Home Main Category Personal Defense

Mossberg 590 Shotgun

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,615 Senior Member
My shooting bud has a new one of these. It holds about 7-8 rounds, has a heat shield (and a bayonet lug, btw) and is very reliable. First shot was last week when on the first round he rolled up an armadillo with a load of buckshot.

Anyway, he had some slugs, one oz. size, advertised at 1600 fps. They had quite a signature when he fired them. And that's quite an impressive energy transfer. I think an ounce is 438 grains? Like a 45-70 hot round up close.

The thing about this gun and slugs in general is they're accurate! With just a bead front sight, he was able to hit a target at 50 yards, at 12 o'clock. About 4-5" out of the center.

The more I see this gun, the more impressed I am. I wouldn't buy a SD shotgun (have a S&W pump) but if anyone likes pump guns, you could do a lot worse.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    My shooting bud has a new one of these. It holds about 7-8 rounds, has a heat shield (and a bayonet lug, btw) and is very reliable. First shot was last week when on the first round he rolled up an armadillo with a load of buckshot.

Anyway, he had some slugs, one oz. size, advertised at 1600 fps. They had quite a signature when he fired them. And that's quite an impressive energy transfer. I think an ounce is 438 grains? Like a 45-70 hot round up close.

The thing about this gun and slugs in general is they're accurate! With just a bead front sight, he was able to hit a target at 50 yards, at 12 o'clock. About 4-5" out of the center.

The more I see this gun, the more impressed I am. I wouldn't buy a SD shotgun (have a S&W pump) but if anyone likes pump guns, you could do a lot worse.

Is there really a shot gun called a Mossberg 590? I don't see a picture. Seeing is believing.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,382 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Is there really a shot gun called a Mossberg 590? I don't see a picture. Seeing is believing.

In the event that isn't sarcasm, the 590 is nothing more than a 500 with an open-front magazine to facilitate easier cleaning of the tube. There have been military variants for both that are pimped out with metal safeties, metal triggerguards, and - at least for the 590 - thicker barrels.

They're a lot more lefty-friendly / ambidextrous than guns with cross-bolt safeties, they don't have the 870's floppy shell carrier that can give the novice pump-gunner fits, and they're very armorer-friendly. The more I play, the more I like them.:up::up:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I like my 500. I used to be ashamed that I didn't have an 870, instead.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I like my 500. I used to be ashamed that I didn't have an 870, instead.

You speak of uncalled-for Mossberg shame. I wonder if there was ever Remington shame.

I think we're all pretty much too young to remember a time when there WASN'T a Remington 870, but there was a period of about 15 years when it WAS the cheap alternative. When you really dig in and look at one, it's nowhere near as sexy as Winchester's 1897 and 1912, but it drove both of those out of the market by being cheaper, simpler, MUCH more modular, and still pretty to look at. We also have a hard time imagining a world without a Remington 700, but again it was the kinda-sorta pretty, and cheap, option that killed the REAL Winchester Model 70.

Mossberg is going to have to apply A LOT of lipstick before they start winning sales because of "pretty", but they've got the Wal Mart price point, and they've got a gun that idiots have to work even harder than usual on to choke. Gotta respect the thing, even if nothing about it makes you wistful for the bygone age of craftsman machinists.
    WWJMBD?

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    They're good, cheap shotguns. Not all that cheap, but you get your money's worth. Kinda like the Savage 110 of shotguns, not pretty but good performers. The military version, which this one is not, has a thicker barrel, steel trigger guard and safety. I think on this one the parts are plastic and weighs less than the military version. Back when I was with the S.O., we got the 500s for deputies. This was 15 years ago before they had the 590s, I guess. As I remember, we paid less than $200 each for them.

This is the first era in my memory when Mossberg wasn't a bad joke. I remember the .22s of my childhood, cheesy looking some of which had fold-down forends that formed kind of an impromptu front pistol grip, pistol grip stocks with aluminum finger-grooves on the pistol grips. Ugly. I'm sure they were accurate enough, however I never owned one.

Eric, my shooting bud, is a pretty good shot, either that or lucky as hell at 50 yards with only a bead sight. We had a pretty good day, I shot my 1894 Marlin and got it sighted [email protected] yards, shot self longbows with another friend. I also shot my 94 Winchester and it shot very well, indeed. Just verification of zero, open sights on all guns. That bullseye looks very small at 50 yards to these 69 year old eyes. And the front sight is kinda hazy.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    My son's HD toy is a Cruiser with a folding stock. It has dropped deer with slugs, splattered old produce, shattered innumerable clays(usually with the stock folded) and lays in wait for anyone stupid enough to enter my house uninvited.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Mrs_ChiefMrs_Chief Member Posts: 292 Member
    I got a shorter 500 Mariner model and have had no problems with it. It holds 5 in the tube and one in the snout for a total of 6 and if I can't get er done with that, I'd better run fer hep screaming like a raped ape!

