Recommend a finish for my 1911

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,781 Senior Member
There's a new gunsmith in town that I'm thinking about trying out. I've always wished that this pistol was blued instead of shiny, and it shoots too good to trade off. It's a Springfield Loaded Champion. I'm thinking two-tone black and smooth some sharp edges. Tell me what you would do to it, without getting crazy on the spending.

SA Loaded Champ-Left Side:

1911_4.jpg

SA Loaded Champ-Right Side:
1911_1.jpg

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,025 Senior Member
    Personally, I'd leave it as is. I like stainless on a 1911.

But if you have to have it spray painted, go two tone Black/ battleship gray.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Do a "melt" job, bead blast the hell out of it and love it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    T'wer it I......checkered front-strap, carry bevel, 10-8 sights, matte grey cerakote, and G-10 grips of some description.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,083 Senior Member
    I like it just as it is. Maybe smooth the edges and fancy grips and call it good. But if you need color do the two tone.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,295 Senior Member
    Arched MSH (a lanyard loop is my personal hang-up, but I don't expect you to follow me on that one:tooth:)

Short trigger without holes

Knock the sharp edges off the bottom of the slide

Lose the Torx-head grips screws in favor of slot heads. Install little #60 O rings from the Home Depot plumbing department underneath them to prevent loosening.

Mill the ramp off the front of the rear sight so you can clear malfunctions on your belt or boot heel one-handed if injured

Heavy grit sandblast ALL OVER to get rid of the smooth

Dark grey/green Cera-Kote that simulates WWII Parkerizing on all parts but the sights, which would remain black. Make sure you do a few magazines too.

Brown Strider Knives G10 grips.

Of late, I'm leaning more to the ambi safeties that use a slot on an elongated sear pin to retain the right side lever instead of the type that use the grip for that task.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Brownell's sells a stainless steel "bluing" system that turns stainless a dark blue-black color. It's called "Oxynate # 84." Give their tech department a call and ask if there's a gunsmith in your area who is set up to do it, as it's a multi-tank hot salts system, definitely not a home brew situation.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,685 Senior Member
    I would 'blue' the slide and............. that's it!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSRLmVxKijSImRm0EkuVMq4DTybTDovZ5HjbcHQ039u49hjB6kQg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,781 Senior Member
    All good ideas - thanks!

I took it out and fondled it a little (the pistol, that is) and I can't decide whether to do any of it, or not. I only shoot it at the range, so it's not urgent that I make it more carry friendly. I'll mull it over a bit.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    To unnecessarily molest that beautiful work of art is a sin. Springfield Armory makes firearms as God intended them. :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.