Home Main Category Personal Defense

Mossberg 590 Shotgun

2»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    Yeah, armadillos are destructive animals. The holes they dig can be dangerous to anyone walking unaware. They're an invasive species around here; they weren't here 15 years ago, but have been slowly moving east and north since then and now they're populous. They also can, although rarely, carry leprosy like p-dogs can carry bubonic plague.

The same day, I shot a rabid **** with a 9mm pistol. He was so weak he couldn't climb a small ivy-covered bank.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The same day, I shot a rabid **** with a 9mm pistol. He was so weak he couldn't climb a small ivy-covered bank.

Where did he get the gun? :jester:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Gene, sorry about the thread derail but thinking about not harming fire ants brought this to mind.:jester:

fireantshirt001.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    ..... We dispatch every one we find as they've been digging in the pasture and create a great hazzard to the horses. If I see one, it's dispatched with whatever I have on hand be it a pistol, axe, pitchfork shotgun, or whatever..........

We are still talking ''armerdiloos'' here aren't we, not novel writing texans. :tooth:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,139 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    they weren't here 15 years ago, but have been slowly moving east and north since then

Yep...I've seen a couple of road killed dillos on 56 highway between McPherson and Lyons KS....new territory for the little armor plated pests....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I like Tennmike's method of dealing with fire ants- - - -transplant shovelfuls of dirt from one mound to another, and watch the war. They definitely don't have a "good neighbor policy" with each other. Smear a little pine tar around the bottom of the shovel handle to keep them from migrating to your armpits during the transfer.
    Jerry
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Isn't that racist? Red Ants vs Black Ants. If you give the Black Ants a "9" it may be more even. Good thing there aren't White Ants. Oh yeah Termites. Dang! :yesno: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    We are still talking ''armerdiloos'' here aren't we, not novel writing texans. :tooth:
    Not a Texan. Transplant.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Ya gotta watch them armerdiloos. Treacherous and dangerous beasts, night attacks are the worst -- lost Ellie May and Jimmie Roy Bob both last spring.

Not to pile on, but as our resident 'intellectual', aren't you required by contract to rise above the usual snark and pettiness? Just askin'
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Not to pile on, but as our resident pseudo'intellectual', aren't you required by contract to rise above the usual snark and pettiness? Just askin'

FIFY.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Not to pile on, but as our resident 'intellectual', aren't you required by contract to rise above the usual snark and pettiness? Just askin'

Maybe it was "Snark Week"?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Armadillos are dumber than Obammy, they jump straight up when scared. I tried to keep from splattering one with my ole Saturn some years ago and centered the critter between the front tires, but he jumped up and whacked himself under my car!

I've seen them in FLA since I can remember back in the 50s, especially the southern parts, but they have spread as mentioned.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    I'm just here for snark.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    I never knew mallards were so mean!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Armadillos are dumber than Obammy, they jump straight up when scared. I tried to keep from splattering one with my ole Saturn some years ago and centered the critter between the front tires, but he jumped up and whacked himself under my car!

I've seen them in FLA since I can remember back in the 50s, especially the southern parts, but they have spread as mentioned.

To be fair, jumping 'up' to the bottom of a Saturn isn't going to be all that hard, even for a 'diller...:tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    I had two and sold them. I have shot Remingtons all my life, and always reached for the safety by the trigger guard. Nothing wrong with the two Mossbergs I had, but the damn safety is on top.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I once saw a Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun on sale OTD $130, I simply pulled out My wallet and bought it, it came with a cute nylon carry case, used it as a suplimental shotgun and later on sold it at a profit, no issues with the Mossberg.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996