Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Legal carry in D.C., open or concealed no longer legal

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
Well, that didn't take long to put it back to no legal carry. 90 days is enough time to give the D.C. government time to make it impossible to meet the requirements.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/29/federal-judge-grants-90-day-stay-dc-gun-case/#.U9fddkHaKuo.twitter

A federal judge on Tuesday granted a 90-day stay in a ruling that upended the District’s ban on carrying handguns in public.

The order issued by U.S. District Court Judge Frederick Scullin brings a temporary reprieve to D.C. officials, who were sent scurrying over the weekend to interpret the effects of the ruling that gutted the city’s restrictive gun laws.

An order issued Saturday by the judge struck down the city’s ban on the carrying of guns in public as unconstitutional. While still struggling to comprehend the scope of the order, D.C. police ordered officers to stop arresting people for carrying legally registered guns on city streets.

More than 3,000 guns have been registered in the city since a 2008 Supreme Court ruling overturned the city’s near-total ban on gun ownership. Gun owners since then have only been allowed to keep their firearms in their homes or businesses.

D.C. Attorney General Irvin B. Nathan asked Monday for a stay either pending a potential appeal of the case or for 180 days to give city lawmakers time to craft appropriate legislation to regulate the carrying of guns in public.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/29/federal-judge-grants-90-day-stay-dc-gun-case/#.U9fddkHaKuo.twitter#ixzz38u9zYgtR
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    What took so long
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I felt like I was playing beat the clock yesterday. I could have relaxed and taken my time.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    They'll just regulate gun possession at the local level to the fullest extent they can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    They'll just regulate gun possession at the local level to the fullest extent they can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    I think they'll go with a "may issue" permit with similar restrictions to New Jersey or Hawaii and be done with it. Until it gets challenged.
    Overkill is underrated.