Home Main Category Hunting

New state record gator

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,616 Senior Member
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Wow!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,616 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Wow!
    Agreed
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I've spent an entire career working in the woods in "gator country", and I've run up on more than you can imagine! The BIGGEST however, was in Mobile Bay! That "sucker' was about 35 feet long and at least 5,000 pounds! It seemed that way, anyhow!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Gonna make a lot of fried fritters.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I've seen a couple around 14 feet and it was told to me by a game warden that after the 83 freeze they found a dead female up Coloma Creek that froze to death that was almost 18 feet. But I've never seen anything close to that and that's as big as I ever heard of if it's true. But even if it is, 15 feet is still HUGE! That would make a lot of shoes.

The two I saw that were about 14 feet (judged by the size of the boat I was in) you could have put a saddle on.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,616 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I've seen a couple around 14 feet and it was told to me by a game warden that after the 83 freeze they found a dead female up Coloma Creek that froze to death that was almost 18 feet. But I've never seen anything close to that and that's as big as I ever heard of if it's true. But even if it is, 15 feet is still HUGE! That would make a lot of shoes.

The two I saw that were about 14 feet (judged by the size of the boat I was in) you could have put a saddle on.
    Mike the Texas state record is 14'3"
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/us/texas-big-gator/

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Mike the Texas state record is 14'3"
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/us/texas-big-gator/

That's the official record. And the article you refer to says largest ever "CERTIFIED!". I don't doubt that that was the largest here at the time it was killed, but I've heard that story about the 18 foot female from more than one source and it was also found dead as the story goes and I'm not sure if that would count as an official record if it was even reported. Also, I was told that it was found in a decaying state. I know where there's a few around 14 feet though. Guadalupe River Bottom about 19 miles SW of here. That's always been posted land with limited numbers of people allowed in that swamp. Unmolested is the way they get big. It's a reptile and reptiles grow as long as they live. There's no doubt several 14 footers that were never certified.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.