Cheap holsters

2»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Carried for quite a few years using an Uncle Mikes nylon sack, have you?

No. But I used the composite IWB for my Glock 30 a while. Composite doesn't get stinky like leather does in Houston's sweaty days. Composite worked just fine, flexible and comfy, simply black color, decidedly unfancy, not "fotched on" as my grandma would say.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go with the Askins Avenger for the 1911 and the Bianchi Cyclone for the 686. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I bought a Bianchi 5BH for my 4" 686.
    My only complaint is it being made in mexico. It was fairly inexpensive off Amazon.com. (probably BECAUSE it was made in mexico)

I'll second or third the "good belt" idea.

After buying my bullhide belt ( www.bullhidebelts.com ) It has made a WORLD of difference in comfort while carrying
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    No. But I used the composite IWB for my Glock 30 a while. Composite doesn't get stinky like leather does in Houston's sweaty days. Composite worked just fine, flexible and comfy, simply black color, decidedly unfancy, not "fotched on" as my grandma would say.
    If it's like any of the other IWB holsters of theirs I've seen, they're an unsupported holster, i.e. they don't have anything to hold them open when you unholster the firearm when worn IWB. The holster then collapses, leading to possible loosening of the pants, and it makes the firearm much harder to reholster.

As for leather getting "stinky," I've never had that problem wearing a holster in FL for multiple hot summer days on end. Maybe it's that I just use good leather?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

My question was more alluding to the fact that you've claimed multiple times that you rarely carry a gun. You've stated that you usually have one next to your recliner or in the console of your T-bird, or a small Kel-Tec in your pocket. For those situations a gun sack (nylon holster) will work just fine, but for actually carrying the thing, day in day out, years on end.......they suck.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    I have an early version of this Bianchi that isn't made anymore. It's a Kevlar flap holster for the 1911 with velcro closure. A little noisy to unflap, but it's not a concealment holster, it's designed to protect the gun and offer quick access. I can't find it anywhere, but it's a great rig.

This is somewhat along the lines, but not as simple.

http://bianchi-intl.com/model-um84r-universal-military-holster
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
2»