BTW, it came with a pistol grip kit, NOPE, try and shoot some 3" magnums with that. Even shootin a box of 25 bird-shot makes yer hand sting with it attached.

Wow, check out all the models they offer nowadays.

I also got a "Regular" model 500.

BC

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/pump-action/mossberg-500-tactical
    Mrs_Chief wrote: »
    I got a shorter 500 Mariner model and have had no problems with it. It holds 5 in the tube and one in the snout for a total of 6 and if I can't get er done with that, I'd better run fer hep screaming like a raped ape!

BTW, it came with a pistol grip kit, NOPE, try and shoot some 3" magnums with that. Even shootin a box of 25 bird-shot makes yer hand sting with it attached.

Wow, check out all the models they offer nowadays.

I also got a "Regular" model 500.

BC

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/pump-action/mossberg-500-tactical

Crap I put the pistol grip from the Cruiser on my 835 once. With 3 1/2" Turkey loads it would pick up and move back grown men a foot or two. That was a fun day with much old produce mulched.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,552 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Crap I put the pistol grip from the Cruiser on my 835 once. With 3 1/2" Turkey loads it would pick up and move back grown men a foot or two. That was a fun day with much old produce mulched.

:confused:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member

:silly: :rotflmao:
    Physics 101.
    Physics 101.

Damn the Law of Physics!!! Always getting in the way of a good exaggeration!!
    Well not my size grown but the 150 or so pounders shooting from the hip went backwards rapidly without falling. I only weighed 260 or so back then.
    Well not my size grown but the 150 or so pounders shooting from the hip went backwards rapidly without falling. I only weighed 260 or so back then.

Best to stick with reality around here. We aren't impressed with stupidity or flamboyant exaggerations. Lifting a man up and moving him back.................yeah................tone it down, High Speed. Just be normal and stop trying to impress. You'll get along fine here just being grounded. Enjoy.
    Zee wrote: »
    Best to stick with reality around here. We aren't impressed with stupidity or flamboyant exaggerations. Lifting a man up and moving him back.................yeah................tone it down, High Speed. Just be normal and stop trying to impress. You'll get along fine here just being grounded. Enjoy.

Not exagerating at all. I am 320 in all of my recent pics.
    Not exagerating at all. I am 320 in all of my recent pics.

Not talking about your weight, Killer.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Zee, have you ever seen a lepoard with stripes?
    Jerry
    Not trying to piss down anyone's back. Just trying to help the man integrate and welcome him back to earth. That's all.
    2 1/4oz magnum turkey loads hurt when I shoot them. it is to grown men what standard loads were to us when we were 7-8.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Ya gotta watch them armerdiloos. Treacherous and dangerous beasts, night attacks are the worst -- lost Ellie May and Jimmie Roy Bob both last spring.
    HvyMax. There are multiple YouTube videos showing 90 lb girls that were set up by their idiot boyfriends to fire a 12 gauge with turkey loads. Most of them rock backwards (their torso), a couple drop the firearm...... But none of them rock backwards two or three steps. And none of them lift off the ground.
    I counted 30 shots from two 1911s.
    I counted 30 shots from two 1911s.
    Yeah but did you see that dude fly backwards like 30 feet? That's a testament to the power of the 45 ACP.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member

That young lady shoots a 460 Weatherby and a 458 Winchester mag. Now I know these rifles are not a 12 gauge but she never took steps backwards when firing them.

100_1346.jpg
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    That's a testament to the power of the 45 ACP.

No doubt!!!
    Buford wrote: »
    100_1346.jpg

I shall call you................Tiny.
    Yeah but did you see that dude fly backwards like 30 feet? That's a testament to the power of the 45 ACP.

Heck, after Tom Hanks blew up a Tiger Tank with one, you need further convincing?
    WWJMBD?

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Ya gotta watch them armerdiloos. Treacherous and dangerous beasts, night attacks are the worst -- lost Ellie May and Jimmie Roy Bob both last spring.

While you think you're cleverly (and pompously) mocking someone for shooting an innocent animal merely to test the effects of a firearm, you're actually displaying a great deal of ignorance. While you in your sheltered city environment may consider them a cute harmless little animal, they are invasive and destructive. We dispatch every one we find as they've been digging in the pasture and create a great hazzard to the horses. If I see one, it's dispatched with whatever I have on hand be it a pistol, axe, pitchfork shotgun, or whatever. I suppose you place little fences around the fireant mounds in your yard (if you have one) to insure their safety lest someone poke fun at you for harming the tiny little ants.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    They also like to dig under foundations and make their nest causing structural damage, not to mention they carry diseases. We're seeing more and more of them in N. Alabama the last few years. For a long time the TN. river stopped them but they made it across. You can't hardly drive down a road anymore w/o seeing dead ones.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician