. (Which you probably already know.) Jack First should be able to help you. The original is a good sight and rugged. I don't quite understand throwing away a perfectly good sight because you want to put a scope on the rifle.

The other thing with Marlins that pi$$ Marlin Owners off is the common practice of drilling for a sling stud through the bulls eye. If yours has been drilled, might as well order a bulls eye from JF at the same time. Or if you use a sling, never mind.

Marlins are great rifles, and the Marlin Owners Board an excellent source. You might want to scroll on down the board to see if someone is offering what you want for sale.

I have a 336 and an 1894, both made in the same year, 1976. Both were drilled through the bulls eye. They're a bit beefier and heavier than the Win 94, and I think a little more accurate, but not enough to really matter. The new ones, the "Remlins" are getting better, but Imo don't approach the older ones for quality or fit/finish. I saw one last Saturday that had the bulls eye drilled off-center. It caught my attention for 10 feet away. Inexcusable.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I have the rear and front sights off my .444 if you think it will fit PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I put a Skinner peepsight and a Williams fiber front on her so you are welcome to them.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    I have the rear and front sights off my .444 if you think it will fit PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I put a Skinner peepsight and a Williams fiber front on her so you are welcome to them.

What an incredibly generous offer! PM sent.

D
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I would put the Skinner peep on it, personally. It's not gonna hurt the value of it (as much as love my Marlins, they are shooters, not safe queens)
    and you are likely to shoot it better - I'd rather have that than the AK for hogs.
    eqyqusyp.jpg

Look like what ya need?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    I love the Skinner sights.
    I put them on my 39a too the only reason I didn't put them on my 1894 is if I ever try my hand at cowboy action you can't use peep sights
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member

Good to see. A lot like my local site karma goes a long way.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    eqyqusyp.jpg

Look like what ya need?

The rear sight looks right. The front sight does not have a dovetail, as the base has also been removed. There are two screws to install the base. I believe if the base were there it would have a dovetail

Thank you!

D
    I have to find this....

l_550520539_3.jpg

Brownells is out of stock / discontinued.

D
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,736 Senior Member
    Dan, I just scratched through my gunsight parts and found a Marlin 336 front sight base. PM me your address and I'll get it headed your way.

Edit to add: I'll include a couple of screws, too. You may have to shorten them a bit to fit, but I'll try to get the length really close.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Does the base have the sight blade?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,736 Senior Member
    Does the base have the sight blade?

No sight blade, just the sight base. The base is one I have left over from some parts I acquired a long time ago.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tennmike wrote: »
    No sight blade, just the sight base. The base is one I have left over from some parts I acquired a long time ago.

Thanks Mike! Sent...

D
    Ok so I'll send the rear sight with adjustment ramp and front sight blade.(all items in the pic)
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs